mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

L96 style 98 Rifle - Build Thread

This isn't the first one of these I've seen - but I hadn't seen the others until after I'd started my own project. I started off with an old 25 dollar 98 in ok shape, and I grabbed a broken L96 airsoft rifle off craigslist for 20 bucks.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ UPDATE!! 10/26/12 }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Final assembly complete. Its ready for its first game this weekend. Projects like this are never really over, but its definitely ready for the field. Time to put some scratches in the paint

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ UPDATE!! 10/24/12 }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Busy painting...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ UPDATE!! 10/21/12 }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

More work this weekend. I've more or less got it far enough along that I can use it in game. All the mounting hardware is finished. Air source is complete. I just put the connection directly under where it exits the valve. I wasn't planning on using a riser but I think I like the look and the scope sits just about perfect on it. Tac cap for now but I may change that later on... Tried it out this afternoon and it worked great except that it needs a stronger hammer spring. I think this one is a little worn out. Highest velocity I could hit was 280. I have more springs in the tool box... just need to swap one out. Needs paintwork and some finishing touches, but I'm pretty darn happy how it turned out.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ UPDATE!! 10/15/12 }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Slowly but surely I've been tinkering with this thing. Setting the marker in the stock perfectly always takes longer than I think it should. I managed to mount the marker to the gun using two sheet metal brackets (not pictured). One screw through an original stock bolt hole. The other through the bottom of the stock. All the hardware will later be painted, along with the rest of the marker. I'll keep the black and green.... just clean it up a bit. I'm going with a cyclone setup for the time being. Eventually I'd like to make it use a tube magazine off a PT extreme.

Here's where it sits today....

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ First Update - 9/2/12 }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

So far I've managed to mill/cut/grind/and fill the 98 shell to just about the shape I want. I removed the lettering and the rear sight along with all the necessary cutting to make it fit the stock.

The stock has been hollowed out as necessary and I went through a couple trigger configurations until I found one that fit perfect. The 98 is set relatively far back but it works perfectly with just a double trigger.

The barrel needs to be swapped out... the current barrel is just for mock-up. I'm looking at the 18'' recon barrels but haven't finalized my decision quite yet. So far its looking pretty nice. Progress pics below.

Last edited by Loochy88; 10-27-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Loochy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
****ing speak up Im deaf!

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Slick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
If you are not stalking - you are not showing love...
Feedback
Dr. VonDeafingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

just needs a better scope, or put some badass iron sights on it
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

yes, the scope is a 10 dollar garage sale find. Awesome I know.
Loochy88 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions