mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Professional Hobbyist

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Anodizing removal help

OK, so I have looked around and I found a thread with a wealth of info on the different methods of removing ano, no problems there. So I decided I'd try the easy off method on my cocker body and thats where the problems happen. The outside came off fine but I noticed that the inside was starting to pit and I still couldnt scrape out the ano. The top tube should be easy enough to work with but I cant seem to find a way to get into the valve chamber to get itat the anno there with anything useful, and I dont really wanna risk damaging the body any further with harsh chemicals. Any suggestions?

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
markermasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

It is often the aluminum itself that is guilty of pitting. It can have copper or other metal inclusions that the caustic will get first. Even well known brands can have a run with poorly processed aluminum. The commercial strippers do a little better with this, but sometimes it gets bad.

A lye bath gets the interior bores better than spray on stuff. It helps to have a brush that can get inside there (beware of brush flicking of caustic).

Pitting can be hidden by matte finishing (dust) or sanding until all the pits are gone (not fun). You can also try a spotted or splashed ano to blend them in. On a sealing bore surface (like a regulator cylinder), it can be difficult to rehab. An oversize or harder o-ring or new custom piston may be needed.

If you can't sand the lower bore and have to go back with stripping, wash the lower bore with acetone or a lot of soap and water to be sure you have all of the oil out of it. Oil residue will slow the strip on that spot, creating uneven stripping. Since none of the seals in the lower bore move, it shouldn't be terrible to have "some" pitting there anyway.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Professional Hobbyist

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Thanks, I ended up doing a bit if a flapper wheel set up to smooth out the bores. It seals and shoots well so I'm happy

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
markermasher is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions