mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tug Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
I know they have gun shows in canada right? From personal experience, gun shows are great places to find flintlock fans they tend to be a good source of raw wood stocks. Or, since you have a year, get to whittling.
Yeah, I think unless I luck out and find a nice trap stock I'm gonna be sharpening my knives and chisels... If anyone is versed in firearms, help me out before I give gunshops a call: I've found that "trap" stocks most often have wood that extends further forward, flanking the sides of the receiver. Is that called the "inlet"? I know on swords, the metal core that extends back into the handle is the "tang"... I hate trying to communicate a custom project without knowing the terminology. I need something that has a long enough grip that I can hollow out (or that is hollowed out already) to house some air fittings.

There's a place here in town that carries a good selection of dried hardwood. If it comes to that, hopefully I can find a piece at a reasonable price.

Do they really only do the Pile of Poo builds once a year?
My feedback: MCB / eBay

Last edited by freedummy; 11-11-2012 at 11:01 PM.
freedummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brumski

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

i dunno the actual timeline for the buildoff the original post said "next years build off if the tradition continues" so I went with that

the reason i brought up flint lock fans at guns shows:

when I first got my pgp way back, i was at a gun show a few days later and i bought a kit for $60 that lets you build this exact pistol.

the wood is rough fresh out the box, so you can do any sanding/milling/ woodburning you wish. there was also a rifle kit.

Point is though, they sold blank stocks by themselves too in case you had a major oops with the first. At the time it was less than half the cost of another kit.

something worth mentioning too. if you're at a gun show, and dont see what you're looking for, tell the people behind the table. Alot of times, people don't have enough room to put out everything they brought in.

And while I'm thinking about it, look on your local craigslist equivalent and see if anyone does "chainsaw art" if the are half decent, they could cut you down a basic starting point in no time and probably charge you a 6 pack.
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tug Contest Winner

Ah, yeah I guess that statement was a bit misleading. I think I was meaning "next year", as in I wouldn't be able to start anything until January... But I also have no idea if these things are scheduled or just happen randomly throughout the year.

Good ideas, though. I think it's time I start calling around, see if there are any gun shows coming up...
Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Hey, a CVA Colonial pistol. I built one of them back in High School. it shot pretty well too.

Havlin Sales sells lots of Mossberg parts- I'm sure you can find a wood stock off of an M-500, either wood or composite.
sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
old but still playing

Send a message via MSN to Ranger 53

Go to the gun shop on 9th avenue and ask them if they have any stocks for sale. I purchased 4 about a year ago from them for about 30 each. I let them know that I wantedthem for building a paintball marker and they wouldn't be used for firearm and they were great to deal with.
Ranger 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tug Contest Winner

Thanks Ranger 53! Always good to hear from a local who's been there before. That's the one in Inglewood, right? I think I'll try make a trip there and The Shooting Edge further down Blackfoot too. I gave them a call and they also said they have some used stocks I could look at.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Team Long Stroke

Fan of EMR
And the receiver extending into the the stock like that should be called the tang as well FWIW
Kinda scary how someone in a bright red hawaiian shirt can sneak up behind you like that, huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB CHAT
[20:54:32] <Walking_Target> Kinda awesome, you walk in and there's the giant black dildo right in front of the register
[20:54:33] <thisissparta> it's AWESOME.
My Budding Feedback
MCB
LilShank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
old but still playing

Send a message via MSN to Ranger 53

Yes it is and great people to talk to as well.
Ranger 53 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions