mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
The only "issue" with a spoolie Airsoft gun *might* be the cycle time.

Consider a two chamber design. The first chamber could be called a volumizer, and would become disconnected from the actual valve and dump chamber upon entering the firing cycle. The second is the actual dump chamber.

I have created vortex driven Airsoft BB launchers that will easily exceed 300 FPS on 60 PSI, with a cyclic rate of nearly 50 BBs per second (3000 rounds is just under a minute)

The good news is... With a mostly non-frangible projectile, you do not have to worry about force balance, as much.

Have you considered building a FASOR style gun? Using a spring to reset the bolt, and a burst of air to move the bolt/close the chamber might work well. Of course you could use a coil and make a giant "solenoid" to move the bolt and open/close the chamber <evil grin>

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Current Freak compatible inserts in stock:
.665 = 0, .670 = 16, .675 = 3, .678 = 4, .680 = 4, .682 = 4, .685 = 11

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

TY, Man you have not changed a bit. It would be really bad if we lived closer....between your machining skills and my composite shop we could really make a mess of things.

IFFFFffffff, I go the airsoft direction it will be a sniper system so rate of fire is not really an issue.

H**** we still have paint, masks, pods, pod packs, a custom Ion, and a hopper or two. Picking up a couple of nice pump guns seems like the logical way to go.....
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I think you should build a vortex block based suppression weapon... Work toward a rate of fire in the 100 BB per second or more class. Think airsoft flamethrower

If you intend to go sniper... use a hammer poppet system, and a barrel length tuned for velocity. If you want to make it adjustable, consider porting that can be blocked for additional velocity. The biggest thing you want is a more reliable hop up system for additional range... The stuff on the market right now is... pretty bad. Maybe a CF barrel with the 12 o'clock position having a strip of something rough to induce backspin? The barrel would have to be a non round profile, to allow mounting of the backspin strip... and possible replacement when it wears out. Maybe a D shaped profile, with the D being stretched to accomodate the additional material requirements. The CF would give you the rigidity, and that would tend to lead to better repeatability. The back spin will still cause shot scatter, due to aerodynamic effects... blah blah blah.

Consider grabbing whatever shell you wish to place this beast in, and building to fit those constraints.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

If you look at the relatively small air chamber on battery airsoft guns, I think you could probably get away with something simple like a pneumatic ram driving a piston in a cylinder. Just another course of thought

Also, have you looked at the MVP pump? Not a spool but may be a better path. The main problem with a pump spool is how to pump the bolt without making it a lot more complex.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

You guys are really bad for me getting any sleep !!!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Sleep is for the weak... Get more caffiene.

MaD has a point. Check out the MVP.

I designed a valve a while back... Not good for paintball, but would be perfect for this. Very small, high pressure dump chamber... with built in spool valve. The idea was to manually recock it, but with a bit of redesign you could make it semi/fully auto.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
Sleep is for the weak... Get more caffiene.

MaD has a point. Check out the MVP.

I designed a valve a while back... Not good for paintball, but would be perfect for this. Very small, high pressure dump chamber... with built in spool valve. The idea was to manually recock it, but with a bit of redesign you could make it semi/fully auto.

Ty

Ty, you have no idea !!! I am trying to get sailplanes built and out before Christmas as well as tweak my design for next year and sort all of this out.

On this valve of yours, how much for one I can turn into a nice bolt action rifle? I can build around it, remember I like making molds and working in carbon.... Take a look at the DSR1 and the WA2000. I like both of them.

Paul
Old 11-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Designed... Not built. I haven't tweaked it from a really cool 3d model into actual metal.

Let me kick it round for a bit.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Old 11-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeJsDad View Post
Are you really that narrow minded !!!!!???? A spool valve can be used in many different applications. I was not asking about a gun I was asking about a valve system. I guess I will hook up my compressor and see what it takes to move the valve back and forth.

Oh and there are folks on here who have built mechanical spool valves. I built one but never got it quite right.

A spool valve pump gun would be very quiet (no hammer, springs, etc).
Well, seeing as you just stated:
Quote:
What do you guys think is the minimum pressure and properly lubed spool valve can operatre?

Thanks Paul
I had assumed you were going for a specific marker. Your question was VERY vague to begin with and not even worded very well at all. Maybe "What do you guys think the minimum pressure of a properly lubed spool valve (not specifically a marker) can operate?" would have done better.

Quote:
I just looked at your profile, it explained everything !!!!

Paul, thinking outside the box
I fail to see how this is at all relevant. You mention looking at my profile and it explaining everything (?) and then said "thinking outside the box" as though it's special (which it is) yet you expect me to think outside the box because of your vague question that I assumed was a marker related one in general.

Quote:
Thanks Guys. I don't believe I was out of line given I was told my question didn't belong here.

**I CUT A BUNCH OF STUFF OUT AS YOU SEE HERE**

I guess I got irritated because he was so eager to jump on me for posting my question. I know very well what MCB is all about and I have played quite a bit of pump, especially back in the 80's. Shoot we built some of the first hoppers out of oil cans with sock keepers to keep the PB's inside.

I am a builder and tinkerer at heart so this is deff where I belong.

Paul
As I said, I assumed it was aimed at a certain marker because of your vague question and I reacted as such.

Now don't try to play it up any more than you already have. You had a crappily worded and vague statement, and I assumed you were talking about the operating pressure of a specific marker and put it in the custom projects forum. That's all there was to it. There's no reason to act like I'm attacking you when I responded to a certain vaguely worded question as I would correctly respond 99% of the time anywhere else. I had assumed you placed it in the wrong forum when I said "This is the wrong place for this question.".

So yes, you were over the line for calling me narrow minded(!!!!!????) when I misinterpreted your crappily worded question.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
Well, seeing as you just stated:

I had assumed you were going for a specific marker. Your question was VERY vague to begin with and not even worded very well at all. Maybe "What do you guys think the minimum pressure of a properly lubed spool valve (not specifically a marker) can operate?" would have done better.

I fail to see how this is at all relevant. You mention looking at my profile and it explaining everything (?) and then said "thinking outside the box" as though it's special (which it is) yet you expect me to think outside the box because of your vague question that I assumed was a marker related one in general.

As I said, I assumed it was aimed at a certain marker because of your vague question and I reacted as such.

Now don't try to play it up any more than you already have. You had a crappily worded and vague statement, and I assumed you were talking about the operating pressure of a specific marker and put it in the custom projects forum. That's all there was to it. There's no reason to act like I'm attacking you when I responded to a certain vaguely worded question as I would correctly respond 99% of the time anywhere else. I had assumed you placed it in the wrong forum when I said "This is the wrong place for this question.".

So yes, you were over the line for calling me narrow minded(!!!!!????) when I misinterpreted your crappily worded question.
okay...

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions