mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Minimum PSI

What do you guys think is the minimum pressure and properly lubed spool valve can operatre?

Thanks Paul
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

1) This is the wrong place for this question.

2) That depends. An Ion will run at 200 PSI whereas a Quest will run on 220 PSI, etc.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Nova 700 - 95psi

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685 (As I no longer have access to the machine to make certain sizes, I will not be replacing any which go out of stock.)

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

most of the newer macdevs are around 100 psi.
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
1) This is the wrong place for this question.

2) That depends. An Ion will run at 200 PSI whereas a Quest will run on 220 PSI, etc.
Are you really that narrow minded !!!!!???? A spool valve can be used in many different applications. I was not asking about a gun I was asking about a valve system. I guess I will hook up my compressor and see what it takes to move the valve back and forth.

Oh and there are folks on here who have built mechanical spool valves. I built one but never got it quite right.

A spool valve pump gun would be very quiet (no hammer, springs, etc).

I just looked at your profile, it explained everything !!!!

Paul, thinking outside the box

Last edited by ThreeJsDad; 11-26-2012 at 03:43 PM.
ThreeJsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Ripdisc, that gives me a place to start. This is not a semi-PB project and that is why I am wondering about just getting the valve to operate.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

there have been pump mags...but the have a much higher OP. zdspb's animations might give you some ideas.
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeJsDad View Post
Are you really that narrow minded !!!!!???? A spool valve can be used in many different applications. I was not asking about a gun I was asking about a valve system. I guess I will hook up my compressor and see what it takes to move the valve back and forth.

Oh and there are folks on here who have built mechanical spool valves. I built one but never got it quite right.

A spool valve pump gun would be very quiet (no hammer, springs, etc).

I just looked at your profile, it explained everything !!!!

Paul, thinking outside the box

Kind of a harsh response, no? Considering the question is vague at best and you contradict yourself. You said you're inquiring about pressure related to spool valves in general for no specific application. Then state it's for a paintball gun. So is the question:
"What's the minimum PSI for a random spool valve"
....or....
"What's been the lowest pressure for a spool valve based paintball gun?"(note, we're assuming shooting a paintball at field velocities here)

Unrelated to paintball, there is no real minimum pressure. Depending on application, a valve could operate at 1 PSI. For paintball specifically, as Ty noted the Nova was an extremely low pressure gun which could reach field velocities at well under 100 PSI. Some modern markers have achieved that as well.

The main factors are:
pressure
volume of air
length of barrel

The nova used a pretty large valve and dump chamber combined with a long length of unported barrel. You could actually increase volume, lengthen the barrel and achieve lower pressure. I doubt you'd have a small or aesthetically pleasing gun though. I've actually shot paintballs at well above field velocities using less than 20 PSI. The problem is that the dump chamber is very large and the barrel is about 3 feet long.

So the question of pressure itself doesn't mean much until put into context. If you're talking about a reasonable sized, somewhat efficient paintball gun then the mark is probably going to be in the 100-200 PSI range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
I suppose the better question is... What is the application?

Movement of a spool valve can be achieved with a few PSI, providing the internal friction is low enough, or the drive surface area is high enough.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685 (As I no longer have access to the machine to make certain sizes, I will not be replacing any which go out of stock.)

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Guys. I don't believe I was out of line given I was told my question didn't belong here.

Ty and Mad, you guys have helped me a ton with this. The drag in the system was my major concern because obviously there has to be enough to propel the projectile but also to cycle the system. My concern was that within the norms there would be too much parasitic drag to operate the system at low pressure.

I actually have a couple of projects relkated to this quest along with so many others. Along with designing a new fuse for my 2013 DLG design I am working on these projects.

I would very much like to get back into P-Ball and play scenario type stuff using a SASS that fires FS rounds. A couple years back I spent a great deal of $$$ and time trying to design a mag and breach system for the FS rounds. I am sure TY can remember all the phone calls back and forth brainstorming on this. Now that spyder has the FS Hammer available it seems like a good donor gun.

Here is where the question has even more relevence. My son would like to see us get into Airsoft. I want to build the same type of gun. In the Airsoft the pressure needed to fire a .36g BB would be much less. Much of the Airsoft guns are clumsy in terms of operation so a spool valve would be a HUGE leap foprward.

I guess I got irritated because he was so eager to jump on me for posting my question. I know very well what MCB is all about and I have played quite a bit of pump, especially back in the 80's. Shoot we built some of the first hoppers out of oil cans with sock keepers to keep the PB's inside.

I am a builder and tinkerer at heart so this is deff where I belong.

Paul

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions