mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Unless you can find an old Psychoballistics, or Tippmann full kit, you're going custom.

Two major paths for a custom- Spring or Pneumatic ram return:

With the Spring return ram, you need only one air line going to the ram, and you can use a relatively simple 3-way solenoid (the original kits used a Humphrey H041E1). The board required for this will need to be capable of driving the solenoid and I can't go into too much more depth there. The Tippmann, and Psychoballistic boards would be capable of driving these.

With a Pneumatic return ram, you need to have a customized (or custom built) ram and, it will require two air paths. You'll also need a 4-way solenoid. A benefit of this setup is that there are large number of early electropneumatic boards that can drive this type of solenoid (some folks used old DM boards, etc). But, you will have to ensure that the board and solenoid you choose will fit, and mod the frame as necessary.

Depending on the board and solenoid chosen, you will need to fit the battery either in the grip or a battery box (custom or PsychoBallistics/Tippmann styles) and give the wires between the battery, board and solenoid, routes.

Either of these two setups will require an airpath between the LPR and the solenoid.

Once all this is done, then you can look at tightening the blowback orifice on the valve to turn eliminate it.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
MilSim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuleOfSines View Post
If you plan on making changes, all you really need is the Ram, unless you are willing to build your own. I'll get some pictures for you tomorrow to show what modifications are needed to the shells in order to just drop a kit straight in. If you have plans for eyes however the board has to be replaced anyway, and you may tire of the Tippmann LPR ASA, it isn't very good.

I'd probably be willing to part with the LPR if you really want to try it, I have no intentions of re-installing it on my marker at this point. It works, however it had to be re-adjusted constantly. It seemed to allow for pressure spikes which would vent out the noid.

Eyes are definitely a neat upgrade, but to do them neatly requires further machining inside the shells. I got to the point of drilling the hole for them and testing before I stripped the whole thing back down.
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...psba84be4c.jpg
any suggestions on what to use besides the Tippmann ASA/LPR? I like it just because I want this to be custom yet still true to Tippmann. While I plan on milling and smoothing most of the gun, the name milling on the side will stay.
WholemealDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
The pistons are pumping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholemealDrop View Post
any suggestions on what to use besides the Tippmann ASA/LPR? I like it just because I want this to be custom yet still true to Tippmann. While I plan on milling and smoothing most of the gun, the name milling on the side will stay.
What I would recommend for an easy alternative is getting an ASA with two side outlets, run one outlet to the high pressure regulator, and on the other outlet use a right angle fitting and installing a high-quality lpr.

Here is my mostly-empty shell:

This area is normally raised up, it will need to be milled down flat. Mine is milled more than necessary because I swapped out the board and solenoid:

Same story on the other side:

Forward groove was for the airline originally, rear groove is for my battery wiring. I chose to stick the battery in my tank cover:

Milling to allow for later-style trigger:

I also used a low-pressure conversion kit on this marker, my operating pressure was in the area of 250psi.
RuleOfSines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
MilSim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuleOfSines View Post
What I would recommend for an easy alternative is getting an ASA with two side outlets, run one outlet to the high pressure regulator, and on the other outlet use a right angle fitting and installing a high-quality lpr.

Here is my mostly-empty shell:
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...emporary-4.jpg

This area is normally raised up, it will need to be milled down flat. Mine is milled more than necessary because I swapped out the board and solenoid:
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a.../temporary.jpg

Same story on the other side:
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...emporary-2.jpg

Forward groove was for the airline originally, rear groove is for my battery wiring. I chose to stick the battery in my tank cover:
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...emporary-1.jpg

Milling to allow for later-style trigger:
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...emporary-3.jpg
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...emporary-6.jpg

I also used a low-pressure conversion kit on this marker, my operating pressure was in the area of 250psi.
thanks this gives me a better idea of what kind of work i have to look forward to over the winter so the tippmann pro shop reg is no good?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
The pistons are pumping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholemealDrop View Post
thanks this gives me a better idea of what kind of work i have to look forward to over the winter so the tippmann pro shop reg is no good?
I wasn't happy with it, it was one of the first pieces I wanted to replace. Several times it emptied my tank when it allowed the pressure to spike. To avoid the issue, I had to adjust the regulator below the recommended adjustment.
RuleOfSines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
MilSim

ok i've gotten opinions for and against it. guess i'll just try and see what i can find. if an LPR attached to an ASA ends up being cheaper i'll probably go that route. also due to the fact that i've had almost no luck locating a tippmann ASA/LPR. Dorosports has them listed but i'm wary to order since i've had trouble ordering from them in the past
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

So let me get this straight- you have nothing but, the gun right now?

Have you sourced a ram yet? I suspect that this will be the hardest part for you as I'm 99% certain they are no longer available new, they were unique to 98s, and the used ones may not be in decent shape (mine broke the piston, and damaged the bore when it gave up the ghost). I only remember one individual building his own, two-way ram. He published a schematic but, I've no clue where that might be now. I believe it was a user on the Tippmann forums named NaturalNewb or some such.

The Tippmann ASA/Reg can be replaced with any number of duckbill dual outlet ASA's, an elbow and any number of LP regs frequently used on autocockers. The Tippmann model hasn't been produced in close to or over a decade. I never mentioned this before because it sounded like you had a Tippmann one already.

You can't settle on a Solenoid until you figure out the ram you're going to use.

You can't settle on a board until you figure out the solenoid you're going to use.

You can't settle on eyes until you figure out the board you're going to use.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
MilSim

correct all i have is the model 98. I have sourced the tippmann LPR/ASA from dorosports just waiting for it to arrive. it was only $35 with shipping so i gave it a shot. figured it'd be cheaper than the 2 outlet ASA route. a few people have come forward with unused kits willing to sell. I'm also talking to my machinist friend to figure out how difficult it would be to make a ram. now i'm new to electronics in paintball guns and am still learning the point of 1, 2, 3 way rams and solenoids so any knowledge would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

When it comes to the ram, You only need a 1, or two way since the ram will be either forward, striking the valve, or rearward, awaiting the next shot.

You should check this thread out for a two-way E-Bolt Ram design.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
MilSim

Alright time for an update. Got a GTA ram (spring assisted return), Psycho Ballistics board, solenoid, and battery harness, Rufus Dawg vertical feed, and Tippmann ProShop ASA/LPR combo. I have a slot cover but I'm not sure about it. felt like the hammer rubs on it so I might replace it with a plate. I think I'm going to start bone stock with this project to get a feel for it. If I'm unhappy with something I'll either fix it or just replace it. I have Naturalnoobs dimensions for a custom 2-wayed ram so I can make a custom one paired with a Timmy board, solenoid, and eyes. Still willing to take any direction and help from anyone who knows anything. Also still on the look out for ebolt parts as I don't know if mine even work yet.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions