mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pandamonium

Thumbs up BandE Coatings microslicked my bolt

So I came across BandE Coatings, www.bandecoatings.com and I contacted them about applying Micro Slick to the bolt and ram of my 2k Blazer. Since this stuff was primarily designed for things like firearms, I chose a part of my Blazer that takes the largest amount of metal on metal wear.
I sent it in the week of Thanksgiving, the work was done and back to me, total time 11 days. I'm not a paid advertiser but I will say BandE were really easy to deal with and the work was done quickly. I know I have read some horror stories on here about people sending parts and markers off to have stuff done and not seeing them for months etc. So its worth mentioning when a company is making an effort to be prompt and take care of customers, and thus they have earned my reccomendation if having a permanent dry lube applied to some parts is a curiosity of yours.
Here is the bolt and ram before:
BEFORE CLICK HERE
BEFORE.jpg

And After:
After Pic 1 CLICK HERE
After Pic 2 CLICK HERE
Finished 1.jpg
Finished 2.jpg
I reassembled the Blazer and it shoots fine. The tolerances were not affecetd at all. The surface is smooth. WHile I was able to only cycle the marker a few times yesterday evening, I should be taking it to the field this weekend and will get a thousand cycles on it or so and will take some pics and give a run down on any pros and cons.
They grey coloring is just a coloring used to show that the parts were coated entirely and is expected to wear off in the places where wear and tear were occuring previously but the microslick is clear and is bonded to the metal.

Last edited by adrenal; 11-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.
adrenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

You left out the most important part... cost?
Old 12-01-2012, 03:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thought about doing this to some Angel LCD/LED parts. Can they put the coating on a piece of plastic (delrin), or will it only adhere to metal?

Let us know how much it wears off after a day of play.

Also interested in the cost.
RedHairedTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pandamonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
You left out the most important part... cost?
They ran a sale and I paid 35. But I also sent them a link to the diagram of a blazer and noted the parts. As well I sent a picture of the two parts next to a ruler when I was requesting a quote.

Last edited by adrenal; 12-01-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pandamonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHairedTrev View Post
Thought about doing this to some Angel LCD/LED parts. Can they put the coating on a piece of plastic (delrin), or will it only adhere to metal?

Let us know how much it wears off after a day of play.

Also interested in the cost.
The grey color might wear off and I expect it to but the Microslick is clear and unnoticeable. I would not expect to notice much. I have seen pictures of machine gun parts with this on it after thousands of rounds and I saw very negligible wear of the parts. But I definitely will post back after some use.

To the question above about delrin; I wouldn't think you could just based off of what I read the application process from Nic Industries being. The parts have to be void of oil and residue so they sand blast paint off, dip it in acetone and heat it for an hour to rid it of oils and greases. Not sure delrin would stand that. But I would defer that question to Nic industries or BandE Coatings.

I don't think paintball equipment is BandEs primary market. They mostly do weapons. So I wouldn't expect them to jump on the forums as some others have. But if you have a part(s) or a marker you want Micro Slicked or Cerakoted I would take detail pictures and contact them.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.

I looked at some of the videos on their website regarding how long it will last. I'm sure paintball guns are not as harsh on the coating as a machine gun, but I would need to be able to get at least 15,000 shots to make it worth it.

Parts I was thinking of having it done to are the inside of the ram, the ram rod, hammer, valve stem, and valve. I bet it would shoot as smooth as butter. I can live without getting my bolt done.

Yeah, definitely keep us updated on the results... even if they are minimal. Hats off to you for spearheading this idea. People are quick to shoot down something like this.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pandamonium

IMG_0684.jpg
IMG_0685.jpg
IMG_0686.jpg

So I ran it almost all day, game after game of speedball, probably put well over a thousand shots through it. The pictures above show the wear on the grey coloring, which is there so the coater knows it got completely covered. Its normal to wear off in the friction areas. The Micro Slick is clear and bonded to the metal itself. I didnt bother removing the ram just to inspect wear. The fact it has such wear is why I decided to have it applied, to reduce friction without sacrificing tolerances.

Everything worked flawlessly. I will say, and I have no idea if its due to the lubricity of the parts now, but my efficiency was pretty insane. I filled once to about 4k, went all day and still had 2k left, so about 3 pods and 4 hoppers filled on about 1.5k of air.

Based off of today, I dont expect there to be any problems from the micro slick and the overall benefits seems fairly apparent in this type of marker in the high friction areas. I did put a drop of oil in the asa before play and a drop on the bolt which I smeared around the 2 delrin rings.

Hope that is helpful to know if your considering this type of dry lube.

Last edited by adrenal; 12-02-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the update man! Sounds like a real worthwhile mod. Did you have to decrease your velocity?

This might be a question for the company, but would it be beneficial to coat the inside of the gun's chambers as well as the parts that reciprocate in them?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pandamonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHairedTrev View Post
Thanks for the update man! Sounds like a real worthwhile mod. Did you have to decrease your velocity?

This might be a question for the company, but would it be beneficial to coat the inside of the gun's chambers as well as the parts that reciprocate in them?
Not sure what you mean when you say decrease my velocity. But I did have to turn things down (HPR & LPR) a bit further than before to keep it under 290fps, the field limit at Pevs. Just to add for a data point, the day started out around 40 degrees and by noon was about 62 degrees. So it was a really great day to be out.

If I was going to completely break down a marker or piecing one together I dont see how having it done to internal areas where there is friction would hurt anything and I would consider it.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

If you had to turn regs down, then the coating was probably helping. Usually after adding a better bolt or valve to a marker... one will have to decrease velocity to make up for the added velocity.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions