mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Valve Ideas

well my first project is coming out rather nice and already I am planning for round two. I have to I have more parts.

I want to build a top notch airsoft sniper gun. I know this is PB, but all the parts minus the barrel are PB. The one I am finishing has an Ion valve, J&J barrel, 12 gram changer and an Ion reg. Oh, it's also mechanical !!!!

I want to build a bolt/pump gun next. Is a Nelson valve system my best choice for consistency. I am open to other ideas as well. I was thinking about building a valve system that used air only like a basic spool but make it so it is just a valve and not the bolt as well.

This might actually turn into something very cool and with a future....

Paul
Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Hmm.. I'd think that a Nelson valve would be a little hard to implement for a bolt action unless you put the entire system in the bolt which, imo, would actually be pretty sweet for maintenance.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Compared to the Ion I just did the Nelson wouldbe easy. The Nelson is a basic mechanical system and a reg is not required. Basically a smaller ID power tube and a modified bolt and breech is all I would have to do.

A Nelson type valve is more efficient but a spool valve would be quieter.

Paul
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
lol... This sounds like a very familiar conversation we had, recently

I had an entertaining thought... Since we are talking bolt action...

Look at this link: ICD 'Cats Theory of Operation
The first set of pictures are the information of note. The valve is vertical, instead of horizontal. This would mean you *could* field strip the airsoft gun(?) like a real firearm, with pressure on it, safely. The only "screwy" part would be the hammer would need a tongue with a cam style bump to open the valve. When you actuated the bolt, the tongue would move out of the plane of the valve, and allow the action to cycle without expelling any more gas.

You could then adjust velocity via regulator pressure, by tongue design or by main spring tension... The spring tension would be kinda odd, as the faster the tongue goes past the valve, the lower the velocity... So less tension would like equal more velocity, to a point.

Just another $0.02

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ty, another idea that ran through my head was to use the Ion again because it is readily available and very quiet. Simply use the whole system as the valve and have the bolt system seperate from that. Simply seal off all air leaks between the Ion bolt and the new bolt. Yah the valve would still be semi but it would be a "dry fire" if a BB had not been chambered.

The gun I am finishing up would make a beutiful PB marker for scenario games. I will be switching this bad bow right back if my son changes gears on me.

Paul
Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I was thinking of the ICD valve, because of the whole bolt out the back for maintenance issue. Plus it could be fieldstripped without removing the airsource.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

i had an idea for a bolt action first strike nelson which would work here quite well i think. First the whole valve is in the bolt, including the 12g. when you slide the bolt back and then forward it cocks and chambers a round. then when you run out of co2, you lift the nob like a real bolt action, unlocking the 12g and locking the front part of the bolt forward. moving the rear bolt back then ejects the 12g like a shell. Drop in a new on, slide forward, one quarter turn to pierce and seal, and away you go. fast action non turning bold for in a fire fight but the fun of shell ejecting when you change powerlets.
Istobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Well... for a bolt-action ICD Cat valve, you could just run the recock valve fully closed to keep the gun from auto-cycling. To cock it for the next shot, you just pull the cocking knob back. Added bonus, the Cat system is really quiet!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Modder at heart

For airsoft, I dont think the above valves will work very well. We are talking about scaling pressures way down. And if efficincy is the goal here, I believe you will need to hike a valve off somewhere else. A good starting point would be the kingsman eraser. The valve on that is like a mini spyder valve, and is made to operate at high pressures, yet release only the amount of air you need.

I guess you can augment the valve opening to a smaller size on a full size spyder valve as well (or narrow the stem opening on a neilson). But I dont see it working very well with an Ion. Those valves are meant to dump all the air in the chamber, and work under a certain pressure range.

Not saying you cant get it to work, but it might be easier to just use a valve made for the job, and already tuned for the amount of air needed. Saves on adjustment time as well if you need to rechrono for a feild.
Danny D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Danny, I forgot all about the Eraser!! That is brilliant. I will also need to look at the ICD valve.

I don't want to start the closed bolt vs open bolt debate but that is the main reason I have been looking at bolt action. A consistent semi would not be such a bag thing.

Paul

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions