mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Didn't get to get too much on the machine as I got absent minded with my mopping.

Tomorrow I am going to give it another shot but in MDF. Easier to hand work to see where my issues are. Big problem is the pad between the thumb and index finger and the proximity to the trigger.

Pics of failures:

Addendums : guys who have used Arduno/etc boards before : How viable is it for us to use one as a Open source paintball board?

-When I'm done with this I'm releasing all the models in Iges format. If you want a shot at it go nuts.

Edit two :
-Decreased over all length that I'm unhappy with by 1/4 of an inch and applied a more aggressive round over to the rear of the frame. This gets rid of some of the "brick" look as well.

-Dropped nearly a half inch from the top of the frame that is now just kind of dead weight since Im not currently running wiring/plumbing.

-Moved the trigger pivot to the front of the frame by about 1/8. Should alleviate some of the "cramped" feel.

- Before and after respectively.

I am extremely close to saying screw it, putting all the firing electronics in the foregrip and making a single finger trigger with a set of walnut grips for my hands specifically. Making "speed ball" related stuff just seems very trivial when I could go buy a mini for penuts and have it be better than anything I could make. Once this is out of the way I would love to start doing some more interesting things

Last edited by Matt Ribble; 03-10-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Matt Ribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

single trigger would be cool, especially with a 86 or 90 degree frame. Always thought those would be really comfy. sweet build, looking forward to seeing the finished piece in action.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Update:

Revised frame is much, much much better. Slight tweak made it much less annoying. Too bad I botched my set up and resulted in a craptacular frame half.

If I had my way I would be all about a 3d printer. Unfortunately I don't think I could make the money back on it. Ideas? It'd be great for feeling things out prior to machining them...but 2000$ buy ALOT OF ALUMINUM to try new stuff out with and a ton of jigs/fixtures/tooling to go with a mill.

Big issues :

-My setups are dumb. I got lazy and didn't bother to make a plate. Result was so much vibration it was flat out awful.
-The .06 lip is too thin and if it didnt break while machining it would break while being used. It's on the to-dremel block.
-10/32's have been swapped out for 4/40's as far as the holding mechanics of the frame. Just not needed and look ugly on the head side
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ribble View Post
-10/32's have been swapped out for 4/40's as far as the holding mechanics of the frame. Just not needed and look ugly on the head side
#4's are kind of a pain to work with. No love for #6's?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Naptime

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
This is very neat. I do like the trigger guard geometry, but I do think the frame could be updated from a standard 45.

Are you thinking about producing these, or just a custom build for yourself? It would be really neat to be able to turn any mag into an "Emag."

Awesome stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
I told him NOT to fart with an upset stomache. never trust a fart!
Bigtuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Naptime

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ribble View Post
If I had my way I would be all about a 3d printer. Unfortunately I don't think I could make the money back on it. Ideas? It'd be great for feeling things out prior to machining them...but 2000$ buy ALOT OF ALUMINUM to try new stuff out with and a ton of jigs/fixtures/tooling to go with a mill.
I have access to a 3D printer. I think the printable space is 6"x9"x6" but I can double check. PM me if you'd like for me to print some stuff for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
I told him NOT to fart with an upset stomache. never trust a fart!
Bigtuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

You. I like you.

I didn't want to vary too much from safe frame geometry for fear of having another misfit like my 90 frame. Until my machine's up and running here (yes, I have alot of half baked projects) I can't really safely dick about. Once it's up and running hooooboy will there be some good pics of really dumb ideas.

I generally do custom stuff purely for me. I learned my lesson some years ago about selling things that are not wholey my design some years ago. The GW folks didn't care for my castings being sold to my buddies.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

Updates:

Frames are cut, handwork begins. Rail is still waiting. Due to the rushed nature of the cuts I have a very annoyingly long job ahead of me with the sandpaper.

Thoughts: I desperately, desperately wish that I had just used a shocker frame instead of going the custom route as the solenoid would fit in the gap PERFECTLY without any real alteration. For the amount of time and effort vs the efficiency of what I wanted this really isn't effective. It was a cute little project I'll see through but in the future I would rather use an existing shocker frame with a plate + a tboard/etc than I would machine an entire new frame based on something that already exists.

To be honest I feel pretty derpy. In the future I might buy a set of shocker frames and wire them up as stand alone hyperframes. 200+/- is probably what I would want for them as a straight up bolt on attachment

Line of thinking on that is that a used shocker frame (30$) costs zero effort, already has some decent triggers in production, has mounting pins/etc for everything I want and all my guts fit in. Total effort required just goes to the rail and foregrip. I cant even barely get the alu for less than that 30$ initial investment. What I would change how ever is that the trigger guard is still super cramped.

Id maybe remove the guard, machine a few flats for it to get a larger one to mount and (maybe) do one so it was single finger.

I'll post some renderings of that when I get my main pc back online. Im stuck on my beater laptop for the time being.

Various pictures and some relatively lame cutting video:

Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
I'm super stoked to see actual metal. Renderings are cool, but there is nothing like a machined piece to get my jollies.

***...aaaand then you post one while I was typing... Well played Mr. Bond... Well played.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Some one has migrated my chuck-key so I have no ability to drill it out/set it. I am now very, very worried that the dowels I neglected to keep are going to have some alignment issues.

To those who are not inclined with machines : I (or whom ever) Will remove your hands if you remove a chuck key from a drill press and then don't put it back to where it was.

Edit : I loathe handwork. I dont have the attention span. Solex is basically who I picture rather than Mr.Rodgers when it comes to patience.

Edit 2.0:

-Any thoughts on coating? I was thinking a bead-blasted dust Crimson finish. Grips made out of Cherry/Devoted to Khorne.

Last edited by Matt Ribble; 03-19-2013 at 07:44 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions