mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/)
-   -   Thought on spin welding plastic (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/222490-thought-spin-welding-plastic.html)

FirstTarget 01-02-2013 08:24 PM

Thought on spin welding plastic

Not the best presentation. But it provides an interesting starting point:
Friction Weld Plastic with a Rotary Tool and Plastic Rods

Flint 01-03-2013 01:12 AM

Well im sure it probably releases less toxic fumes (although isnt styrene is like super toxic?), than welding it with a soldering gun, but is it stronger?

uv_halo 01-03-2013 10:37 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed that video and it seems to be very helpful information. However, I always though spin welding was more along the lines of using friction between two parts to create the heat necessary to fuse them together.

Flint- from what I've read, styrene fumes are something you don't want to start huffing up but, nowhere near as nasty as the fumes released by melting acrylic.

CrazyBoy78 01-03-2013 12:43 PM

White styrene isn't as bad as the black stuff, but you'll still want to wear a respirator either way. Melting it makes for smell far worse than just cutting.

Jkoselka 01-03-2013 06:12 PM

Yep it creates a strong weld. We did some prototype resevoirs for a customer using a spin welder. To weld other types of plastics we use a hot air welder with sticks of plastic welding rods (a tad more elagent then a soldering gun), we also use diffusion bonding and butt weld. Fumes from any plastic are toxic in high doses.

sniperfan 01-03-2013 09:46 PM

Back when I was a Service manager for an industrial battery shop we had a "Poly Welder" for welding the polypropylene 'jars' that contain the electrolyte in huge forklift battery cells. leaks weren't uncommon, and a leak usually would create a small but obvious dead short in the leaking cell- not to mention the corrosion that would start way down in the bottom of the tray. We'd drill off the lead intercell connectors with a 1" hollow drill, and lift the 200# cell out with an overhead hoist, drain it, and remove the assembled plates from the jar, and repair. The jar was also polywelded to the plastic cell cover on top.

The polywelder wasn't cheap- about $600.00 in 1990's dollars as I recall, but it got used every day. It used a heated tip like a large soldering iron, a piece of 3/16" polypropylene rod, and an air compressor to transfer the heat to the point where the weld is happening.

Jkoselka 01-03-2013 09:57 PM

Yeah the ones have dedicated mini compressors for each gun, with variable temp controls. We use dual tack tip and weld feed tips. Our rigs run us about 1200 (I think, I just used em I didn't have to buy it:) ). The fusion welders and wire welders are all custom made for whatever we are welding up.

We use to do a lot of wet-benches and acid tanks for Intel Fabs. We also used to do wet etch assembly line work for other companies too.