mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Another one of those ano jobs

I got to spend the day in the garage and learned a few new ano tricks. I was looking at a circulation pump, but didn't really want to spend the money for it. My aquarium air pump was agitating my workbench more than the bath. I got a $5 paint stirrer and made a coupler for a drive motor from my old laser disc player. With my adjustable power supply, I figured out that about 5 volts at .3 amps would turn at a decent speed. That happened to be right for an old nokia wall charger. I coated the shaft with some spray plasti-dip since it seemed to react with the acid bath. Now I have excellent agitation.

I bought a turkey oven on sale after Thanksgiving for $30, as my new garage bath warmer and sealer.

I decided to try spraying lacquer for a mask with my airbrush. The lacquer dries within minutes of spraying and works pretty well. It still produced a bit of bare halo on the first color. It was fun though. The colors are green, orange, and tan. The bob long drop has been "bobbed" to fit the CP on/off and the frame without hanging over either one.

The problem with clear lacquer is that you can't see where you have been very well.

Last edited by Spider!; 02-18-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I like it Spider! Good stuff!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Very good job! Love the idea with the agitator!
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Interesting idea.... *ponders* Im gonna get a plastic propeller/shaft and make something happen.

I use the spraypaint plastidip as my mask it comes off real easy.
TFrevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFrevold View Post
Interesting idea.... *ponders* Im gonna get a plastic propeller/shaft and make something happen.

I use the spraypaint plastidip as my mask it comes off real easy.
That plastidip is not very tough at all. However, that pic is after several hours in the bath, so it is at least chemically immune. I'll continue storing it by clamping it to the shelf (it has a 3/4" conduit hanger, which is the bolt that looks like it is in the top of the motor).

I had read that agitation was important, but it made a big difference. I thought about not dying some of the parts because the layer came out with that nice gray tint, but the aluminums were different and some were brighter. This fixed my light areas on long parts.

Make sure you turn it clockwise. I think it would splash a lot if you let it lift. Clockwise at about 5- 10 rpm doesn't splash much at all when partially exposed, and no splash fully submerged. I left the shaft long so that I can move to a deeper tank with more freeboard eventually. The agitator doesn't need to be much more than submerged though.

Some sort of blasting cabinet must be next.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Plastidip works well as a mask after the acid lol.

My acid tank is 2 feet deep so I shouldnt have a problem with it trying to splash out as long as i get it deep enough. I have one of those 8 air hose fish tank pumps doing it now works pretty well. I like the idea of not having acid mist in the air though.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

They make five gallon paint stirrers that might be better in a larger tank. Mine is only about two gallons.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

yea mines 40 lol
Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Autotriggerhappy. :)

CCM Fan
Wow... Been a while since i visited MCB, but that sure is one awesome anno job!
Yes! I love being in battle! I love the moment when my marker stops being a machine and becomes part of me! My blood boils and my mind goes all white! It's an incredible high! There's no time to think, only action!

FiXeL is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions