mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/)
-   -   Axe reg on Ion frame.Work in progress (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/227950-axe-reg-ion-frame-work-progress.html)

punisher068 03-04-2013 09:03 PM

Axe reg on Ion frame.Work in progress

5 Attachment(s)
Originally saw a SP1 with this setup done by deaallen on PBN,wanted to try with an Ion for boxmag and mech pistol projects,I had a spare stock beater frame so I gave it a try.I used a dremmel,drill press files,etc so pardon the roughness.The stock aluminium is very soft,hope i didnt remove too much and it crumbles to pieces in my hand
I bought the Axe reg new and it came with the shown TM7 bracket.I had to make the reg removable for access to the oring and setscrew in case I ever need to replace them,the oring seals against the bracket by another threaded bushing under the air fitting shown,the small hole on the side are for setscrews to hold the bushing down,the top portion of the bracket is threaded with 1/8 NPT.Ill use the threaded bushings shown to hold it in place in the frame.I also removed the stock reg mount& enlarged the inside of the gripframe to fit the airline,RF chip(boxmag) and eventually a Virtue OLED board,Ill have to cast some custon grips to fit the OLED,sidways mounted batterey and cover the enlarged area.I also thinned the trigger out ,it cleared the airline but it was a tight fit.
Airred up with minor leaks,ill address them when I recieve my OLED,mounting seems secure,Id really like to try this with a better quality frame and have it machined by a professional,its still work in progress,figured I could sacrifice a stock frame 1st as there a ton cheap around
Shown mounted on my newest boxmag with a Deadlywind body,I went a little over the top with the vinyl carbon fiber sticker,its kinda in your face but Im liking it so far,did the frame also to hide all my idiot marks

Skibbo 03-04-2013 09:50 PM

wow. that looks really nice. how long did it take to cut to cut out the frame? Also, where did you buy the reg from?

Grendal50 03-04-2013 10:00 PM

That looks Awesome!

danssoslow 03-05-2013 09:08 AM

That is absolutely beautiful. Awesome job! It's one thing to try to create something like this; but the execution here is way above a "let's see if this works" type job. That had to take some extensive planning on your part. Good show!!!

punisher068 03-05-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibbo (Post 2644071)
wow. that looks really nice. how long did it take to cut to cut out the frame? Also, where did you buy the reg from?

Took me about 6 hrs,drilled thru the frame 1st then ran my Dremmel bit on my drill press,finished it off with files and sandpaper.The frame is VERY soft aluminum.I got the reg new from Kee,my teammate is a retailer for them,had to wait 2 months because they were backordered
First time I saw a Mini I wanted to try this,saw a few others had done it successfully so I knew the concept would work
Just sent my Virtue board in to exchange it for an OLED model,Ill need it to RF interface board and Pulse guts in the boxmag

super_stanchy 03-05-2013 03:42 PM

holy crap i didnt even think about this as a solution for my mech ion rifle...

you just saved me HOURS of work making a reg/asa from scrach :D

now to find one

Skibbo 03-05-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super_stanchy (Post 2644816)
holy crap i didnt even think about this as a solution for my mech ion rifle...

you just saved me HOURS of work making a reg/asa from scrach :D

now to find one

Looks like ANS has them

super_stanchy 03-05-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibbo (Post 2644844)
Looks like ANS has them

they are already in my cart ;)

punisher068 03-05-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super_stanchy (Post 2644847)
they are already in my cart ;)

Nice find,that one comes with the TM7 bracket I used also,the original Mini bracket is a little smaller and doesnt(?) have the 1/8 npt threads on top

tymcneer 03-05-2013 08:45 PM

Very nice mod. I love the clean looks.

Ty