mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
makin bacon

running air tools with a 68/45

Has anybody put the necessary regulators together in a little package and run air tools off a remote line? You know, using our standard HPR's and LPR's.

I'm thinking impact wrenches, brad nailers, finish nailers, framing nailers and other pneumatic tools.

I thought about this with a contractor buddy of mine. The thought of using air tools without having to drag hoses around and not having to need a compressor. It could come in handy. Like if you just have a small job to do and dont want to lug around a compressor, this could be a viable option.

One thing I thought about too is the efficiency with these specific tools. They probably dont have the best.

Your thoughts?
baconquilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

CCM Fan
A local field owner once busted out some reg contraption and filled someone's low tire, but the 48/3k tank dropped about 700psi so I'm not sure how much you can actually get out of a tank, but would be great if you just need to shoot a couple nails

Rcjunky's feedback
rcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Kobalt has a setup that uses a 20oz tank. Would be the same exact thing, if you aren't looking to build one.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
makin bacon

I do have most of the parts to do it. Thats why I ask if anyone else has done such a project.
I would need a piece of aluminum stock to use as the body were the regs would mount.
One thing I've thought about is on a LPR the barb size is quite small and I was thinking if that would become a problem or not as im not running a ram off it but running a whole nail gun. I would think you would need a slightly larder ID hose or else the gun would starve.

hmm
Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

You need a fast recharge and a decent amount of air. There's that Kobalt kit mentioned which is already setup to do it or you could get a custom stab or other LP reg to do the job. Main issues are having to lug around the HPA tank as well and construction equipment tends not to be treated so nicely. Also if there's a regular need to do this most guys just buy a cordless nailer (paslode or the like)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
makin bacon

I hear ya. My buddy does have a cordless paslode that takes the little gas canisters. propane or one of the -ane's cant remember.
This was just another option we were talking about.
Its more or less a 'because I can' project.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Well PPS basically did their own version as well. Just have to swap out the fittings with ones compatible with the nailer:
Airsoft Inline Stabilizer Remote Hose Kit [HOSE055] - $130.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something

Some variations in the "Airsoft" section on PPS. You could also probably put a stab or boulder reg directly on the nailer somewhere..
Boulder [PPSP017] - $85.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
makin bacon

oh cool.
i never knew these products existed.
i looked at the kobalt one. they all have a nicer cleaner setup than what i was thinking.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yea I built some years ago for a customer. He bought 5 of them with 3 extra 48/3000 tanks. They used milsim vests to carry it all. Little pockets for nails/screw and the likes. Tank on their back and a scuba tank in the trailer to fill them up. Worked real good for brad nailers. Was a little sluggish for framing nailers but did work. This was before the Jackpacks or what ever you call them down there even came out. They said they could do a 2 man crew in a house putting molding in, and it would take them about 3 hours and 1 tank of air each. Of course someone else was cutting.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

We've used them before to do some very awkward trim installs with 20oz co2 tanks. Worked great for the brads and was nice to not have to worry about your tail weaving thru things.
Matt Ribble is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions