mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/)
-   -   Ac threaded apex tip (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/228774-ac-threaded-apex-tip.html)

RedRiot 03-13-2013 10:44 PM

Ac threaded apex tip

I'm looking for someone to make a tip that is ac threaded with just the apex tip on it it is for an sa17 Please pm me if you know someone who can machine this or if you can machine it

Grendal50 03-14-2013 08:21 AM

J&J makes a tip that goes over their ceramic barrels, maybe a cheap cocker barrel cut down would be cheaper.

Amazon.com: J&J Ceramic Apex Paintball Barrel Adapter: Sports & Outdoors

RedRiot 03-14-2013 08:30 AM

Flasc I seen make a short barrel. I may have found someone to make it for me

danssoslow 03-14-2013 12:00 PM

Any 1" diameter ac threaded barrel would be easy to chop down to create such a thing. Post pics if you get that done, I'd love to see that.

btw, I had an SA17 barrel end in my pocket the other day when I went into a local shop. Told the guys there I had the world's smallest AC barrel in my pocket. When I pulled the tip out, a couple went ape shart and had to try it out.

RedRiot 03-14-2013 06:15 PM

Lol. The other thing I thought of trying was a deadlywinds clamping apex adapter

MaD 03-14-2013 07:30 PM

So what exactly do you want? Just a very short AC threaded apex barrel?

RedRiot 03-14-2013 07:53 PM

Yes to make/machine an autococker threaded apex ready tip for me(not a whole barrel). I would like less than an inch between the threads and where the apex tip would sit. (would like it for my sa17 pistol. .688-.689 bore no smaller)

MaD 03-14-2013 07:58 PM

Not sure if I have one still but the easiest way is just to take an apex barrel and chop it / rethread it. a 1" OD version would probably be ideal?

RedRiot 03-14-2013 08:40 PM

Well I need someone to do it as I don't have the tools

danssoslow 03-15-2013 12:08 AM

I can see where RedRiot is going here. Basically the look of the SA17 rifle kit with a more practical use of the silencer in the form of an Apex2 tip, correct?

RedRiot,
If you are willing to put in the money to purchase a barrel (that would ultimately have to be chopped down anyways= machine time= some monies) and the DW adaptor, I'd say forgo the adapter and have the barrel machined with the three cuts to directly accept the Apex.

Considering the barrel will be so short (aprox 4" total, threaded area and all), I would assume, as long as the barrel's id is bigger than the SA17's "insert" barrel, that the "quality" of the barrel is a non issue.

Thus:
-Purchase this barrel (kinda assuming it's a 1" since it is a bull type, and it appears the major of threaded portion for the tips [assuming again it is the standard 7/8" fare] is smaller in diameter than the barrel's od ; I'd hope that this would work :o ), the cheapest I found searching eBay using the "lowest price+shipping".
6" 3SKULL Scout Tactical Paintball Barrel Autococker | eBay

This may be a cheaper option, after shipping; and is advertised as a 1" od.
Viewloader 1 Inch Diameter Recon Rifled Barrel

-Have it sent directly from the eBay seller to any machinist here to be chopped down and have the grooves cut into the barrel. tjd10684 on here LOVES to do projects like this; but be sure to tell him that it must take priority over any other current projects. :D
All kidding aside, he does solid work, as I'm sure most all here would do.

I would assure you this route will be the cheapest and quickest. Other than searching for a used barrel, which will take time to find and research the od, the price of the above option should be spot on. As far as machine work price, I can't quote someone else's work; but I'd say it would be equal to or less than the price to cut the barrel and buying a $30 plus shipping Apex adapter.

The only other option I can possibly think of would be to have a cocker barrel cut down and have the barrel's od threaded for 7/8-20 threads immediately after the cocker's threads. This would allow you to 1) use damn near any barrel of any taper or shape, as long as the first 1" of the barrel was at least 7/8" in od; and 2) allow you to change the apex out for any number of barrel tips later if that strikes your fancy.
I'd suspect that it would be more expensive to machine; but the cost difference from the option above may be offset by finding a dirt cheap barrel or a freebie a friend is throwing out.