mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 03-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Davehome,
were you using MathCAD to show those calculations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
US ARMY SIG CORPS

Thanks all for the responses.

I am planning on using 6A\sqft or less (I only have a 30V/10A variable supply) in a setup similar to caswells LCD anodizing.

I am actually looking to do the calculations as easily as possible, I'm not really looking for decimal place accuracy. Since this will be for personal use I am sure that I should have some leeway in the calculations.

I am thinking I may do the test body using constant voltage first to see what the maximum current draw will be, color it and take a few pictures. Then I will strip it and try to re-anodize it using some basic area calculations and constant current, re-color it and then compare the results to see what looks best before I do the actual pieces I want to anodize.

I am dimensioning one of my test parts right now to get a feel for how much area I will be working on and see how it goes from there.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
the dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Variational calculus only works if you have a continuous equation to feed it.
Its obviously the responsibility of the person performing the calculation to determine that the functions are smooth and continuous. Also since these are triple integrals and we are finding volume in (R^3) (thats the real number line in 3 dimensions) we can tell intuitively by direct observation that the functions over which we integrate are smooth and continuous and are therefore differentiable.

And no, my pictures were made in MS paint and opened my old calculus book to the chapter on double and triple integrals.

Last edited by davehome333; 03-23-2013 at 10:14 PM.
davehome333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
mag shooter

i knew someone was going to bring integrals into the thread when i saw the title.

i can't wait to be done with calc im in differential equations now and my teacher is super russian. so you can imagine how well im doing.

feedback(http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html)
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehome333 View Post
what you are describing is called "The Method of Exhaustion" and is one of the underlying ideas behind integration techniques dating back to the time of Archimedes. take note of the smaller and smaller triangles:

http://www.storyofmathematics.com/im...s_parabola.gif
That's actually a lot more complex (well it's simple, but extensive) than I was thinking. I was thinking rectangular measurements for the overall body plus the cylinder surface area of all of the internal bores. Think slab Autococker body. Box surface area plus the main bores and any other bores that can be measured.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
US ARMY SIG CORPS

This thread has gone way too deep in to math

I did get a great method to do this the easy way over at that other forum that shall not be named
Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlaser666 View Post
This thread has gone way too deep in to math

I did get a great method to do this the easy way over at that other forum that shall not be named

That's because there is far more brain power over here.

Mine is not included in that statement.

Quote:
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
the dude abides

The one thing that is making this calculation soooooooo difficult is that each surface has a variable gradient. Gradient is the depth change when looking down at the markers surfaces. this is what makes multivariable calculus necessary instead of just single variable calculus.
davehome333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hey all, I actually did a search on this particular subject and once again it brings me to Mcarterbrown...

I understand anodizing enough to know that I will like doing it and I beg the question to my lady asking "how do I figure out the surface area?"

She replied "Doesn't companies use autocad to design the guns you use?"

I said "yes."

She said "Well if you want to pursue this anodizing further why dont you call the company and ask for the surface area they have in CAD."

I was dumb founded by her logic... Yet I would like to know would a manufacturer have this info and would they even give it to me?

ALSO, in anodizing HOW accurate do you need to be in determining surface area to power supply??? Is it 5% or something of that nature???
codythinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Couple of notes here, AutoCAD is simply a set of 2 dimensional drawings and would not help with the area. But that is immaterial as most companies now use 3 dimensional programs and she is absolutely correct in that the 3D programs will give the surface area. Unfortunately i think many of the fancier bodies are milled by a secondary company. I would assume that many but not all of these secondary companies are also using a CAD program for the milling, but I don't know if they would have the whole gun modeled so you may need to contact more than one company for that information.

Quote:

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions