mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 08-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
August 11th update.

Today's progress update. It took me the best part of four days to get this far on this chunk. Far more than I would have ever guessed. I WILL get this damned thing done even if it gives me a heart attack.

First was more of a working conditions upgrade. My dad's workshop does not have much in the way of motivational devices, other than the shop smith which is a really cool toy, but unfortunately is incapable of being used as a mill... ...unless I tinker with it, but he won't have that

Nothing like grinding metal to heavy metal music such as Rob Zombie, Slipknot, and Megadeth.

On to pictures of the actual work being performed:

...I just noticed that from an artistic standpoint, pics 1 and 3 are actually kinda cool from an artistic standpoint too. Maybe I'm just weird though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gear fanatic.

Send a message via AIM to Omega Chief

I see that file... It's to fine. Stop abusing yourself! We can't let you have a heart attack now can we? Even if you desire one... : )

-Omega Chief
Omega Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

Didnt you ever learn shop safety?!?! Never use a file without a handle over the tang!!!!

Man, i got in trouble for that one a few times, and my shop teacher is a total whack-job. He hates 'fingeritis' so he put a silver paste on all the handles of the milling machine (which are silver), so whenever a yayhoo walks by and grabs the handle, they get pasted...

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Gear fanatic.

Send a message via AIM to Omega Chief

Haha. I had a teacher who went on that way about files to. Heck, the edges on the tang are one of the most useful parts. It works perfect for removing burrs and slicing thin strips off of sharp edges and the like.

-Omega Chief
Omega Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
I dunno. I took shop classes in New Hampshire. They were more worried about us lopping our arms off with the radial arm saw than grinding ourselves up with the files. And rightly so, IMO
Quote:
Old 08-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Got that faux front block I was working on finished. But no more pictures until after she comes back from Ano (If I can afford to send her out.)

Left on my list:

pseudo-half block
Top-cocking conversion
Pull pin mod for the bolt
Ano job (Cross your fingers.) I'm hoping for Purple and Bronze sponge.
Quote:
Old 08-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
I got the pseudo-half blocking done and I'm about 2.5 hours away from the top cocking slot being done, thanks to the new round file I grabbed at the hardware store this morning. Filing with the round one is worse on my hand than the flat one was before I got used to it!
Quote:
Old 08-15-2006, 06:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
All the body work is done. As soon as I get the cash together, the gun's going out to Rainman for a Purple/bronze sponge. It's gonna look bad assed! I left a few spots rough, but it will be completely functional. I just don't have the patience to have tolerances within thousandths of an inch.

BTW: I compared it with the other Raptor body I got. This one is about 30 percent lighter.
Quote:
Old 08-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
I think I'm gonna ditch the LP conversion on this Raptor, I'm gonna go dual bottle a la Palmer. One backbottle tank and one vert bottle tank, and I'm gonna use siphon valve 20 oz tanks. With the stubby barrel it's gonna put out a hell of a smokescreen at castle.
Quote:
Old 08-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
The reciever and 2 barrels are off to Rainman 229's for anno. Like I said, Purple/Bronze sponge with the purple being the dominant color. One barrel is the stubby shown in the progress pictures and another was the factory barrel from my old Silver Eagle Raptor.

This gun should be a lot of fun for me to use, I remember how my SE raptor would suck straight liquid right out of a non-siphoned 12 oz co2 tank way back when I would use it, and how well it would work like that (About as good as a blowback marker with about 4 ounces of reciprocating mass can work.) influenced my decision to go straight liquid.

I decided that if I can do it cheap enough, I'm gonna do a sleeper sear tripper E-conversion. I'm entered in the $25 and under category, and I'm gonna stick with it for the contest.
Quote:

Last edited by Murph; 08-18-2006 at 05:50 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions