mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #51 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
I don't have a motor right now I'll see if I can borrow one to 3d scan

Playing 2/10 takes balls, but only a few
http://210paintball.com/ home of the 2 man 10 ball games
MCB Feedback
Morhaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #52 (permalink)

I'll keep checking back here, I've been playing with Nylon more lately, it's really awesome material compared to everything else I've tried so far. Very tough, but it is fairly pliable, I think we can design/incorporate something to stiffen it up if needed though when we get to actual designing of the top.
Bobbitay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #53 (permalink)
A.B.K.

CCM Fan
Has anyone thought about picking up a VL Quantum hopper and trying to replicate that with better internals or design? Those were small, only held 140 but were garbage.
SOGAmember666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #54 (permalink)

The only hopper I have other than gravity hoppers is a Vlocity. But since they don't really make much of anything for those anymore, I figured that wouldn't be a very good platform to build off of.

And as far as making a completely new hopper... honestly, I don't want to think further than doing a part of a shell at this point. If that works out, then I might move forward into something more ambitious. I bet super_stanchy feels the same. And nothing has been discussed or decided about any sort of production. 3D printing isn't a very quick method of production. It's fast for one-off's, but it certainly isn't for making 1000 pieces. (Which would likely take me an entire year with my 3D printer) ALL I've said and as far as I know ss has said, is that we would try to prototype an upper of a Rotor shell. Which is more ambitious than most people realize.

OH, and I read the comment about 3D scanning the rotor shell! That would be awesome. Especially if you know how to modify the file after scanning. I know STL files can be a pain to modify with most CAD software. But maybe it doesn't scan only into an STL file.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #55 (permalink)
A.B.K.

CCM Fan
I just emailed several loader companies on this idea. Hopefully they email me with some positive answers.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #56 (permalink)
A.B.K.

CCM Fan
Randy from Virtue said it was a great idea however they don't want to pursue making it.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #57 (permalink)
Five four three two one

If you need 3D scans of a Rotor top (or anything else) take a look at using the 123D Catch app from Autodesk (for your smart phone). Essentially, you take multiple pictures on an item from multiple angles and Autodesk stiches them together in 'The Cloud' and provides you mesh files.

Here's a mesh I got when I gave it a try a couple months back. I never got back to it but I'm sure I could have done a better job if I had just tried again and followed some of the tutorials out there.

onecaribou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #58 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

That's cool, but are there any dimensions tied to it? If so, are they even usable?

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #59 (permalink)
Five four three two one

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
That's cool, but are there any dimensions tied to it? If so, are they even usable?
Yes, but sadly, my scan came out badly enough that I can't get it sliced/imported into any of the (free) programs I use for actual CAD besides the web based sculpting tool on the Autodesk site. That's probably because of the holes and other issues caused by the crappy pictures I took. Even with a freshly cleaned lens my seriously battered iphone takes foggy, weird, imprecise pics.

I may give this another try with the ipad or a fancy digital camera when I have time.

Note - with a good scan (and lots of people have posted good scans) you can export files to STL format, clean it up in a CAD tool and (3D) print it.

Last edited by onecaribou; 04-02-2013 at 03:51 PM.
onecaribou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #60 (permalink)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that you will be able to get a useful CAD file out of a scan from an IPAD. Not to mention, I don't think super_stanchy is trying to replicate the shell, I think he's trying to make a, new, lower capacity upper. Which means he will have to modify the STL file. There are few CAD programs that will modify STL files, and especially not with ease. But, I'm not an expert with any CAD software and maybe I misunderstand the difficulties related to modifying STL, but I do know I've never been able to do much with a STL file...

Here is a thread where a similiar topic about modifying STL files was discussed on reprap (opensource 3D printing community) forums: How to edit Thingiverse STL files

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions