mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/)
-   -   Honing question (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/230100-honing-question.html)

Vitalsilence 03-29-2013 09:58 PM

Honing question

ok i'm putting this here because i don't see a more appropriate place. i got a BL Vice in a trade and the breech is scratched up badly. so i know that i could roller burnish the whole thing but those run 300-400 dollars. so i was thinking of using a flex-hone say 600-800 grit to refinish it a bit. would this be even worth the trouble and i'm shooting for removal of say .005" how much would that change how the orings seal on the pillow bolt for efficiency purposes? lmk what you think.

EvilCreature 03-29-2013 10:24 PM

Flex-HoneŽ for Paintball Guns Manufacturing & Supplies: Brush Research Manufacturing

Select a "barrel" type. Select Levigated Alumina. Select "Extra fine" This is about 1200 grit, I believe. That will be the finest hone and will remove a minimal (if any) amount of material on your barrel.

There is a huge thread on this HERE and HERE. Look up the user agentSmith, he has posted a lot about flew hones. Some swear by flex honing.

Vitalsilence 03-29-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilCreature (Post 2669130)
Flex-HoneŽ for Paintball Guns Manufacturing & Supplies: Brush Research Manufacturing

Select a "barrel" type. Select Levigated Alumina. Select "Extra fine" This is about 1200 grit, I believe. That will be the finest hone and will remove a minimal (if any) amount of material on your barrel.

There is a huge thread on this HERE and HERE. Look up the user agentSmith, he has posted a lot about flew hones. Some swear by flex honing.

Thanks and do you think this would fix a scratched up breech

joedirt199 03-30-2013 08:44 AM

depends on how deep the scratchs are. if they are just through the finish or deeper then you may need something in the 600-800 grit range. that 1200 grit will not go through the anno unless you just leave it in one spot for a long time.

Vitalsilence 03-30-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedirt199 (Post 2669387)
depends on how deep the scratchs are. if they are just through the finish or deeper then you may need something in the 600-800 grit range. that 1200 grit will not go through the anno unless you just leave it in one spot for a long time.

The scratches are pretty bad but I didn t know if I should order 600 or 800 was unsure cause I don t want to take to much material off just smooth it out a little.

dynastypballa 03-30-2013 08:05 PM

I do this with a 600 grit flex hone when I restore my markers. I also make and hand size a new bolt so...

It will make your bolt loose that is for sure. Whether that effects performance..well that is where you have to be the judge.

Vitalsilence 03-30-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynastypballa (Post 2669817)
I do this with a 600 grit flex hone when I restore my markers. I also make and hand size a new bolt so...

It will make your bolt loose that is for sure. Whether that effects performance..well that is where you have to be the judge.

you think i could make up the lost material with thicker orings? maybe metric o-rings

tjd10684 04-04-2013 01:47 AM

refresh my memory is a victory a spool or poppet? the reason I ask is to determin what the orings on the bolt actually DO ya know do they seal pressure like the ones on the spool might or are they there just as a technicality. like on most poppets. I would suggest a 800 hone and work it in small increments 15-20 sec at a time and check it that way you will not get too deep accidentally. Also remember hones are not suppose to be used stationary. what i mean is you should never stop a hone in a bore while its spinning always keep it moving up and down the bore a really good hone job is marked by the cross pattern that the marks make in the bore. what this pattern means is that the id surface of the bore is even.

http://www.atpengines.com/Cylinder_H...eeve_Honed.jpg

and use lots of oil it slows the process down and keeps things cool. it also keeps the hone stones form loading up and then galling the bore.

Vitalsilence 04-04-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjd10684 (Post 2674229)
refresh my memory is a victory a spool or poppet? the reason I ask is to determin what the orings on the bolt actually DO ya know do they seal pressure like the ones on the spool might or are they there just as a technicality. like on most poppets. I would suggest a 800 hone and work it in small increments 15-20 sec at a time and check it that way you will not get too deep accidentally. Also remember hones are not suppose to be used stationary. what i mean is you should never stop a hone in a bore while its spinning always keep it moving up and down the bore a really good hone job is marked by the cross pattern that the marks make in the bore. what this pattern means is that the id surface of the bore is even.

http://www.atpengines.com/Cylinder_H...eeve_Honed.jpg

and use lots of oil it slows the process down and keeps things cool. it also keeps the hone stones form loading up and then galling the bore.

It s a vice and it s a poppet so orings are technical. What stone material would you use?

tjd10684 04-04-2013 11:54 AM

Al03 is fine no need for boron

This honing process is technically a grinding process so i choose the material the same way I would for a standard grinding wheel. And your never supposed to grind a Al really without dressing the wheel frequently or you will load the load it up and destroy it. Same thing applies with honing but since you can't dress it you dunk it in oil and run it as little as possible knowing full well it WILL be ruined eventually. I do a quick hone on the raw sections of barrels when I bore them I only do it for like 10-15 sec just to take out the tool marks even then I only get about 100 barrels out of a hone before it's too loaded to work