mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

100% Lye drain cleaner, like Red Devil, works great. One tablespoon per 16 oz of water is pretty good. It will eat holes in clothes, so don't leave anything wet on your skin (or eyes, ie. wear safety glasses). Add it to the water, not the other way around. The stripping action varies with temperature (60F is slow, 100F is fast). Clean the ano beforehand to remove grease and sticker glue. Check the time required to strip the color off the part, then strip about that much longer.

Barkeepers friend contains oxalic acid and makes a good post-strip cleaner. You have to coat the part well since it is relatively weak.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
RUN IT ON LIQUID!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
I've found places online that I can order tumbler media from but the shipping is more than I want to pay. There are a few places in my area that may carry it but my schedule is super busy for the next week so I will have to wait until next week to check them out.

I'm going to stay away from the oven cleaner in the future. While it is cheap and easy to get, it just proves that cheap and easy isn't always the way to go.
Tumbler media can usually be bought at your local gun store. Sportsman's Warehouse, bass pro, cabelas, any places like that should have it.

MCB Feedback
resistance16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Red... your note about the ferrous material is spot on. It's kind of cool what the process did to the connecting screw I was using but I'm sure this contributed to the uneven results I got.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7414/9...c5832b6c_z.jpg

Before I do any more testing, I'm going to work on properly stripping the bodies and obtain some aluminium wire for connecting to the parts.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5342/9...f8f44d5d_z.jpg

A few notes about this image. The body on the top is the one that I've been using for the cathode in this project. When I first started using it there was a fair amount of colour left on it. After processing two pieces, all the colour is gone and it has a good finish. I think it's worth investigating the use of a part as a cathode as part of the prep process.

It's this prep process that I believe to be my biggest hurdle. All of the parts I'm using are from beat up old markers. Before I do any more anno attempts, I will test a few different finishing steps after stripping the old colour. Kind of wish that I had a compressor and a sand blaster and the space to use a sand blaster... but if wishes were fishes we'd walk on the sea.

This week is filled with activity so it will be next Sunday at the earliest before I get a chance to do any more testing. Stay tuned.
I should be in the shop next week. you can beadblast a few parts if you want.

I can also give you some raw scrap parts to practice on. at least i think i can lol.

That also migt help you narrow down where the problem is coming from.

Anodizing eats steel for breakfast.

You should also look into cleaning and desmutting after stripping.
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

Not completely unrelated: If you're willing, I'd like to send you a few small pieces of aluminum (something like 2"x5" no thicker than 1/2") with a TIG bead run down the middle to test on. I'm curious how my filler rods (possibly a couple different kinds, depending on what I can get my hands on) will react with the anodizing. I'd get answers, you'd get practice. PM me if it sounds like something you'd want to do. I have neither the time or energy to try and set up my own anodizing kit right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Are You Smoking Crack?
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #25 (permalink)

Figure ill chime in a little seeing as I know a little bit about anodizing. You want to order actual lye it strips it Very quickly and Very cleanly as apposed to greased lightning.

2 lbs Technical Grade Sodium Hydroxide Lye Beads

This is what I order. for 4 bucks that will strip Hundreds of parts.

This is generally my process when it comes to prepping metal for anodizing...

Degreaser 140+ degrees ( Some say its a useless step) 10 minutes

Rinse part 5 minutes Hot water Wipe down with towel to make sure any grease or anything is off

Lye 140 Degrees 2-5 minutes Generally pulls all the old anodizing off If you want a dust finish leave it in for 10 minutes.

I usually toss it in the degreaser for a bit too cleans it up.

then I use the Deox for 5 minutes

Anodize for 60 for Gloss finish.

Dye whatever the hell u want

Seal 30-60 minutes depending on quantity of parts.
TFrevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFrevold View Post
Figure ill chime in a little seeing as I know a little bit about anodizing. You want to order actual lye it strips it Very quickly and Very cleanly as apposed to greased lightning.

2 lbs Technical Grade Sodium Hydroxide Lye Beads

This is what I order. for 4 bucks that will strip Hundreds of parts.

This is generally my process when it comes to prepping metal for anodizing...

Degreaser 140+ degrees ( Some say its a useless step) 10 minutes

Rinse part 5 minutes Hot water Wipe down with towel to make sure any grease or anything is off

Lye 140 Degrees 2-5 minutes Generally pulls all the old anodizing off If you want a dust finish leave it in for 10 minutes.

I usually toss it in the degreaser for a bit too cleans it up.

then I use the Deox for 5 minutes

Anodize for 60 for Gloss finish.

Dye whatever the hell u want

Seal 30-60 minutes depending on quantity of parts.
Do you use any nickel acetate in your seal bath?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

I use caswells sealer whatever that is. I think it is nickel acetate. Never really read the contents just the directions lol
TFrevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
Tinkerer

The lye beads look awesome. Too bad the shipping cost to Ontario is three times what the product costs. I'm looking around to see if I can source those locally.

I'm starting to think that setting up a US post office box and making the two hour drive to check my mail might be worth it.

feedback
ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
The lye beads look awesome. Too bad the shipping cost to Ontario is three times what the product costs. I'm looking around to see if I can source those locally.

I'm starting to think that setting up a US post office box and making the two hour drive to check my mail might be worth it.
Come to pump panemonium on the 19th. have it shipped to EMR. bring it back with you.

I have extra seats
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
Come to pump panemonium on the 19th. have it shipped to EMR. bring it back with you.

I have extra seats
When I first read about Pandemonium I got all excited and tried talking the rest of my team into coming down for it. Then they reminded me that's the same weekend as Conflict Columbia, my home field's big event. I have to stick around here to help ref the game.

If I were more patient, I would just have it shipped to my dad's place in Michigan and let him mule it into Ontario for me when he comes to visit the day after that.

I'm so impatient that I've had the tumbler running overnight with corn cob and rouge to see what happens. Maybe I should go look at that rather than sitting at the computer.

feedback
ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions