mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 10-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer50505 View Post
I'm gonna assume its steel then if it weighs as much as the benchmark trigger plate. Use the brass tipped acrews then
I'll confirm that the Extreme Rage trigger plate is steel. There's spots of rust in the crazy haired icon on mine. I've been told that it was never considered a great trigger since the steel isn't hardened; but with all wear surfaces having roller bearings, I've never has a problem with mine, and it's as smooth as it could be; even with regular, rounded tipped guide screws.

why do you think i drive so carefully?

My feedback
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys! I plan on just polishing it out and using the screws I have since they're not a standard set, both are smaller compared to one big one small from a regular slider frame.

I've heard the concerns with the extreme rage triggers and sears but with it being a pump I'm not too worried.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #23 (permalink)

New VA got here today, I'm very happy with the size of it but dissappointed that it's angled. I thought I had ordered a straight one but when I looked back it didn't say. It's no as angled as the one that came on the gun, it's like a 10* or something minor. I guess I'll have to live with it for now and see how I like it.

Edit: I just looked back and I did get the wrong one. The one pictured, it was on ebay, does not have the hole for a 3-way but the channel for an e-cocker and looks to be straight. I'll have to get this sorted out now.

Last edited by rjones1213; 10-18-2013 at 01:49 PM.
rjones1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

Got my new sled in today, very happy with the quality and that it's already drilled and tapped for dual pump rods. One less thing to do!

Hopefully I'll have time to make my pump arms soon, planned on already having them made but stuff comes up and I'm not going to rush anything. I'll continue work on the body and should have regular progress for a while.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #25 (permalink)

Made some awesome progress tonight!

Got both of my pump rods made. The brass threaded easier than I thought it would and turned out really nice I would say. Only thing left to do is clean up the ends slightly, even though they're unseen, and polish them again :evilgrin:

In the vice with the die

Fresh cut threads

Also got my pump handle modded for dual pump rods and set screws to use smooth pump rods instead of threaded. No room for set screws in the back block.

Pump rods in my new sled

Handle and sled together

Last thing for these parts is just to shorten or find shorter set screws. It's going to some short screws but I should be able to manage. Probably end up just cutting down the ones I have.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #26 (permalink)

More progress for tonight. I got a lot of work done on the brass secondary pump guide and finished up the pump rods.

Here is the brass stock after being cut = hacksaw

After being cut I filed it flat then sanded down with 220, 400, 600 = this picture

This is the other end, I filed it down and rounded it out with 220 and worked up to 600

Here it is next to the stock guide

After some 1200 grit

And finally polished

Pump rods got a similar treatment. Filed flat, sanded down and polished

Brass vs SS (not polished) guide

Brass rod cut for bolt pin, more work on this later

Everything polished up nice

Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #27 (permalink)

You may have noticed my new guide is short with no room for threads. Since I don't have the means to turn down the brass rod perfectly I'm going to improvise slightly.
I plan on drilling out the flat size of the guide and tapping it for 10-32 threads, then using a threaded section of the smaller rod, same as the pump arms, to act as the threads for the guide. I will loc-tite the threaded section into the main part of the guide so they will act as one piece and should never separate.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

Last night I decided to take some pictures of my new shiny stuff in the pump handle.

Today got a few minor things done. Found out home improvement stores and tractor supply don't carry any bolts in the right threading for an autococker VA. Didn't make it to a real hardware store but will tomorrow.
I did find some shorter set screws in stainless steel.

New 3/16" vs. old 1/4"

Started to shave down the SS screw

Closer

Decided to take a different one way down to see if it's possible to get one flush

Getting closer

Success!

How small it actually took! Only about 2-3 threads left but it's still solid as you can see.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #29 (permalink)

Got a few more small things done tonight. Threaded more of the 3/16th rod to use for the secondary pump guide. Also drilled out the brass guide and was going to tap it but need a vice to hold it and will have to go back to the garage for that.

Pics for now

Tomorrow I'll tap out the guide and loc-tite the threaded section into it. Turned out pretty decent for my ****ty drill press.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

hit your Al parts with some "mothers" mag and aluminum polish. Its amazing stuff, youll see the difference in shine within seconds. The finer the sanding youve done the better the finished product with the mothers polish.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions