mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 10-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
I don't finish projects

Pile of Poo "Illustrated" - 2013 Entry

This is my picture and progress thread for my 2013 Pile of Poo entry.

Our story starts on a lazy afternoon two years ago searching craigslist for "that one find" that we all hope to stumble across. You know the kind I'm talking about... 12 NIB KPs for $25 a piece or something. Alas, my luck isn't that good - perhaps why I've never won the lottery either. I did stumble across a marker from my early paintball years, labeled as "Paintball Marker" with a number of extras for an astonishingly low price. After contacting and meeting the seller I was the proud new owner of a very smelly briefcase containing an F1 Illustrator, multiple barrels and tanks, and some spare parts.

I thought this would make a nice tribute to Spider! and his original 2009 F1 Illustrator Pile that once assembled he decided was too nice to do anything but restore and cherish - but I have another low serial, minty F1 so what have I got to lose?!

Before

It has been sitting on my workbench like this for a little over a year now. The pieces to a project that never came to be

Parts/Materials w/ Costs
AK-47 Shroud - $24.98
Magpul AFG2 - $14.99
ANS Duckbill - $6.00
45* 1/8th npt fitting - $1.00
90* Warp Adapter - $9.00
Warp Hose - $9.95

Total: $65.92

Total Cost excludes original Poo and items I had knocking around my gearbag/parts bin as noted.

Last edited by Surf2Live; 11-07-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Surf2Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
I don't finish projects

Well first off since I've got that sweet Taso lonestar bottomline adapter I'll need an ASA. Aaaaaand of course... now I'm beginning to remember that there was different bolt spacing 20 years ago So I ordered a 'new to me' ASA from Bacci. For those that have never seen what I'm talking about; or just don't remember, here is the old 1.25" spacing style (the non-threaded hole is to access the single screw that mounts the grip to the frame):

So while I wait on some functional bits let's make it look better. There wasn't really a huge aftermarket for the early Illustrators so I'll have to get creative. Well, I've never owned anything Milsim or Milsim'ish, let's give it a shot! After doing some research and shopping I decided that my F1's body dimensions are not far off from Mr. Mikhail Kalashnikov's claim to fame. I ordered a tactical front shroud and was determined to make it fit.

Everything looks good except there is a bit of ribbing and support material inside the shroud that has to go. Below you can see the shroud's two-piece construction. This will make it easy to mount on the body once all of the internal structure from the top half is gone.

Into the vise it goes and out come the hacksaw, Dremel, and files. Anything horseshoe shaped inside the shroud has to go and even though I have access to mills and lathes I am determined to complete this using only hand tools since this is a Poo Polishing contest afterall.

Last edited by Surf2Live; 10-30-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
I don't finish projects

Ahhhhh, it's all done and fits perfectly. I ended up having to trim the front of the grip frame just a tad because of how the shroud is cut to clear the feed tube. I had to move it back slightly to leave enough meat for the rear mounting hole on the shroud to remain useful. I threw on an old duckbill I had laying around using one screw so I could mount a tank and have a look. I also found my ASA to 1/8 npt plug and tossed it on the back so I can run my bottomline. I'm planning to run this off of a 9 or 12 oz. CO2 if I can find either of them in the garage. The one pictured is a 7oz. bottle.

Just the marker:

The business end:

It makes for a nice little CQB setup as it is, but I have much bigger plans in store for this little Illustrator. That's it until I get a couple more parts in that are on order

Last edited by Surf2Live; 10-30-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Terminus Est

great work on that shroud, looks like a cool machine pistol
SKULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Interesting! I always thought the F-1 was too light to start with.

Honestly, from the first post, I thought this was going to be a brief-case gun. Just as well that it's not; briefcases on the paintball field might as well look like markers. That and the F-1 trigger would be a tricky remote.

Is the 7 oz over 15 years old?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
5 Past Hammer 7ime

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Subbing because impending awesome.
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
I don't finish projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULL View Post
great work on that shroud, looks like a cool machine pistol
Thanks! I took a complete gamble on it since we all know how measurements found online tend to differ from real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Interesting! I always thought the F-1 was too light to start with.

Honestly, from the first post, I thought this was going to be a brief-case gun. Just as well that it's not; briefcases on the paintball field might as well look like markers. That and the F-1 trigger would be a tricky remote.

Is the 7 oz over 15 years old?
Truth be told the weight of the F1 is one of the things that attracted me to it years ago and why I still love mine. It doesn't weigh much and has a very satisfying *kachunk* with each cycle... almost like a VM

The 7 oz is the original tank that came with this gun in 1991 so it just turned 22 this year; but it is aluminum and fits the 2" rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
Subbing because impending awesome.
Good idea... you have no idea how awesome this is about to get
Old 10-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
5 Past Hammer 7ime

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Knowing you and your work I have no doubt.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
I don't finish projects

Got my Magpul AFG2 and some parts from Bacci in tonight.

And I also grabbed my stock F1 barrel out of the gearbag. I checked the wall thickness and it should be OK to be Freak bored. We'll see how much money the rest of the project costs.

And a taste of what's to come...

Old 11-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
5 Past Hammer 7ime

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Ooooooo. OOOOOOOOO.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions

« Autococker sr | BMW »