mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Question Building my hot rod mech cocker

So as I stated in the title, I'm looking to start a cocker build to mimic the style of one of the hyperball era autocockers. Like the flame drop, super hot rod cockers I saw when I was a kid

I'd imagine these cockers were mechanical, and this is the type of auto cocker I'd like to build. I am literally doing my research into building an auto cocker as we speak, or as you read more like it. So needless to say, I am an infant in this territory, I only know very general terms, and not really what to look for.

So basically, every little bit helps, and I am going to be researching as of now, but I figured I'd start by asking the experts

EDIT 11/6/13
Ok, so this project is starting to get under way
This is my base body ('99 Shocktech Hookups)

This chrome Shocktech Bomb

This very cool Slik Edge Lite backblock

and I just bought a NIB Shocktech Phat hammer

I think you can tell I like Shocktech stuff lol, I'll update this build as I start getting the gun built

Last edited by gijoey959; 11-06-2013 at 02:13 PM.
gijoey959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Personaly I always start with a body I like then frame, lower internals, bolt, pnematics. The reason i start with the body and frame first is because they are the biggest parts and contribute the most to the way it feels in the hands. Everything else I find on here
nacho8405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Update from today's research

I'm looking at just building it from the ground up, I am thinking about just buying a body to start with and building from scratch. I'm not really looking for rarity, so much as high performance. If a high performance part happens to be rare and worth the looking, of course I'll go for it though.

Basically, I am looking for parts advice in terms of internals at this point. I've decided on a Shocktech bomb 3 way and a hinge frame in the time that I've been searching. I think I'm gonna use a flame drop and check-it asa just for the old school appeal. LPR is up in the air, as well as the ram.

I reaaalllllyyy have no clue what is considered high end when it comes to the hammer and all of that. I really don't know what is what in terms of the firing assembly, or what is good to upgrade or what should be adjustable, etc....

I guess it would help if I knew what kind of body I wanted to go with, so I will say I've been looking at freeflow bodies for my build, and I think I'm fairly comfortable keeping it that way.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Free flow bodies are great and their internals are some of the best I had a free floe millinium with stock free flow lower and it was great I have also used stock wgp lower and its good too. Palmers makes a great lpr and I can't really help you with rams bc I like the stock rams bc they work
nacho8405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Yeah, I found that cockerpunk video on YouTube about upgrades, and basically, I'm just gonna pick the coolest looking one I can find that will match the gun.

I'm thinking about foregoing the qevs on the ram for the smoother shot mentioned in that same video as well, but if someone gives good advice otherwise, who am I to say any one person is wrong?

Also glad to know freeflow bodies are good, I really like the lotus, and a few others. I'm pretty much set with shocktech pneumatics, I like the looks, and have heard nothing but good. Plus the price versus belsales and eclipse parts is great
Old 11-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
My favorite cocker build, which I did for a local shop so money wasn't an issue (), was an all AKA build. Tornado valve, Lightning bolt, Sidewinder HPR, SCM LPR, pump arm. I think we stuck with a stock WGP hammer though.

Sweet spotted the reg and it was the most freakishly efficient cocker we ever put together. Imagine getting a hopper and almost two pods... off a 4oz CO2.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
My personal favorite for that old school look build and nostalgia is one like the cocker I have in my collector sig. WGP body, benchmark slide frame, aka trigger plate and sear, aka lowers, aka bolt, mighty max, clippard ram, palmers rock, STO 3 way, air america violator reg and dye boomy. IMO that was the best and most classy setup back in the early 90's. Before Belsales and Eclipse started hitting the market.
Mad Anthony P8ntball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Yeah, I'm thinking of an AKA SCM lpr since I LOVE akalmp parts, and I'm thinking if I can find it, a sidewinder HPR as well, but then again, I kinda want chrome regs because I want to use chrome pneumatics

I'm shooting for a red/chrome gun btw
Old 11-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
I like Spyders now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoey959 View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking of an AKA SCM lpr since I LOVE akalmp parts, and I'm thinking if I can find it, a sidewinder HPR as well, but then again, I kinda want chrome regs because I want to use chrome pneumatics

I'm shooting for a red/chrome gun btw
You're in luck. There are chrome Sidewinders out there! You can't go wrong with a chrome 2-liter though
Old 11-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
hrrrrmmmmm, 2-liters are pretty hard to find, I think they have the less desirable 2-liter+s more readily available. I pretty much love everything AKA has made, I use AKA parts in every build I can lol

BUT I don't even have the funding yet, so the search is going to be buying parts at a time until I can afford to buy the body and go from there. I think I am going to try and track down a chrome Shocktech bomb first, since they aren't too expensive, when they pop up. Its just a matter of finding a chrome one that is as close to new as possible.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions