mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Refillable mags for T8/T9/.1s

I have been looking over the Rap4 refillable 12gram and it got me thinking. There has to be an easier and cheaper way to make refillable mags for my T8.

Fist off, I did some research on the pressure contained in various CO2 tanks, the construction of the magazine's valve, safe tank pressures, and so on.

So, the valve should work just like that of any "thunder" grenade. You know the ones I am talking about. The same ones everyone has seen around paintball and airsoft fields for years. In fact, I have a bunch and around 4 chargers for them.

Hmmmmm.....

The problem comes in 2 parts.

1) The charger tip doesn't come CLOSE to reaching the valve opening.

2) The charger's tip is way too small

This got me thinking, I could machine a tip adapter pretty easily. Then, wouldn't it be as simple as threading the original charger tip and the new adapter?

NOTE: DOT regulations require the use of a burst disk in pressure vessels larger than two inches in diameter.

So, I am fine without a burst disk it seems and the 12g should be safe unless it is somehow heated above 120F as both the 12g and larger CO2 tanks hold a pressure of approx 850psi.

So, ta-da!

NOTE:
The thickness of a 12g cylinder is 1.1mm steel (Special Forces 12g used)
The thickness of a goblin cartridge is 2mm aluminum
The thickness of a paintball grenade charger is 0.96mm brass (rap4 and goblin used)

Normal Steel has a hardness of 5.5 MOHS
Aluminum has a hardness of 2 - 2.5 MOHS
Brass has a hardness of 3-4 MOHS

This means an empty 12g is a stronger container than a goblin solo paintball cartridge, which is filled WITHOUT a regulator from a larger CO2 tank. Also, the tank is far stronger and less likely to fail than the tip of the paintball grenade chargers we have all been using for many years.

HOWEVER! For safety I would suggest that if you try this yourself ONLY fill if you have a regulator to keep the pressure at or below 850psi. The failure rating of a 12g is approx 1200psi and a larger tank USUALLY only holds at 850, but it is best to be safe in the event your larger tank has been left out in the sun.

Also, I have yet to fully test this myself and I only have an near empty 9oz tank and a mountain of other full 12gram cylinders. I will try to get a tank filled and test this out sometime this week with a Chrono. I will let you know how many shots it gets on average and when the dropoff is. Then, a comparison to a normal 12g.
Diggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
BOOM headshot!

Very nice! I've heard mumblings about whether this would be possible or not, glad to see someone taking the initiative to try it out (and with safety in mind, as well.) Look forward to seeing the test results. If refilling a mag this way results in a usable number of shots...
My feedback: MCB / a5og / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thankyou. Hopefully this turns out to be a viable option for reloading Tiberius magazines. Either way, it will shed some light on the new Rap4 cartridges as I have not seen a single word on them yet.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

subscribed, glad to see someone out there doing this
hmcl281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
all work

I've done the ghetto rigged version(nipple epoxied to thunder grenade filler) It works. I'd love to purchase a machined nipple that mates to my charger though. LMK when you have one for me.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

i had an idea for refillable cartridges for the zeus but thought i needed a lathe to make but after seeing this i could make a built in one modifying the end cap to have a fill valve and the rest to have a tube with o-rings. ill have to see if i have a spare cap(warsensor, not armotech or i would just use something asa threaded.)
Istobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I am trying to find some brass rod with a hole already in it. Not having to drill out the inside on my lathe would make producing these a breeze.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

You may want to look at the PCP air rifles. Most of them have a cylinder slung under the barrel with a HPA fill nipple threaded into the end of the pressure cylinder. You hook up your special bike pump or HPA/SCUBA tank to the end and fill up the cylinder. Good to go.

You may want to think along those lines.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

The problem with those is that with the size of a 12g cylinder you will probably only get 3-5 shots out of a magazine. I have not tried this with HPA at all, though with a regulator I see no reason why it would not work.

Just ordered 15ft of 5mm brass rod. Once these have been tested fully I may make a batch Nightstar.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
BOOM headshot!

Still looking forward to seeing how v2 comes out. Just picked up a couple t8.1s for a real nice price, so now my interest is actually justified.
My feedback: MCB / a5og / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions