mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Goblin Modding (Gobbling!?)

So I've been playing paintball for a dozen years or so, but have always used semis, never had the chance to use a pump. Some of the most fun I've had was playing games "civil war" style loading paint into the feedneck manually each shot. Naturally I was interested in trying out a Goblin when they were released, and ended up picking up a Deuce a while ago.

It's a ton of fun playing with it, but it's not exactly a well-made marker. The barrel-selector sucks, jams, and causes misfires/jammed reloading. The sizers are far from ideal. The barrel is too short to get any decent consistent velocity. Reloading the cartridges is time consuming and inconsistant. Plenty of problems.

I've decided to try to fix some or all of them. I really enjoy playing with no hopper, makes playing super cheap and very stealthy. No paint rattling around in a hopper or pods as I move around. I'd just like to play with a decent gun that I can count on to work reliably.

So my first solution is to ditch the double barrel/select fire crap. Single shot is fine. I ended up using the Deuce in double-shot mode most of the time anyway, to prevent gun jamming and to increase my chances of at least 1 ball hitting the target.

Secondly, I wanted to get rid of the plastic sizers and increase the barrel length. I tried milling a piece of aluminum to replace the barrel section of the deuce and threading it for cocker barrels, which sort of worked. Made the gun very long and unwieldy, and made it very difficult to reload. So I remade the front again this time designing it to be the length of a freak insert, and to use the freak inserts the same way the original Deuce uses the plastic sizers. This works pretty well. Quieter, much (much!) more accurate, and not too bad to reload. This is how the gun currently sits.

Next thing I want to tackle is coming up with a consistent way of refilling the goblin cartridges. I could go by weight and bring a digital scale, but that's even slower than the current way of reloading. Ideally I'd like something I can take on the field with me and pop a cartridge in, pull a lever or something, and release a loaded cartridge. I've got a few concepts I'm working on.

FYI, I am new to machining, self-taught, and using poor-quality tools. No fancy CNC stuff here. I know there's lots of flaws in my machining, but I'm not always sure how to fix them (or if it's even possible on my equipment). Criticism is welcome, but try and make it constructive
firebat45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

i dig it =)
plan_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

Hell of a great idea on rebuild the front block. I've wanted a goblin deuce for a while but never liked the issues associated with the cartridges. I've seen the cocker threading on the factory front blocks to extend the barrels. Just keep at it with machining. When my Dad first started to teach me on using the lathe and mill he gave me a book that he taught himself from. It was produced by South Bend and it is titled How to operate a lathe.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to [MOOSE]

Brass N Wood Fan
That is really cool. I look forward to what you come up with. I've got a deuce also and I would like to be able to use it reliably. Make it so the freak stays inside the barrel front block thingy and ask you do is throw in a ball and new cartridge.
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
[MOOSE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I am thinking of doing something similar, if I end up not selling my deuce. I was going to 3D print the body, trying to have an actual hammer to hit the cartridge pin.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Man With No Pants

Send a message via Yahoo to butters89

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
... trying to have an actual hammer to hit the cartridge pin.
I have been trying to do this with the old solo and it is tougher than you would think, atleast with hand tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssoslow View Post
I was lucky to get it up with my boy's help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgery View Post
Pump ninja in a kilt.

Feedback
butters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
I am thinking of doing something similar, if I end up not selling my deuce. I was going to 3D print the body, trying to have an actual hammer to hit the cartridge pin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters89 View Post
I have been trying to do this with the old solo and it is tougher than you would think, atleast with hand tools.
I did it. It works better......but still crappy.

Nice front block you made up!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters89 View Post
I won't be using hand tools, I am not that skilled, and don't have the equipment. Having a hard enough time taking the plastic out of a 80% polymer lower with a dremel.

I will 3d model it, and print it out if I find the time. Dukie, can we see pics of the mechanism?
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Anyone weigh their goblin "fills"?

I had a drv frame so I used that.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

So I did some testing with the cocker threaded front block I made, with various 12 and 14 inch barrels. All seemed to seriously hamper the fps, I don't have a chrono yet but definitely too slow to be usable. Slower than 200fps for sure. Tried the freak front block with some different inserts, and it works quite well. There might be some use to a 8 or 10 inch Barrel, but I'm doubtful. I'll try it anyway once I get tooling to make barrels or a cheap enough barrel to cut up. Also planning on getting a chrono for some quantifiable results.

I'm also going to try modifying the cartridge filler to seal better against the cartridges. Right now co2 sort of goes everywhere when trying to fill.
firebat45 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions