mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 08-14-2006, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Spyder questions...

well, broken hand and cast aside(its my right hand too...), i started working on my spyder today. well, sort of...

given the knowledge of markers and cutting them up to make all sorts of things i might as well get some input before i hack up anything since i have almost no budget to replace anything.

im playing with the idea of a bolt action 12g powered 10rd spring feed rifle(sc maybe). i have seen a few pumps done, but not a bolt action spyder so i thought what the hell.

i have been looking for a decent donor spyder that has what i want in it.

- vert feed w/ detachable feed neck
- rear cocking, not side, top or that other kind(were the windows are cut out of the top), need a full length body.
- a plain rounded style not the blocky carved ones like a rodeo.

i looked at it and the flash, e99, and xtra fit this. the aggressor may work if the air fitting on the bottom is 1/8th and not that metric crap kingman use to use, it doesnt use the removable asa like most other spyders. it also cuts some options, but thats later.

i have a stock from my old gamo air gun, most of the spyder pieces i will need(minus vert body, half decent yet absurdly long barrel and custom trigger group i will end up making.), the 12g drop changer i plan on using and a pile of spare parts.

so that all leads to this....

i know i need to slot the striker(or something to let the bolt and ), but minus sending out to be milled how would i do that. i can probably get a dremel but that will probably turn out crappy. other than slotting it maybe i could leave the pin in the striker and carve up the bolt? i have 4, 2 short and 2 long.

second, im trying to make this as streamlined as possible and dont want a tank protruding from some random place, so i was looking at something along the lines of this.. http://www.ottersccustoms.com/Pics/conv-spyder-2.jpg i know its custom, but i was wondering if a vm adapter would be modable. i looked at working with the asa's i have but would need a plug built for the lpc and then tap the plug for a 1/8 near the bottom(the 12g adapter is to wide unless its dropped a bit to clear the barrel) if the aggressor is 1/8 then i can run a 90deg elbow pointing forward and screw a 1/8 to asa addapter ( http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...l_1907_2633883 ) into it and as of now will keep the guns profile lower than the others minus custom fabrication. the idea is to have the 12g drop changer in the stock and only have the knob sticking out the front with the rest in the stock. im really trying to keep the rifle look and feel as much as possible. any input on how to do this or if any one knows where i can get this stuff i would appreciate it.

third, im looking for a piece of blank aluminum or delrin to make my bolt out of, i have no idea where to look for it, the aluminum tubing i found is to small or to large(home depot/lowes). the only thing i have found has been a 12" long piece of copper coupling, while it fits nicely i cant put o-rings on it, its copper, is pretty thin and im stuck with the finish. how i get the rest of the project to work and the supplies i have to work with sets how i make the bolt work. ill make up a few pics to show what im thinking of later.

last, i am trying to remove the blowback, and have a few questions. other than buying a new valve (madman?) or having a new pin machined. i was playing with the idea of using jbweld to fill the flat spot and sanding it out(ghetto). any ideas?

im still looking for parts so if anyone has an idea where i can get them cheap i would really appreciate it.

eh, im lost now, i have been watching tv while writing this. so if im babbling or make no sense ill clean up in the morning.

im just lost on this at the moment and could use some ideas/help. thanks
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Removable vert. feedneck
rounded body
rear cocking
does it do the trick?
[Pumpster] 12:58 am: yeah, we have $1.2 per L cdn
[Be4life182] 12:59 am: Thats the price you pay for having ure own name for ham
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Be4life182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

http://www.mnmilitia.com/forums/view...ht=spyder+pump

If you need more information, pm me.
Ps. I'm Wolverine on MN Militia Forum
Old 08-15-2006, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Be4life182: Funds are a bit limmited at the moment(something else came up) so unless you can do 15-20 shipped, im at a loss. Is that a wgp boss?

nunrleft: Thank you, i want to do something like that with my spyder. I will probably be in touch soon, i have a few questions that im working on now.

new question, has any one pumped a vm? i may have a spare vm soon and i know that the spyder is based off the vm. do the same principles apply to pumping it? i have never dissasembled one before so i thought i would ask.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Red=mod, but not Schmitti

CCM Fan
I was just thinking of that today, I think if you swap to a spyder valve you can make an awesome bolt action

Great spirits always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds-Albert Einstein

Support your local fields. The game you save may ne your own.

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." ~ Lily Tomlin
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would think that if you used the same concept that is in my link, but instead of a pump grip and cocking rod, slotted the body and mounted a a bolt grip onto the bolt, it could be done. Just make sure that the valve port on the bottom of the bolt lines up with the valve when you lock in place. You'd also have to slot the striker cross wise in order to get the bolt to turn like a true bolt action. Hmmm, sounds interesting. I've got a friend dropping of a TL this weekend for me to do another pump conversion. Maybe I'll surprise him with a bolt action.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hahaha, that would be awsome"Heres your TL, though i didnt make it pump action......"

Just so you all know, i have crap for tools, no machine shop, and very limited abilities right now. These options seem like something i can pull off with minimal tools and with only 1.4 hands. If you have a suggestion or idea i would really appreciate it. Im also on a pretty limited budget so cheap is good.

And i have a few ideas for the bolt. I have an old short bolt and am playing with attaching a rod the same diameter as the bolt to it. It will probably have a bearing on it between it and the bolt. The rear half will be able to rotate seporatly from the front so i only have to slot the striker. First bolt in that pic is kind of what im thinking (i know thats not great but thats the best i can do in paint with my left hand...)

My other option is to take my old tl bolt and make a rotating rear cap(at the very tip) for it, but I like the other option better because every inch of the bolt you can see is rotating and will look much better. Second bolt is stock spyder tl bolt, third is that bolt with the back shaved down so i can put a new knob on it.

Minus sending this striker off to a machinist to be slotted what can i do? It looks like it is pretty hard and im not sure if i can borrow a dremil but will that do it if i can get it?

I will think of more later but heres a few things to play with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bolts.JPG (24.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-16-2006, 02:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

Keep in mind that with a bolt-action rifle, the only part that turns with the bolt handle, is a tiny... colla lookin thing, the whole 'bolt', which holds the cartridge in place as well (I am bad with this whole 'terminology thing'), does not turn.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Ah, well the front half of the first design doesnt rotate, just the back half. The problem with using the tl bolt and just adding a rotating handle is that its diameter on the back half is so much smaller than the body it looks really odd. I have a few options to play with still so we will see. Thanks for that info though.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

A Dremel with a cutting wheel will cut the striker nicely.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions