mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/)
-   -   Considering Mech Conversion on NXT Shocker (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/254320-considering-mech-conversion-nxt-shocker.html)

ThickChestHair 04-03-2014 09:49 PM

Considering Mech Conversion on NXT Shocker

I am considering selling my SL8R and having someone do a mechanical conversion to my NXT Shocker. Does anyone know a good person to contact about having this done?

It is similar to the Ion mech conversion in theory and will (basically) involve putting a 3 way valve behind the trigger, milling the rail out, and threading autococker sized barbs into the body where the solenoid would route air to push the bolt back and forth.

Thanks!

ThickChestHair 04-04-2014 04:51 PM

I just wanted to add that I would be willing to try it myself, but I don't know what 3way could be used that will handle the 200psi output of the shocker reg (autococker 3ways won't, etc).

wd3d 04-04-2014 07:37 PM

You Can Use The Clippard SMAV3 . I use the Sub-Micro Valves - Pneumadyne. I found them to be a better valve.

ThickChestHair 04-04-2014 08:32 PM

It says those have an operating pressure of 50-125psi. Do you think they will work up to the 200psi that the shocker puts out? If not, I could put an lpr in the grip, but would like to avoid that if possible.

wd3d 04-04-2014 10:14 PM

I run them on my pump ions. And they have held up so far.

ThickChestHair 04-04-2014 10:18 PM

Right on, thanks. Now to choose which frame to mod...a slider frame would be pretty rad.

wd3d 04-04-2014 10:24 PM

That would be cool. You could just use the stock frame, but that would not be as much fun to build.

ThickChestHair 04-04-2014 11:42 PM

Bah, that place only ships to the US...

y0da900 04-04-2014 11:49 PM

You need a 4-way, not a 3-way. As Shockers are a perfectly balanced spool, you can't even use constant air as an air spring and cheat with a 3-way. Needs shifting air to each side of the spool.

I've actually had significantly worse performance with the pneumadyne 3-way in mechanical ion conversions than the SMAV-3, but I could have gotten a few lemons. They claim higher flow on paper, but making no changes other than the valve I get a significant velocity drop with the pneumadyne.

I wouldn't tap the body for barbs, I would make a manifold that is tapped for barbs that way you can readily convert the gun back to electro if desired, and you don't risk destroying the body as they have a reputation for developing stripped holes over time as is from the grade of aluminum used.

You may be best off with one of the cocker 4-ways that can handle full pressure. I haven't found an overly desirable mechanical 4-way that is rated for that kind of pressure.

ThickChestHair 04-05-2014 12:12 AM

Thanks Y0da. Do you have a recommendation on which 4way to use (which cocker ones won't leak from the pressure)? I will also have to figure out how to plumb it in now. I assume the 4th barb (middle) on the 4way would just vent into the atmosphere, right?