mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 06-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

So I apparently own both styles of hammer. I just broke the non serviceable one :\

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Can you knock the non broken sear out and scan it above a rule? I might be able to make some recommendations based on that.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #23 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

I'll see what I can do after tomorrow. I've got a game and after that I can afford to break my only working maker in the name of SCIENCE.

By the way Bacci, your site rocks. You should buy out all the ATS stock from Gumby so that it becomes accessible to we peons

My feedback thread
Old 06-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

I'm think I might be able to help you out.

Last summer, I lightly reinvented a 'Cocker sear, making an all-new piece from hardened 01 tool steel.

I can't say it's cheap to do, it'd probably run about what Gumby would charge for the part you mentioned, but if he's not available, I can sure give it a shot.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
I'm think I might be able to help you out.

Last summer, I lightly reinvented a 'Cocker sear, making an all-new piece from hardened 01 tool steel.

I can't say it's cheap to do, it'd probably run about what Gumby would charge for the part you mentioned, but if he's not available, I can sure give it a shot.

Doc.
I very well might take you up on that. If your comic is any idication of the work you actually do, I suspect that I'd have a 25% chance that the new part would also include a quantum-tunnling rocket launcher.

My feedback thread
Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Would 420 steel be terrible for a sear? I found a place that should be able to 3D print it. I know it will need finishing, but its only $8/cm and the sear isn't really that big. I know something like Doc is talking about would work better, but for the sake of discussion how bad of an idea is printed steel?

My feedback thread
Old 06-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkyleofearth View Post
Would 420 steel be terrible for a sear? I found a place that should be able to 3D print it. I know it will need finishing, but its only $8/cm and the sear isn't really that big. I know something like Doc is talking about would work better, but for the sake of discussion how bad of an idea is printed steel?
I'm pretty skeptical, but shapeways does show a lot of "tools". I wonder how those hold up. The 420 must be annealed by the sintering process (?-assumption), but maybe the bronze infusion hardens it along the way. I don't think a nelson sear asks for a whole lot in terms of stress and a little bronze on the surface would be good. Are the springs on an ATS much stiffer than an average nelson pump stroke?

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm pretty skeptical, but shapeways does show a lot of "tools". I wonder how those hold up. The 420 must be annealed by the sintering process (?-assumption), but maybe the bronze infusion hardens it along the way. I don't think a nelson sear asks for a whole lot in terms of stress and a little bronze on the surface would be good. Are the springs on an ATS much stiffer than an average nelson pump stroke?
Couldn't hurt too much to try. Shapeways delivers some pretty quality stuff. You just have to be able to accept the limitations of the material. That said, I've never used sintered metals, so I don't know how they hold up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #29 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Nope, they use standard nelson springs.

My feedback thread
Old 06-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

The sintering processes vary, but like desertT1 said, couldn't hurt to try. It would certainly be interesting. Even if your particular sear fails, it still wouldn't mean any printed sear would fail. Not a bad idea.

I would use a smaller hole in that area where it broke.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions