mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

There are alot of options for customs.Automags,Ions and Hammer 7 fit the bill for reliability and price.Parts are easily obtainable and inexpensive
Search here and other forums on Custom projects to get ideas
Do you have a shop?Bare minimum for custom work you'll need a Dremmel,drillpress,grinder or belt dander and assortment of files and sandpaper.With most of my own projects the tools are a good portion of the budget for builds
If you're going for a milsim look go to flea markets to find a cheap air soft body or rifle stock you like
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
Paintball addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmbrellaCorp. View Post
I think it would be best to go with an autococker platform, ALL of the parts can be found here, or ebay, or the nation. There are plenty of videos and instructions on how to do it. You can choose to have pump or semi with this platform. If you are willing to learn and want a challenge, this is not the easiest of platforms, but not too hard. It will up your understanding of pneumatics, and the theory of how to propel a projectile using compressed air.
Alright, what autococker platforms are there ? I don't want one that is going to end up costing me $800 to buy parts. Preferably in the 300 dollar range all together ?
Baby Jesus Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #23 (permalink)
Paintball addict

Maybe give me a list of a bunch of autocockers.? (: because I can't find anything other than a WGP online. Idk. Maybe I'm not using the right keywords. I just need a list of stuff I can look up. See which one looks great to me. And that's where it will begin
Old 06-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
Paintball addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher068 View Post
There are alot of options for customs.Automags,Ions and Hammer 7 fit the bill for reliability and price.Parts are easily obtainable and inexpensive
Search here and other forums on Custom projects to get ideas
Do you have a shop?Bare minimum for custom work you'll need a Dremmel,drillpress,grinder or belt dander and assortment of files and sandpaper.With most of my own projects the tools are a good portion of the budget for builds
If you're going for a milsim look go to flea markets to find a cheap air soft body or rifle stock you like
Hate to sound dumb again lol, but what would be the purpose of all of those tools? Like, what would you need them for.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #25 (permalink)
Fluffy Bunnies for life!!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Jesus Swag View Post
Alright, what autococker platforms are there ? I don't want one that is going to end up costing me $800 to buy parts. Preferably in the 300 dollar range all together ?
$300 to start?? That's the problem with building your own, you typically start out trying to do it cheap and then it snow balls into the projectzilla that turns out looking great and costing the same as a sports car. The nice thing is at the end you have something you built. The easiest way to go about it with a sniper/ cocker is look for the following:

1. A body- a 2k+ (body made after the year 2000) will work great, earlier ones aren't bad but the parts are a little harder to find. Decide if you want a right feed or vert feed.

2. Valve train- you can pick up the pieces or all together. If you want to go the pump route just get CCM internals they are worth the investment (added bonus is they include all the retaining nuts and screws you will need too as well as the IVG)

3. Grip frime- Slider or hinge, the main thing is what feels good to you. If you want it as a pump then go with CCM if not the look for anything else. The difference is that standard cocker frames have the slot for the trigger rod. Sliders are really nice, I prefer those to hinge but I don't really play semi so I use a CCM 86.

4. Regulator- If your going to build a semi get a decent one, CP makes a bullet proof reg that works great. You can spend more or less but for a decent performing reg you can't beat it. For a pump any reg will do, the recharge rate won't need to be that fast since you aren't working the pneumatics like you would on a semi.

5. Pump kit/ front block- Your choice, if you pump it spend the money go CCM otherwise any kit that is out there will work. If your going semi you can get complete front blocks in the BST, just be careful and look at what is on it.

6. Valve tool- if your going to be doing anything with snipers/ cockers you need one.

7. Reg tester- Build it you will need it.

Search phrases for Google and MCB:

autococker timing, autococker pneumatics, autococker, shocktech 3 way

Some other sites to look at:

PBnation- Autococker section

Custom Cockers- Don't go to their BST, if you think MCB is bad that site is crack cocaine for Cocker enthusiasts

Then you can get really crazy and get it milled and anodized.....oh the money pit it can become.

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback
Jkoselka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #26 (permalink)
Paintball addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoselka View Post
$300 to start?? That's the problem with building your own, you typically start out trying to do it cheap and then it snow balls into the projectzilla that turns out looking great and costing the same as a sports car. The nice thing is at the end you have something you built. The easiest way to go about it with a sniper/ cocker is look for the following:

1. A body- a 2k+ (body made after the year 2000) will work great, earlier ones aren't bad but the parts are a little harder to find. Decide if you want a right feed or vert feed.

2. Valve train- you can pick up the pieces or all together. If you want to go the pump route just get CCM internals they are worth the investment (added bonus is they include all the retaining nuts and screws you will need too as well as the IVG)

3. Grip frime- Slider or hinge, the main thing is what feels good to you. If you want it as a pump then go with CCM if not the look for anything else. The difference is that standard cocker frames have the slot for the trigger rod. Sliders are really nice, I prefer those to hinge but I don't really play semi so I use a CCM 86.

4. Regulator- If your going to build a semi get a decent one, CP makes a bullet proof reg that works great. You can spend more or less but for a decent performing reg you can't beat it. For a pump any reg will do, the recharge rate won't need to be that fast since you aren't working the pneumatics like you would on a semi.

5. Pump kit/ front block- Your choice, if you pump it spend the money go CCM otherwise any kit that is out there will work. If your going semi you can get complete front blocks in the BST, just be careful and look at what is on it.

6. Valve tool- if your going to be doing anything with snipers/ cockers you need one.

7. Reg tester- Build it you will need it.

Search phrases for Google and MCB:

autococker timing, autococker pneumatics, autococker, shocktech 3 way

Some other sites to look at:

PBnation- Autococker section

Custom Cockers- Don't go to their BST, if you think MCB is bad that site is crack cocaine for Cocker enthusiasts

Then you can get really crazy and get it milled and anodized.....oh the money pit it can become.
Haha. Wow. Lots of knowledge. This helps a lot. What amount of money would building one usually cost ? Haha. Just curious
Old 06-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

I understand why the autococker platform has been suggested, but I think the open class phantom would be a better first project. If you want to resell the phantom or a few phantom parts, I think the market is better. If you go the phantom route, take my previous advice. In addition, buy a basic/cheap used phantom to start upgrading.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Paintball addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
I understand why the autococker platform has been suggested, but I think the open class phantom would be a better first project. If you want to resell the phantom or a few phantom parts, I think the market is better. If you go the phantom route, take my previous advice. In addition, buy a basic/cheap used phantom to start upgrading.
I really like it now knowing it has open class capabilities. But it is kinda high for the price range I like to spend. I have a hard time spending 400 new on a pump phantom when I could go buy a new axe for that much.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
HUG?!

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Jesus Swag View Post
Yeah. I really like the looks of those guns. But they don't make any of them anymore do they? Wouldn't that finding parts hard. And if I wanted to build and customize one. Is there somewhere simple to buy custom parts? Or would I have to search long and hard for a certain part?
Actually AGD is still in business. I picked up some brand new parts from them just last year in the fall.

Also I love the Autococker as an tinker/custom platform. Everything on it can be customized to the way you want and play. But the weight of an Autococker or automag can turn people off from these two platforms.

Last edited by Acidpaintball; 06-22-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Acidpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

A used phantom should be between 100 and $200 depending on the options. If you can't find one that cheap, I will sell you one.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions