mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 08-21-2006, 06:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm looking for custom barrel work

I have a project in mind but cant seem to find a propper barrel. Actualy a few projects so a few barrels. 20-24" aluminum barrels in spyder and vm thread is what im after. Brass seems like it would be heavy and at that length probably bend fairly easy. Maybe a brass liner in an aluminum tube but that may be a bit much.

The vm outer diameter should be about 1" maybe with fluting ( I'm thinking that http://www.opsgear.com/Autococker-M8...&category=1638 )and porting on the last 4-6", this will likely be 24". I looked at the wg/mt 20" barrel but dont like the stepdown on the outer diameter, that and im looking for a few more inches.

The spyder one will be a size yet to be determined but in the 22-24" range and about the same diameter as the body, probably 7/8. Smooth with no detail and again no porting until the last few inches. Im attempting a bolt action rifle based on a spyder and even a 20" jj doesnt fill the stock out right. The tiller 23.6" on ebay looks crappy and the barrels has some aluminum shaved off the main piece of the barrel making it look goofy(think stretched hour glass)

Before you give me the "A barrel that long is useless dont waste time/money/whatever" thing, i know this, i just need it fit the look im after. As long as i can get the marker to chrono over 250 i dont care how gas ineficient it is its not going to get used every time i play. Re-springing and/or valve work isn't an issue. I also would like to stay away from barrel adapters/extensions.

I will be looking to commision these barrels after christmas when i should have the money but I need to know if its possible and who to contact. I know I have seen a pic of a 4-6' or so ion barrel on the old mcb but cant remember if it was brass or aluminum nor where it came from.

Any information would be awsome.

Oh yea, heres a very rough idea for the vm im going to build(my stuff is in red), note how much longer the barrel is in that overlay. Its going to be 85% a wall piece with those accesories/barrel (unless it rocks) but that machine will get alot of use with a standard barrel and what not. I have just always wanted a big, heavy and unweildly long rifle to chase people down with. I am actualy a rather big dude weighing in at 270 and 6'2.5" and know i can handle it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my vm overlay small.JPG (36.5 KB, 39 views)
Finished before you can commit a crime

Last edited by DarkNinja; 08-21-2006 at 06:23 AM.
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Found the picture with the monster ion barrel in my "My Documents" folder.

Thinking about this i have an idea i like alot more if it would work. If someone could machine the tip of an existing barrel to take a SP AA tip that would be perfect. As long as the barrels inner diameter is smaller than the freak tip it should work right? Well SP or Dye or whatever tip. That would be nice since i could put a flaspoint tip on or a longer tip or even integrate a rain cover onto a tip so i could add or remove it at will.

I know Doc makes freak backs but from what I know he takes forever since he gets alot of requests, would any one else be able to do it?

Anyway, im just rambling now. Though I would really like a monster gun just because i think they are cool if its not feasible or its extremely expensive then I'll try something else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ionbbl.jpg (41.3 KB, 324 views)
Old 08-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

The last pic you provided is of ARMY Dave he runs a local PB shop here in Spokane and was biulding a M60 replica out of a Ion. I was actually there when that pic was taken. He had that barrel made by CMI...you may want to give them a call and find out the details. I also saw the sales reciept and that barrel only cost him around $60.00.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Looks like he has an inadequacy issue

EL Gringo's Feedback
Buy my Black Phoon
El Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Awsome, thats exactly what i needed thank you very much. It is aluminum right? What was the outer diameter and bore size? Did the bore seem smoth or did it need some polishing? If you dont know dont worry about it I'll just ask cmi what they can do when i call them..

That thing has to be 5' long..... $60? How much was the shipping on that thing???

$60'ish will definatly be in my price range once i get around to it. Im only looking for 1/3-1/2 of that to fit the look im after.

Most likely i will be giving it a spray of flat black untill i get the whole thing completed and ill have the whole lot anodized dust black.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

I seem to remember it was just a extrusion...so yes it needed a polish but should have shot a PB jusut fine.

I remember seeing the sales receipt and thinking dear god that has to be just the cost of materials. But when you think about it all CMI had to do was crown it and add the Ion threading.

OD and ID seemed to be standard...I didnt have a caliper or mic on me so I couldnt tell ya.

Hit up CMI and see what they say.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions