mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 12-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Baller

Existential Crisis About Electros!

Hi everyone!

Last night I woke up in a cold sweat thinking about all my favourite electronic markers as I realized that eventually they're just going to be expensive paperweights. I dont mean through misuse or neglect, just that in 20 years, maybe less, the electrical components themselves will fail due to age. Capacitors will blow, corrosive materials will leak, solenoids will burn out... Ugh.

I suppose it's theoretically possible to continually search for new, compatible components to slap on, and get a computer technician to repair things as they break, re-solder connections, replace components and (God forbid) reprogram boards if the memory gets lost or damaged - but really - this wont be practical. In reality, all my (our) electros will eventually die no matter how well we care for them.

The Karnivor, I can mech. Thats not a problem. Its upsetting that it'll eventually die as an electropneumatic domination machine, but im pretty confident that I can make a bad *** mech karni that gives electros a run for their money any day - even in the future. So Im ok with that.

The invert mini I dont care about. Its basically a paperweight right now anyway lol.

But what really irks me is that my beloved bob long intimidators will eventually just be non-functional eye candy. They'll b one of those dinosaurs hung in my own personal paintball museum that only live through videos and pictures and stories from geezers like me talking about how back in my day blah blah blah.

Then I realized that Bob Long Timmys function on a platform that a lot of other markers use too.. Ego's, angels and macdev's just to name a few. Also, the operation is fairly simple.. Air goes to the back of the ram sleeve, *blap*, air goes to the front of the ram sleeve.

Has anyone given any thought to mechanizing a bob long intimidator/angel/ego/macdev style marker? Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but it seems like one of those things that's totally attainable if the right people become involved. It also seems like once someone cracks how to make a mechanical switch that controls air flow, all we'll need is a way to hook it up to the various way these markers distribute air to the ram (ie: hosing/milled channels) which (I assume) is totally doable.

Or maybe Im just being a naive optimist... Anyone?

And here's some pics of my gats to get ppl looking at the thread

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsGunShow View Post
Has anyone given any thought to mechanizing a bob long intimidator/ style marker?
Sure, it's called a Spyder.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiX View Post
Sure, it's called a Spyder.
Lol nonono... I dont want any springs... Im thinking more like a custom gripframe with its own pneus (e.g. a 3 way of some sort) that can be hooked up to the existing air lines in ram driven poppet that would otherwise be controlled by a solenoid.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsGunShow View Post
Lol nonono... I dont want any springs... Im thinking more like a custom gripframe with its own pneus (e.g. a 3 way of some sort) that can be hooked up to the existing air lines in ram driven poppet that would otherwise be controlled by a solenoid.

Ah. Search for the "pulse valve". I think one of our Yoda's (Y0da?) messed with one for a while. The idea being that you need to control the air to the poppet ram faster and more accurately than with your finger, hence a valve that opens for a defined pulse and is reset.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is Scenario Dreams still making their universal T board? If you have the soldering skill I think that could work in some of your guns. I like your idea; I've been looking for boards to go in my ego 7 and there's not a lot of options if the stock board craps out. Which sucks because it's an awesome gun and the rest of the components are good.
drewkroeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Harbinger the void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Ah. Search for the "pulse valve". I think one of our Yoda's (Y0da?) messed with one for a while. The idea being that you need to control the air to the poppet ram faster and more accurately than with your finger, hence a valve that opens for a defined pulse and is reset.
Maybe there's a simple way. The v6 (led) angel used an oring that engaged the back of the ram. It gripped the back of the ram until the pressure was high enough then snapped forward to smack the valve. Effectively this means the gun could be run with a pneumatic trigger.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just about any after market board now a days has adjustable dwell times for the valve and for the pause between shots. So they could be adjusted to run other makers than what they were made for as long as you can fit it in the grip. Solenoids are used in automation and most paintball solenoids are off the shelf so I don't foresee a shortage there. Rams can be rebuilt or replaced with off the shelf rams by many different manufactures like Bimba. The reality is that the internals will wear through their ano before a board dies of old age.

Yes, you could make any ram/poppet valve gun run with just mechanical 3 way valves. However the cycle times would be slow. The trigger would control 2 3way valves. One 3way valve would control the ram. The other would shutoff air to the valve so you don't empty the tank while holding the trigger down. Kind of like an Automag, only not in line.

Unless its sentimental most players swap out for newer gear every couple of years so there are parts out there. Also, if you cant find it, MCB has many machinist here who could make custom parts.

Bottom line... Your electros don't have to die.
newmaticarsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Well, technically....

It's hard to find solenoids that will bolt on to old "shoebox" Shockers these days, and the original 'noids for the old PVIs simply don't exist anymore- and haven't for over a decade.

And it's not just electronics- it's getting hard to find E-Blade eyes, E-Blade solenoid gaskets, and until I started manufacturing them again, it was getting hard to find something as simple as the detents for Spyders and Intimidators.

The trigger-valve seal for Equalizers, those silver pellets found in Novas, the special 3-ways made for Reflex 'Cockers, the reg seals for Vigilantes and Messiahs... There's an endless list of parts that are no longer easily available.

The best an owner or collector can do is hoard a few key spares and try to store them carefully, but yes, there will come a time when that favorite old marker becomes useless because of one little thing.

Ask any SMG-60 owner who owns a perfectly functional marker but can't find paint for it. (Yes, I know Nelson makes some occasionally- I just bought some. But it's not commonly known, and not available anywhere but via mail-order straight from Nelson.)

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Baller

^this^.

I recently helped a friend rebuild his karnivor and I can confirm that there are some parts that are seriously hard to find / darn near impossible to find.

My Ripper 2 pictured above needed all-new electronics including the membrane pad. I was *this close* to getting a business partner to manufacture a new membrane pad out of very small mechanical switches, but the cost ended up being prohibitive so i decided to get in a bidding war on ebay and pay $80 for one. Then one of the wire harnesses turned out to be darn near impossible to find so I ended up having to use google translate to communicate with a retailer in Germany to have the part sent over.

Yes I could have waited for these pieces to come up in a parts lot, but I needed them now, not in 6 months to a year (with a whole lot of time invested too)

I cant just let them die. I have this weird compulsion to keep them running. I cant explain it, but i just think it would be so amazing to have heirloom paintball guns. Imagine some kid in 2117 getting gogged by a 2k5 Mech Timmy. Bad F***** A**.

Ive looked into the pulse valve a bit and its interesting. Dukie in one of the forums also had a neat idea to use a 4-way and a dump chamber set up.

Im going to need to look into this more and perhaps get my hand on a really rough, otherwise dead Timmy to do some Frankensteining...

I would still love to know if anyone has thought this through better than I have and/or maybe even built something like what im talking about...

Old 12-21-2016, 03:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

FWIW there are eblade eyes available online that are clearly being made new from off the shelf parts. I just restored an NXT that needed a new solenoid. Clearly there will be no working Nxts left in the foreseeable future.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions