mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Canadian to a fault

Tips/tricks for running a Relay on an Ion?

I've got parts for a mech Ion build coming and I like the look of the Relay setup on an Ion... aside from sending it to Mr. Peterson, does anyone have any experience with this mod?
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Here's my original build thread
I've done several since then
Building one is a real PITA, doing an electro is near impossible without a ton of tools and patience
I'd have Ed do it
Axe reg on Ion frame.Work in progress
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Canadian to a fault

The thing is, I'm not actually using a Relay, I'm going to use a stock Mini reg because that's what I have at hand... Ed doesn't do the conversion with those, and the cost to buy a Relay and send it to him to have it done grossly exceeds the value of this particular project.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

Old 03-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Are you running it mech as well or keeping it electro?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Canadian to a fault

Running it mech.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'd love to see a build. I've been wanting to do the same thing or use one of the old Spyder bottonline regs to run the macro up through the grip. Make it tidy.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Canadian to a fault

I've got an idea using what I have on hand, just looking to see what others are doing or have done.... I need the Ion in front of me first to see if what I want to do is feasible.

Last edited by Jordan; 03-21-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Canadian to a fault

Had another idea... I found my last piece of aluminum stock I have left from highschool machine ship and made an adapter to slide onto the reg.

I filed a dovetail around the perimeter of the block... it slides onto the reg and traps an o-ring that sits in the regular o-ring seat that a stock Mini transfer tube seals against. There's a very slight amount of play between the adapter and reg - the dovetail could've been a hair tighter but I don't think I'd have gotten it past the seal, it's a very snug fit sliding over the o-ring.

I'll test it with some shop air later this week and if it passes that test (110 - 120psi) I'll drill and tap for a pressure port and a setscrew... Anyone know what Ion fittings are threaded? I'm assuming they're 10-32.

EDIT: The fittings are 10-32.

Seems to have passed the leak test for now... I still want to do some other testing first before I commit to cutting up a frame and installing it, but I think it'll work.

I'm going to drill and tap for the fitting and once the mech kit shows up I'll mock it up outside of the frame to check functionality and for any leaks... hopefully in the next week or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0041.jpg (127.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0042.jpg (157.1 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Jordan; 03-24-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Very cool solution to your problem,looks promising
I've wanted to try using a Mini or the new style Relay reg on a future build myself as they're slightly more compact
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions