mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 09-16-2006, 11:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

Okay Dr. Jones
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thank ya folx.

I was playing with the idea of a lever, but I don't think that it would work with the trigger group. The 397's trigger is a big box...(If I looked, I'd find the pic that somebody else had done the same thing.) Besides, the stock pistol grip has a bit much drop to make a feel right....Oh well, not too worry, I bought an 8' board, so I gots plenty to play with

We'll see, I've got a few more ideas rolling around in the head....

Catchya on the Flip Side.....

Emerald Wolf -- Yeah, this as a stroker would be kewl at Castle....
Emerald Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranus View Post
Okay Dr. Jones
Lady only here because she humping director.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

You could go the simple route and make it bolt action. Youve also got that little whoptido on the top of the trigger on that 397 grouping, If you could figure out how to mount the 4 way, and use that to control it you'd have a nice stroker, plus to my knowlede a semi has not yet been built with a 397 trigger group.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
All teh pews

Send a message via AIM to SN toter

CCM Fan
Agreed, Bolt action would be easiest and it would add to the coolness factor. Nice job so far btw
Need something anodized? HMU on our team forums above.
SN toter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ray View Post
You could go the simple route and make it bolt action. Youve also got that little whoptido on the top of the trigger on that 397 grouping, If you could figure out how to mount the 4 way, and use that to control it you'd have a nice stroker, plus to my knowlede a semi has not yet been built with a 397 trigger group.

Way ahead of ya there on using the bolt safety to run a 4 way. The problem with that is there isn't enough travel the way the sear is set up....(I'm thinking that if I made part of the sear thicker it would disengage the sear sooner and possibly free up some trigger travel...)

I've been thinking about going PA...Maybe a button on the forend tip....

I tell you though, the 397 trigger works great, and if you use a longer gun it's an "easy" mod...(besides, 397 stocks and triggers are a lot easier and cheaper to come by than older Blue/Silver streaks....)

Emerald Wolf -- thanx for the compliments, and yeah, bolt is the current "good idea"
Old 09-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

I really like the way that came out! Cedar has a great color and lasts really well too.

Nice job with the woodworking in particular- very cool results for the whole thing. How long did it take you to carve the stock?

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well the carving prolly took around 8-10 hours...I've yet only started sanding it....I got a little overzelous with a chisel and didn't cut the tube groove quite like I'd want it, so I'm currently bedding it with wood filler....

I definitely learned a few things that I'll try differently on the next one. I kinda wished that I'd taken some pix as I went....Unlike Yeo's recent pirate stock that looks like he'd roughed it with a band saw, I literally "whittled" mine. I drew it out on the board, then cut some "control breaks" with a handsaw. Then I went to town on it with a draw knife (think of a samurai sword with handles on both ends). After getting it roughed with the knife, out came surf-forms and chisels. On the next one, I'm going to do much the same until I get to inletting the reciever. First off, I'm going to use larger drill bits to rough the slot, and finish it a bit with some riffler files.

Yeah, the cedar looks better than even I thought it would. The only bad thing about cedar is it has a tendency to crack. This stock has a few small ones in the butt end of the stock. (fairly minor though)...I get some practice under my belt, and you might see a feather crotch walnut KP someday... (Feather Crotch has "fire feathers" in the grain, it is beautiful wood)

Emerald Wolf --
Old 09-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Quote:
I've been thinking about going PA...Maybe a button on the forend tip....
NOW THATS A GOOD IDEA.......may have to do that on one of my projects......if I ever get around to compleating the gobs of them that are In line before I start anymore.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ray View Post
NOW THATS A GOOD IDEA.......may have to do that on one of my projects......if I ever get around to compleating the gobs of them that are In line before I start anymore.

Yeah, been there and done that with the inability to "get 'round to it"... But this I've been slowly playing with...I'd been kinda thinking about a brass forend tip that had a little plunger to a 4 way to work everything...(seeing as how I had to ditch the pump handle to keep the stock sturdy...) I also got to look at things yesterday and noticed a bunch of wasted travel in the trigger to sear, so maybe a "Hurricane" styled conversion would be possible....It's just a matter of getting the timing right....(Which in my case isn't as sensitive as those 13 bps paint hoses that some folx are always tweedling the timing on...)

Emerald Wolf -- has parts and ideas (watch out)

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions