mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Sterling l.p mod

After people asking me how I done it. And me not having time to pursue to market it. Here you go.The list of parts you can get from Palmers Pursuit,Maddman Springs,Arrow Precision and Akalmp. Also, attached is pictures of the parts.You'll need a high flow valve guide from arrow or mod your own. A shaved dyna valve from palmers.Spring kit from maddman they made for my chapter.Last a yellow valve spring or a soft cocker valve from aka.Notice that you'll need a l.p reg,I use gen-x2 .Replace you main spring with replacement spring,you'll have to see which one your gun likes.Replace valve guide,valve and spring with the l.p parts.You'll need a crono to see what your gun is shooting.I have mine @ 400psi op preasure and shooting 275fps.I'm using a blue main spring.If your sterling don't have a adjustable hammer get the part to make it adjustable or use a adjustable bolt or shims to get it up to speed.It may require to adjust the input up a little.But, the max is 450psi.http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n/DCAM0192.jpghttp://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n/DCAM0194.jpghttp://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/paintballmarshaltn/DCAM0193.jpg http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n/DCAM0195.jpg

Last edited by paintballmarshaltn; 09-27-2006 at 12:07 PM.
paintballmarshaltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Dead links
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n/DCAM0193.jpg

ii41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/paintballmarshaltn/DCAM0195.jpg

The last two work fine in his post. Just a case of double http.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fixed!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Sorry, but I think that the valve body what you show is obsolete waste - valve bodies in this style have to much space for unintendet expansion inside. They are quite unefficient from my experiences. The only reason for this design is reduce the production/assembly costs. A lot better are valve bodys in late autococker style, with only one big opening on diameter.

And I do not know what for Sterling model do you have, but from my point of view Sterlings are not too great on LP, because they have only limited flow holes in frame from the valve to the bolt. It is similar as in case of many Sheridans, but there it is not so dramatical, but even there is it not so easy reparable as in cas Sheridans.

That what you do is imho only minor - but not irrelevant - improvement of gas flow what is possible make only with easy modification of stock parts. In a little bit, without uncomon tools and investment of some $$$... it is bassicaly that same work what make many Spyder users. I see here not big difference and nothing especial, to be honest.
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well 3022, that's YOUR opinion.How come you jig on other people's idea.Anyway, The model I have is a factory prototype before the newest models that came out last month.The reason why, I came up with this idea.Was to shoot more fragile paint,to quite the gun more.When playing against the monkies with machine guns.They get upset when they get put out with a pump gun.I had enough with wipeing and bounces.So, I came up with a lower preasure to shoot more fragile paint.Less bounces,well after a.t.ing the poor basterds to death.It also quites the gun down which I found helpfull in woods ball.As for expantion,I uses nitrogen on her.And it is ball-on-ball.Plus -minus about 2-3 fps on a crono.Yes, it uses more air .But I think it's worth it.Also I noticed the airport in the body is slightly larger then my older proline. Speaking of proline the one I received from s.b is more suited for co2 the my newer.It has the one hole valve guide and smallier i.d for the valve houseing.Also, 3022 the sterling were made to be used with nitrogen,but if the owner didn't have that.They recommend useing a diptube on the co2 tank.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Interesting. The +/- 2-3 fps consistency do not constern me much, because from my experiences, the consistency depends mainly on paint. With really good paint (RPS Marbalizers, Zap Chronic 420 Gold), I can have +/- 3 fps consistency even on uregulated gas CO2 (bottomline with 12oz antisiphoned bottle) or liquid CO2 (9oz siphoned backbottle setup) with my Sterlings Bronze. I think that this is damm good, but surprisingly, my Pal with light modified (valve work, lightened bolt and hammer, polished internals, 14" JJ Ceramic barrel, 12oz antisiphoned bottle) Spyder Victor II can have +/- 2 fps consistency with slow-rate fire - yes - he has better consistency with his low-end semi than I with my pumps... I do not know why, but it is so. So, the LP is really nothing wonderful for consistency... when you have not 13+ bps electro...

And I really do not think that the Sterlings were made to be used with nitrogen. I think that the first Sterlings were made to be used on liquid CO2 (which is nearly contraposition). But they can work very well even on gas CO2 or on HPA, what is great.

And I have appraised the flow holes according to the first production run, Spyder threated, Sterlings Bronze with rightfeed. For the N2/HPA are in every case optimal larger ports, not smaller than for CO2.

I simply only think, that Sterling is not much good for really Low Pressure and that the valve body what you have showed is not worth as aftermarket part. That are only my throughts, but they are substantiated with some direct experiences with Sterlings and other markers.

Last edited by 3022; 09-27-2006 at 06:55 PM.
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Stainlessbutcher

I found that the Lada Sterling I sold to you always was very consistent with a non modified 9 oz tippmann tank....believe it or not. It didn't work as well with a 12 or 20 oz and I never could quite get the mileage out of a 7 oz that I could stomach, so the 9 oz steel tank worked best for me. Heck, it's the same tanks I use on my Snipers with Air America Uni Regs on em...(NOOOOOO...not Co2 thru Uni-regs)...yes, I put liquid Co2 thru unis...and it works just fine.

Butcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballmarshaltn View Post
Well 3022, that's YOUR opinion.How come you jig on other people's idea.Anyway, The model I have is a factory prototype before the newest models that came out last month.The reason why, I came up with this idea.Was to shoot more fragile paint,to quite the gun more.When playing against the monkies with machine guns.They get upset when they get put out with a pump gun.I had enough with wipeing and bounces.So, I came up with a lower preasure to shoot more fragile paint.Less bounces,well after a.t.ing the poor basterds to death.It also quites the gun down which I found helpfull in woods ball.As for expantion,I uses nitrogen on her.And it is ball-on-ball.Plus -minus about 2-3 fps on a crono.Yes, it uses more air .But I think it's worth it.Also I noticed the airport in the body is slightly larger then my older proline. Speaking of proline the one I received from s.b is more suited for co2 the my newer.It has the one hole valve guide and smallier i.d for the valve houseing.Also, 3022 the sterling were made to be used with nitrogen,but if the owner didn't have that.They recommend useing a diptube on the co2 tank.
Stainlessbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah Butch, I noticed it after I tore her apart.Shes' at gruntbull getting a redo to the anno. I'll post a side by side of the valve guide.She looks like she would be co2 friendly from what I noticed from the valve guide and asa.The other guys in the chapter had spike with theirs with co2.Keith,<teammate> borrowed my gun @ a 24 hour game.He noticed my gun shot flatter on nitro and the mod done.He was using a barrel system too.So it may be dealing with the older lada/proline guns.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions