|Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!|
| ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|06-15-2008, 10:44 AM||#1 (permalink)|
How small can a paintball gun get?
I'm sitting here waiting for my Pug to come back from PPS and watching Wild West Tech on History Channel. Got me to thinking, would a Derringer single shot paintball gun be possible?
I was thinking a 12 gram in the lower tube and the top tube acting as the barrel. It could be muzzle loaded by pushing a ball down the barrel with your finger.
If I was to use a PGP for a base, anyone know what the minimum length I am looking at?
Edit - The above was my original post, then it became the build off, down below is the rules.
How small can you make a paintball gun?
Rules are posted below:
1. This contest will take place between July 1st to September 30th.
2. All entries must be posted by the 30th of September giving the entrants 3 months from the build-start date to complete their project.
3. Photos of completed work should be taken with a ruler or yardstick to show length of marker.
4. Five judges will be selected on the 1st of September from a voluntary pool.
5. There will be two categories of entries which will be chosen based on size: (Multi shot) and (1 shot reservoir style). An "Overall favorite" will be chosen from both categories based on Creativity, Quality of Workmanship, Style, Cohesiveness, and Functionality. Please remember to inform us of what category you are entering when you post your final work. Entries without a declaration of category will be disqualified from the competition.
6. Gun must be able to shoot a .68 cal paintball at usable and safe velocity (210fps-300fps), completed work should include velocity measurements to verify that it is both usable and safe.
Last edited by sloonan; 07-06-2008 at 01:29 PM.
|06-15-2008, 10:48 AM||#2 (permalink)|
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dracut MA
using the pgp's valve with a 12g in front pretty much gives you the length of a pgp as the minimum - there's not really any wasted space in the bottom tube.
"We are men of action, Lies do not become us."
My other passion: http://www.cameroncanine.com
|06-15-2008, 11:03 AM||#3 (permalink)|
I Am The Admin
This would be a great idea for a build off or two..
Build the "smallest" gun possible... and one to build the "lightest" gun.
|06-15-2008, 11:04 AM||#4 (permalink)|
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
The pocket phantoms could possible have been made smaller but they were very small already.
I dont have any pics, but the one at SPE I saw could have fit in my hand and not be noticable.
|06-15-2008, 01:19 PM||#7 (permalink)|
Its a sport of honor.
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bay Area
One the guys on my team has taken a Trracer, taken off the grip and sight rail, no pump and only one bolt, and cut the barrel to one and one half inches.
Bolt action sleeve gun!
Deputy Sheriff/Death Investigator.
My day begins when yours ends.
|06-15-2008, 01:21 PM||#8 (permalink)|
Ghost with the most
I suppose the smallest marker you could make would be taking a micro Phantom, removing the stock feed so you had to load 1 ball at a time through the feed port, cutting the barrel down so it's flush with the short pump handle and removing the grip and just holding it by the body. That'd be pretty tiny.
|06-15-2008, 03:01 PM||#9 (permalink)|
Join Date: Sep 2006
I don't know much about electronic paintball markers... But if you used something like an MQ valve wouldn't that negate the need for most of the bottom tube? Assuming it's single shot anyway, you don't really need a "bolt" you could rig up a hatch or something. Top tube would be barrel-breach-valve in line, bottom tube would be only the 12g, and the grip only has to be big enough to hold a 9v and board (which you should be able to shrink down considering it's intended purpose) Am I way off base here?
|06-15-2008, 03:06 PM||#10 (permalink)|
a tube containing a nelson valve/powertube, side cocking, 12g in grip. that's maybe 4 inches before barrel. no bolt, just a diffuser in front of the powertube.
better yet, use a internal chamber and a check valve. cock it, gas it up, remove the airsource. Load 1 round.
I wonder how big of a chamber would be needed to hold 1 shot?
Last edited by melkson; 06-15-2008 at 03:12 PM.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|