mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 04-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to Snyiper Send a message via Yahoo to Snyiper

Sterling Mod questions

Ok first off the hole that seals to the rail, I assume it is there toi drill the upper tube during manufacture. Can this be sealed with JB weld or similar to eliminate the need for the oring? Ok along the same lines my valve in the sterling has one outlet hole and no groove running around it is clocked towards the bottom of the tube as opposed to the top where the hole to the bolt is. Can I or should I groove the valve or drill a second hole in the right location is there another valve available? Any Ideas?
Glenn

Players "Play the game with Honor and Dignity or just wipe cause you suck"
Snyiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cheffer

I sealed the little hole with jbweld. Was fine until I gassed up the valve without something backing the dam, the pressure shot it across the room.

Weird about your valve, all the sterlings I've had have at least had a groove running around, and several have had four holes drilled into it, instead of just one.

I don't see why drilling a second hole in the valve would mess it up, unless you drill it badly.
jhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

My previous Sterlings had multiple holes as well. I think unless someone points out why not Ill drill a couple more and connect with a groove albeit a small one. I will either use JB weld or marine tex to seal the lil hole.

Old 04-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

Why not just tap and put a loctited set screw in the little hole? Seems to me like that would be a much better solution than whitetrash-weld.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cheffer

You'd need some pretty tight threads, the is only about 1/6inch thickness to work with down there.

If I was making a sterling from scratch (which I would, if I had the means) I would drill from the top and use the hole above the bolt to screw on a site rail or something (or maybe the mounting screw for a stock class feed).

I really wish I had the means to make my own sterling from scratch, I really have fallen in love with my sterling, and I maybe like it more than nelson valved guns now.

If you do go the JBWeld route, make sure, before it is dry, to wet your finger and smooth the inside to flush with the inside lower body tube, then maybe hit it with some very fine sand paper or polish. It would be bad to be snagging o-rings every time you inserted your valve.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

You have Bronze valve. One hole instead of four. You should be able to screw it all the way into the valve body and it'll line up. Unless you've purchased an aftermarket or STP valve body. In any case, the new STP valves will fit your gun just fine, and they can be purchased from Mark Ambrose or anyone else who stocks Sterling parts.

Please do not JB weld your gun. I've bought and/or fixed guns with JB weld on them and it's a horrible thing to do to a gun. Live with the o-ring, or tap the hole. Besides i'm not sure if JB would stand up to the pressure...
Old 04-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cheffer

The bronze valve should have the groove around the outside, Glenn's seems to be different than that. Drilling an extra hole on the top should be pretty easy, especially if you have a drill press to do it with.

The jbweld works just fine if you're careful putting it in, and as long as you have something backing it on the rail it is fine with the pressure.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I purchased a aftermarket valve body with the asa docked and side outlet. The valve looks like a bronze but I dont know the history of the gun. Valve spring seems to be too stiff and has been cut. The actual cup seal stem (proper term?) that the hammer hits appears to be brass with a smaller steel tip that contacts the hammer, the cup seal appears to be brass on Brass with no rubber in between isnt this like the old vm's? The stem is not tapered and the valve has no groove and only 1 hole could be a bronze as you say. The barrel appears to be all aluminum and the bolt has no set screw for the pump rod as well as automag Grips with one hole and provisions for a bottomline.
The gun overall is in good shape just some mismatched parts it seems. The trigger has a awful amount of pickup it comes 2/3 back before the sear starts to engauge the hammer. But it does shoot.... just getting my ducks in a row to make it right...perhaps a STP valve if I can find one. Then perhaps the right cup seal assy and do something about the loooong pull trigger. For now I will not drill my valve or attempt to groove it nor will I use the JB weld as I dislike it as well. I think tapping the hole is out, Ill figure out what o-ring works and get some. I emailed Mark earlier this week for some prices and he was quick to get back telling me he is going to price stuff out but nothing since Looking like the Sterling support of the past somewhat....Ill give him more time before I put him in the same box as the previous dist. Thanks for you support on this and reading my rant of the week!!!

Old 04-14-2006, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I just bought a pickup assembly from Mark Ambrose. His communications were excellent, and I would not hesitate to order from him again....

Walker
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

My experiences with him were good, as well.

Does your gun have a round pump handle? Or is it sqared-off somewhat?

As far as your valve goes, it seems like you have an older (possibly proline) model. The original valve in my Sterling (proline) is solid brass with one drilled hole. No grooves. I had the same problem you did with the side-tap valve bodies. They were made to be used with a new STP valve, which has a large groove and 4 holes running all the way around it. No problems with alignment once you get one of those in there, I know from personal experience!

My cup seal was the same too, mostly bass with a small brownish plastic/rubber insert. The new ones are more of a "standard" cup seal style - with the large black plastic seal.

All the parts should fit just fine. Give Mark a little time - he's probably swamped with the new models coming out...

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions