mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Indeed, even if it weighs 300 lbs, get a couple of buddies to come help you move that thing and pay them in beer . definately dont get something you can pick up without a problem, they are not rigid enough and wont cut what you want, i had a small unimat my friend gave me and i couldnt even take a 10thou pass on alum! sold that thing right away! just keep in mind when moving the lathe (if you get a heavy multi-person mover) dont use chains only use straps (as to not damage the ways or any of the precision ground surfaces) and use good ones so that they dont snap in the middle of moving the thing and you drop it down the stairs!. (oh yea and moving dollies are your friend when you are moving a heavy lathe!)
OverKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

pretty limited as far as use on paintball guns. i bought the larger 3-jaw chuck with a 7/8" bore through spindle and the barrels i've tried don't fit through it. i haven't done any threading on it because of having to change the gears around. that's a PITA. i've mainly used it for drilling/tapping RVA's, boring out valve bodies and bolts(all Sheridan stuff), and a few other odds and ends. it has worked good for that stuff but it's all small stuff. a bigger more rigid lathe will be a smarter choice IMO but if your set on getting a 7'' mini lathe, i'd go with the micro-mark. it does provide some paintball related use but not as much as your probably expecting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Stainlessbutcher

I scored this behemoth at an antique mall for 50 bucks complete with the original three jaw chuck, a brand new self centering 3 jaw chuck, and the 4 jaw you see here. It's a 1935 Atlas Craftsman 12x39 or so....definitely 12 inches of throat, didn't measure the length.

Owner-Twisted Cycles
Fort Worth TX
Stainlessbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by c6quad View Post
pretty limited as far as use on paintball guns. i bought the larger 3-jaw chuck with a 7/8" bore through spindle and the barrels i've tried don't fit through it. i haven't done any threading on it because of having to change the gears around. that's a PITA. i've mainly used it for drilling/tapping RVA's, boring out valve bodies and bolts(all Sheridan stuff), and a few other odds and ends. it has worked good for that stuff but it's all small stuff. a bigger more rigid lathe will be a smarter choice IMO but if your set on getting a 7'' mini lathe, i'd go with the micro-mark. it does provide some paintball related use but not as much as your probably expecting.
Thanks for the info. You just talked me out of a 7"
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Frink, get the bigger paintball sized machine. Then take it apart and hump the parts down to the final spot with the help of some friends. Some planking for a ramp, two to push from below to retard the descent and one from above using a rope and you can eaily move a 300 lb single part down and even up the stairs. You just gotta think like an old Egyptian pyramid builder moving a stone block... But seriously when you break it down into the basic parts none of them are that unwieldy. Even with a 400 to 450 lb lathe by the time you break it down to the motor, headstock, tail stock, carraige and bed the bed will only be around 150 lbs. And that should be quite easily managable. And it's not that hard to break it down to this extent at all.

So don't skimp. Buy the right machine now and just put in the extra two days of effort to break it down for moving into the basement. One day or less to disassemble and move down and the second to put it back together and align the parts. With a dial guage it's not hard to do that either. And if the headstock uses locating pins or sits on the ground angles of the bed then alignment is a no brainer with no testing needed.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Good Points.

Ok, so now this is a "What Lathe Is Ideal" thread
Old 07-24-2008, 01:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

I wouldn't go ANY smaller than this for paintball sized projects.

Busy Bee Tools Item Detail

A far better machine that'll be with you for a lifetime would be something like...
G0602 10" x 22" Bench Top Metal Lathe or
G9972Z 11" x 26" Bench Lathe w/ Gearbox

I've seen the 10x22 in person at KMS tools here in Coquitlam and it's a sweetie. But they only had one and it was on sale and appears to be gone now since it's not on the website anymore. It was there long enough that I'm not sure they want to bring in another one.

Or would this be too far over the top? The 24 inch C-C size keeps it down both in size and weight but this is a really nice solid machine in all the right places. The sort of thing that'll make you grin when you try something you think is too big and it chews it up and spits it back to you all done with no fuss or muss. And really the last 12 inches of my own 12 x 36 is mostly used just to park the tail stock. With this one you MAY need to cantilever the tail stock a 1/3 of the way off the end of the bed for larger pieces requireing the extra support but that would be rare for the vast majority of paint ball work.

Busy Bee Tools Item Detail
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I just got a response back from a guy who's selling that 10x18 locally It's got around 50 hours on it, he's asking $650 and he's got what he claims is $350 worth of tools he wants offers on. I'll see how low he will go, but it could be an option.

If not I'll look into that 10x22.

Given that this will be in my basement for full 2-3 years minimum, the diss-assembly/re-assembly option seems to be the way to go.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

As for moving it, a few tips I've learned moving into stuff from a second-story bedroom, and more stuff into a second-story apartment...

Don't trust straps for really big things. If it's large enough, use chains, but wrap them thickly in leather or put some thick rubber pads between them and the part.

If you have to move it downstairs and you can manage it, lay boards on the stairs or secure the piece to a smooth skid. Then attach a winch of some sort to a sturdy mount--a strong ladder or exceptionally stout board across a doorway may work. Then slowly winch it down.

Those larger machines, you may be able to disassemble and move a couple of the parts down on a dolley, but in my case putting the ways on a handtruck would turn it into a catapult. So it may be easier to move it all in one piece.

As for the actual machines, barring the one you get a really good deal on or a decent South Bend, the ones Railgun mentioned would probably be your best bets.
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback
Moriearty Hobby Supply on eBay and Facebook.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

I have

I have a 10x22 just like that one. It is a 4 person job to move it downstairs. Around 450 lbs. Good machine though
Visit my new group page at http://www.facebook.com/JonesGunWorks#!/JonesGunWorks
http://www.youtube.com/user/Legion99999?feature=mhee
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions