mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

That's not a bad thought about finding a winch setup. Actually for going down you could also use the old ship trick of setting up a big round pipe or something but mounted in a way that won't let it spin and then put 2 or 3 turns of a rope around it. The friction of the turns around some 4 inch metal pipe or 6 inch rounded wood beam will help you with lowering the bigger parts like the bed even for a heavy lathe. A hunk of 4x4 with the corners shaved off so it's an octagonal shape would work excellent. Or 4 layers of 2x6 nailed together and the corners taken off to form an octagonal where the rope wraps it. If you used the interlocking layers at the ends to add in some extra bits it would form a nice H pattern so it wouldn't spin and the rope would wrap around the cross piece in the middle of the H. Of course how well all this will work depends on the door and stairs layout but hopefully you're getting some ideas. With the sort of control you'll have with a release rope like that the helper at the machine will only need to steady it on the planks to avoid it tipping.

And yeah, use something sized suitably. Something like 1/2 inch from a boat store. Poly rope from the hardware store will be too slippery. Trying to get it to tie and hold knots is a pain and it slips through the hand too easily and may not grip the wood of the "winch" well enough. Winching it back up will require a different setup but for getting it down this sort of rope around the wood will easily provide you the friction braking you need to control it.

For SURE I would not even THINK of using a hand truck with the usual bumping down each step. Far too much risk of it getting away from you even with helpers.

That used one sounds like a real good deal. Around here used machine tools are rare enough that when they do come up for sale they pull in high figures from the slavering audience that are always on the lookout for them. Given good condition they don't drop more than 25% even after the first 5 or 6 years.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
here you go

Metal Lathe - Calgary Tools & Hardware For Sale - Kijiji Calgary
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
That's the one I'm negotiating for

He'll do $750 with all the tooling. I'm going to take a look at it on Monday.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

Unless he's crashed stuff into the bed or cross slide or dropped it so it looks like a pretzel I would say this is a damn fine deal if he's supplying it with that other $350. I would take cash with you and load it up quick before someone comes along and starts up a bidding war. Look hurt when he's looking at you like it's highway robbery and do a touchdown victory dance when you get it home because this IS a steal for the lathe and $350 worth of accessories.

If you're one of the sort of folks to finally get it set up and then say to yourself "now what...... ?" then borrow a copy from the library or buy a copy of Sparey's "The Amatuer's Lathe". It's pretty much a bible for home machinists using this size of machine. It's dated but then so are the time honored skills of the machinist's trade before all this modern uppity CNC crap came along....

If it doesn't come with them you will want a 4 jaw independent chuck and a dial guage pronto. Much work involves centering already shaped objects so that mods or further work can be done on them. 3 jaw chucks are not accurate enough for this. You need to sharpen your chops at using the 4 jaw and dial guage for centering stuff.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I'm definintely taking cash with me, but the problem is loading it into my pickup truck. I have to find a couple of friends that can come with me.

Thanks for the book advice, I've been searching around for recommended machinists books, I'm the sort that likes to do a lot of reading up on this sort of thing.

This is the summary of what it's coming with:

1- set of 5 cutters
1- set of 3 boring bars
1- 5/8 chuck and M2 taper for the tail stock
1- dial gauge and magnetic base
1- 4 jaw chuck (never used)

Edit: Also comes with a matching bench stand.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Sounds like a decent deal to me! Just remember to bring a bud to help move it! I was a little embarassed when I showed up in Bellingham and had to get the seller (guy in his mid 60s) to help me wedge the thing into my little Toyota...

Last edited by russc; 07-25-2008 at 06:29 PM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
lol, see I told you could find one in the buy and sell.

I picked up mine for $500, its a busy bee 13x39 ( i think, at least somewhere around there). Came with a 3 and 4 jaw, face plate or backing plate for mounting oddball stuff directly, 2 and 3 point steady rests, rollling stand, cutters, quick change cutter mount and standard.

loaded it on a half ton with the base on with an engine lift ( you can rent them at canadian tire if you don't have one)
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:56 AM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Tesko Send a message via MSN to Tesko

Damn Frink, youve got a local machinist buddy and you mention none of this to me, err him?

Harsh.

With that said, I can give you a hand for loading, but I do work afternoon shift mon-fri. Ive been trying to get one for the past couple months locally, decided id say screw it with the micro lathes. If you haven't heard/realized, princess auto, busybee, and that like, generally suck .

Ive settled on getting a used, older, larger lathe, now just need to find the right one!

For everything Cocker & Sniper Related and then some - Custom Cockers
Tesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #29 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
lol, stay away from my listing!

Nope, no machinist buddy for Frink, just a random ad. I can definitely make lathe time available for you until you find one.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've got a copy of the old Hercus Textbook of Turning in PDF format. I can e-mail you a copy if you want, it's 3.2MB.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions