mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 04-18-2006, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

Recocking for semi PGP problems...

Alright, I "think" I know what is wrong but I want your opinion. Keep in mind I am using stock springs. I can get the marker to extend the ram, roughly 1/8-1/16 of an inch too short for the sear to catch. The sear was trimmed down so it fires about mid-pull. I can get it to completely recock, BUT the pressure in the bomb 4-way I am using makes it stick, and thus the trigger plate gets stuck in the pulled position. IF I pull/push it forward, the next shot fires.

I am using a rock LPR from a vertical CO2 bottle mount. I have never had this problem with a bomb 4-way. The spring for the trigger plate is just a stock one from my shop box.

I am thinking of mounting a small spring (think Tippmann sear spring) to the back of the bomb-4-way timing rod to help give it a little extra umph. It needs very very little extra pressure for it to cycle reliably, just enough so the trigger plate spring does not work.

Other that that it seems to be working great..... knock on wood.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

I ran into the same problem with my semi-pgp.

I reground a new sear with new angles and such and it cocks perfectly now. The problem is the relationship between the sear and the hammer...you just need to find the right angles to allow the hammer to cock smooth.

You should be able to run a minimal amount of pressure into the 4-way...the ram should be slightly gushy when done right.

What type of frame are you using?

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

I'm using an older potmetal WGP frame KP customs hooked me up with. Any chance you can provide a possible pic or easy diagram for how your angles look on the sear?

-Kris
Old 04-19-2006, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

I'm using a old Sovereign frame...I dont know how the relation between my sear and yours would be but, you may have to experiment.

I'll snap a few pics of my sear tommorrow for ya.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
Old 04-19-2006, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

Alright, thanks again Kidney, much appreciated.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
is in the left gate...

Send a message via AIM to jwigum

You might try

Take a look at how PPS does their sear height adjustment. It's a screw that's been tapped into the trigger.

If you're using a sliding trigger frame, that's obviously not going to work.

You may want to try switching to a hammer with an adjustable lug.
jwigum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

Well, for ease of the 4-way mounting and usabge I'm using a slider. I would use a hammer w/ sear lug But I don't think I can without some heavy modification to the hammer to allow the bolt to recock it.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

New ideas?

In looking at this problem I was writing to a friend, I wrote the following paragraph, I think it may be worth considering by others..
-----------
PGP semi conversions are senstive, temperamental creatures, the stiff spring and short compression of that spring make it hard for the ram to work right I think. If you look at a cockers light, long spring (compared to a PGP) and how far the hammer travels to engage the sear you will understand, they (cockers) spread the required force over a longer distance, so a lower force over a longer time does the same amount of work. We just have to get the sear adjusted to catch the hammer at the earliest possible time it has enough energy stored to get the right velocity, some valve/spring work may help also.
-----------
A pgp was never designed to be a ram driven device, and most people that pump a stock PGP will notice it gets harder at the end of the pump stroke where the hammer catches the sear.

So we can somehow get more travel out of the hammer, use a lighter spring, the end result is same hammer velocity at point of impact (valve). Or a more likely solution is to lighten the valve spring and make it flow better so the hammer doesnt have to hit it as hard.

Thoughts on this? Am I completely off my rocker? Anyone...Anyone....
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

I noticed that a slight forward angle on the catch portion of the sear allows less force when the sear is engaged. This only helps so much. With the velocity adjuster backed almost entirely out you'll notice that the ram will cock the hammer with minimal pressure. So your theory amount the closely looped spring rings true. A lighter main spring and added flow will allow you to decrease the amount of spring pressure to achieve the desired velocity.

Sear hieght and 4-way input pressure plays a very crucial roll in how your gun will time. Your gonna want a decently wide range of leeway when talking sear hight...and of course you'll want he minimal amount of 4-way pressure possible.

-Jake

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
Old 04-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
You could always find some way of legthening the hammer travel... maybe by extending that slot .0625?

Then you migt have to have teh rear plug shortened...

Just thinking out loud here

(sear mods sound best, just do a little at a time)
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions