mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
I am a Jackass

Send a message via AIM to 720datsun

Soldering on a nickel plated Sheridan

I have a nickel plated p68sc that has a loose nutsert. Can I solder it without discoloring the nickle plating? I only have a mapp gas turbo torch. Will that be too hot?

720datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

The main problem would'nt be damaging the nickle...which it might depending on how well you can control the flame and heat. The burnt flux and such will probably mess your finish up a bit also. I have removed parts from Nickle plated guns and it does'nt discolor anything. However, you will have some problems with chipping because you've essentially broken the nickle plate coat that is pretty uniform throughout the part.

The problem is going to be getting the solder to draw and stick properly. The reason being you are now trying to solder nickle to nickle. There may be a tiny bit of brass that was'nt coated because the nutsert was plated over while it was inserted but I forsee problems.

I would go the apoxy route. You can get some pretty strong stuff down at any auto parts store(1000-2000psi). I have a stripped fitting that I apoxied and it has lasted few years under 800+ psi...not to mention that it is a pump guide rod that gets beat around on regular basis.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

why don't you just replace the nutsert with a new one? there's no need to solder and you don't risk messing up the finish.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6quad View Post
why don't you just replace the nutsert with a new one? there's no need to solder and you don't risk messing up the finish.

If the old one is spinning in the tube or what not the hole is probably rounded out and wont accept a new one.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

The nutsert can be replaced there are three different kinds used Palmers usually uses the two piece wedge style. It is a somewhat easy fix with the right fittings and tools.

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
I am a Jackass

Send a message via AIM to 720datsun

The hole is still round, but it looks like somone soldered it in at some point before it was nickled. Thats why I was asking about resoldering it. The truck body shop I used to work at had a ton of nutserts and the tool to pop them in. We used them for installing marker lights on the roof of semi trucks. Maybe I will stop in and visit while Im there I will help myself to some.
720datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

^ or just ask them before helping yourself The nut sert is a Aluminum or tin or somthing, soldering it is not the right fix.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions