mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 10-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I bid on it, but to tell you the truth, I don't really like the KP3 stock at all. The shape is all wrong to me! I prefer the smoother lines of the KP2 and the slope-back trigger group itself (the KP3 one is very square with that flat rear cap). Since I have some trigger groups, I'd like to pick up a Blue Streak stock and refinish it in my stain or color of choice, and then send it in for a Nasty build.

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Chappy: "This is MCB, we don' task "why"."
Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shartley View Post
Just an FYI: You actually can powder coat wood. You can powder coat plastic as well. But both take a special process and care. I would not reccomend either though.
Hmm. I might just look that up. Sounds intesting. Something to file in the back of your head anyhow.
wespe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Thanks for the advice everyone.

For those of us uneducated on filling wood, what do you fill it with? Putty?

Also, for the lacquer and carnuba wax, any recommended brands or methods there? Thanks!

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
Old 10-30-2006, 10:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

Palmer powdercoated one of AL or Drums hurricane stocks a while back. He did some bondo work on it also...

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Wouldnt geocoat work? granted it would add a 1/6 of an inch to the thing, but it would be waterproof (they use this on the hulls of fiberglass and wood boats, (and bathtubs iirc)) Plus it could be waxed and buffed with ease
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDoctor15 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone.

For those of us uneducated on filling wood, what do you fill it with? Putty?

Also, for the lacquer and carnuba wax, any recommended brands or methods there? Thanks!
I personnally use bondo. Just a thin coat. Helps to remove the grain visible when painted. Make sure you seal the wood first though. Otherwise the bondo will start to peel away from the wood after a year or so. As far as a lacquer goes, a good, quality automotive lacquer like PPG or Dupont should do ya. Any brand of carnuba wax will work.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunrleft View Post
To get the "piano black" on wood: Sand, fill, sand, seal, sand, prime, sand, lacquer,sand,lacquer,steel wool,lacquer,steel wool, lacquer, 000 steel wool, lacquer,emery cloth, carnuba wax.

Sanding, start out with about 100 grit to 120 grit depending on how rough the stock is. Work your way up to 600 grit.

Hope this helps.
Hey nun,

Thanks for all the advice, it's very helpful. In your quote above ^, what do you prime with? Also, is the lacquer the 'seal' step you mentioned before adding Bondo? Any tips with working with Bondo? And where is the actual paint step? Is that the 'prime' you mentioned? When I think of primer, I think of the flat grey-colored auto primer.

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Old 10-31-2006, 01:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Primer is the grey or red automotive primer. Lacquer is a type of paint. Somewhat hard to work with, but gives the deepest color. Generally used for classic cars or hot rods as well as quality furniture. Sealer is a wood sealer. Working with bodo, read the directions on the can. Make sure you mix the hardener and putty correctly.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
So enamel paint is a no-go for this application?

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Old 10-31-2006, 06:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The hot setup for painting one of these stocks (caveat: not a piano-type finish) is to paint the stock in rocker-panel spray for cars. It gives a rubbery finish that will cover the grain, and if you apint it with semi-gloss krylon it will be easy to touch up.

One thing to remeber when working with wood is it moves, probably more than you think. Serious target rifles have avoided the classic wood stock for about 25 years. Laminates, billet aluminum channel stocks, tubular actions all take the vaiation out of wood. The swelling and shrinking that wood does will cause your painted finish to crack and chip.

If youre really serious, remove the riveted trigger guard, and glass the stock inside and out with a couple of layers of 4-0z glass cloth and epoxy resin. Sand and bondo. Sand and bondo. Sand and bondo. Sand and bond.

You can actually get a really glossy finish, but ask anybody whose good at autobody how many hours a project like this might take before paint. Probably 50 would be my guess.Then youre going to rattlecan it? Better see if an autobody place will shoot it for you to get that really smooth finish.
Point is, this can be a real time-suck of a project.
sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions