mcarterbrown.com

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 10-31-2006, 09:26 PM   #21 (permalink)

If you seal the wood properly you shouldn't get expansion and contraction of the wood. You could use an enamel, but you stated you wanted a "piano" finish. You'll only get that with lacquer. Sniperfan is right through. Best to have it painted by a pro. Remember though, the paintjob is only going to be as good as the prep work.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Sounds like I have my work cut out for me. Thanks for the advice guys!

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #23 (permalink)

Remember theres moisture IN the wood. Even though its kiln dried, and left to season for a year, theres still moisture content, and if the humidity goes above the content of the wood, the wood begins absorbing moisture.

If you wanted to do something REEEEALY custom, buy a slab of 3" thick blue foam (Hi-Load 60) and carve a stock that looks like something nobody has ever seen before, THEN glass it and do the whole body-work deal to it. That would really be cool.
sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfan View Post
The hot setup for painting one of these stocks (caveat: not a piano-type finish) is to paint the stock in rocker-panel spray for cars. It gives a rubbery finish that will cover the grain, and if you apint it with semi-gloss krylon it will be easy to touch up.
Brownell's sells some stock paints meant for wood, IIRC.

Also, has anybody ever tried bedliner? It's a tough flexible matt finish with some texture to it. I've always wanted to try it, but never was willing to sacrifice a good stock to experiment with something like Herculiner.

HTRN
Old 11-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDoctor15 View Post
I bid on it, but to tell you the truth, I don't really like the KP3 stock at all. The shape is all wrong to me! I prefer the smoother lines of the KP2 and the slope-back trigger group itself (the KP3 one is very square with that flat rear cap).
Can someone post a pic of the differences between the KP2 and KP3 stocks?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Here ya go Brewtt:

KP2: Stock has straight upper edge from the handgrip to the butt. The trigger group has a rocking safety and a 'slope-back' rear cap. Has a rounded trigger guard.

KP3: Stock has a raised cheek pouch on the upper edge from the handgrip to the butt. The trigger group has a push-pull safety and flat rear cap as well as a trigger return spring. Also, KP3 has a square trigger guard.

Comparison of trigger groups (KP3 on top):

Rear shot of my Blue Streak (identical stock/trigger to KP2 with the exception of the sear). You can see the rocking safety and 'slope-back' look of the rear cap:

My current brass collection, all of these markers have the slope-back trigger group, the MacMurray bolt-action (3rd from top) has a stock with a cheek pouch, although it's not from a KP3...:

Al's Hurricane PD 46 with KP3 stock:

Side shot showing squarish trigger guard:

Rear shot showing flat trigger group and push-pull safety:

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
Old 11-02-2006, 09:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Ah... I see, kind of.

I knew what the differences were on the trigger groups... just not the stock shape.

I have a working KP2 trigger group(slope back and curvy trigger guard) but it is missing the safety parts.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:25 AM   #28 (permalink)

Bedliner might just be the hot setup. I like the stuff with the white threads running through it. Cheap and tough.
sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #29 (permalink)

I can remember spraying an epoxy that was pretty well bed liner on some cabinets once. PITA to spray, but when it was done properly it looked nice and smooth (it flattens nice even with the texture, if that makes any sense). It sits well on wood, couldn't even see the grain because it was so thick, and was even waterproof. The real pain is that it took something like 16 hours to dry so that we could ship it, and cleaning the gun. Clean immediately! Otherwise you will need to drill out the epoxy, we could not find anything that would affect this stuff after it cured.
wespe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Sprayed epoxy, huh? Sounds interesting, did you need a full spray-booth for that?

As for bedliner, here's a picture (not a great one) of a Bolt-Action phantom that some guy custom-made. He used Rhino-Liner for this stock, and said that it has a great feel and came out great:

I don't think I'd like bed-liner though, I want a tough glossy finish that will stand up to paintball hits and to the weather! I wonder if I should finish it before or after sending it to Palmers. I may have to have Palmers build the Nasty and then insert it in the stock myself...

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions