mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 10-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Painting wood? (Sheridan stock)

I've refinished a KP2 stock, and had a good experience staining and then oiling it. For my next project, I'd like to get a stock ready for the 'Nasty treatment.' I'm planning on getting a nice Shiny silver one, nearly identical to the one in this picture:

http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/images...blackstock.JPG

My questions are:

1) What type of paint do you use on wood? Is a spray can suitable for this purpose?

2) How do you get that nice glossy, 'piano-black' finish? And how do you seal the finish so that it doesn't get destroyed once you're finished. Do you use some sort of poly coating?

Thanks in advance!

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

IIRC (I may be wrong) but I always thought that those wood stocks that were black were actually powder coated to look like that. That would give it the strength for sure. . . .as far as the deep black look I don't know!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

As far as I know, you cannot powder coat wood!

Wood comes out of the kilns with a specific moisture content, and then gets milled. If the moisture content drops after that, some serious cracking can occur. We don't call it "honeycomb" at the mill for no reason.

Powder coating invoves spraying a powder on the material, then baking it in an oven to allow the powder to melt and flatten nicely on the material. This baking would suck the moisture out of wood, and more than likely scorch it, ruining the finish.

You would be best off by priming the wood to seal it and smooth out the surface. Then you could spray on the colour coats, laquer looking the best and enamels being my second choice. For that final gloss, spray on several coats of clear gloss laquer. Be sure to make sure before any painting that your stock is free of dust and oils, and always sand between coats, using very fine paper for the final coats. Take your time and you should end up with a nice finish. Rush and it will look like crap.
wespe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fully Stocked

Ive had a really impressive experience with that Duracoat paint, but it's not as THICK as that... you might need to level off the grain texture with some filler of some sort... Here's a pic of Matte black duracoat on wood, it's got a sheen to it but you can still see the grain... if you can smooth it out and get the gloss black duracoat it might look really good ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretG View Post
A KL is like a samuri sword and should reflect the soul of the owner.
Quote:
We came up with a plan... it involved a hijacked truck, two strippers, and lots of brass...
Latoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespe View Post
As far as I know, you cannot powder coat wood!

Wood comes out of the kilns with a specific moisture content, and then gets milled. If the moisture content drops after that, some serious cracking can occur. We don't call it "honeycomb" at the mill for no reason.

Powder coating invoves spraying a powder on the material, then baking it in an oven to allow the powder to melt and flatten nicely on the material. This baking would suck the moisture out of wood, and more than likely scorch it, ruining the finish.

You would be best off by priming the wood to seal it and smooth out the surface. Then you could spray on the colour coats, laquer looking the best and enamels being my second choice. For that final gloss, spray on several coats of clear gloss laquer. Be sure to make sure before any painting that your stock is free of dust and oils, and always sand between coats, using very fine paper for the final coats. Take your time and you should end up with a nice finish. Rush and it will look like crap.
Just an FYI: You actually can powder coat wood. You can powder coat plastic as well. But both take a special process and care. I would not reccomend either though.
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

hmmm. . . .I swear to god thats what I heard but I'm sure I could be wrong!

The duracoat looks good on the stock and from my own experience the stuff is hard as heck to get off or scratch!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fully Stocked

It's been my primary gun all year and have just over a case through it and it's just barely showing wear under the pump handle... really didn't expect it to last that long....

I heard of low-temp powder coating, is that the stuff your talking about? It's supposed to be cosmetically the same just a little less durable..

Quote:
Quote:
We came up with a plan... it involved a hijacked truck, two strippers, and lots of brass...
Old 10-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Are you picking up Al's? Saw that you threw in a bid.

EL Gringo's Feedback
Buy my Black Phoon
El Gringo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fully Stocked

you, me and spindoctor tried for it... He's got it on POG for 950 shipped I hope someone grabs it....

THIS POST HAS BEEN HI_JACKED.... sorry spin... for a good cause though....

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

To get the "piano black" on wood: Sand, fill, sand, seal, sand, prime, sand, lacquer,sand,lacquer,steel wool,lacquer,steel wool, lacquer, 000 steel wool, lacquer,emery cloth, carnuba wax.

Sanding, start out with about 100 grit to 120 grit depending on how rough the stock is. Work your way up to 600 grit.

Hope this helps.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions