mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Nihilistic Mystics

Not sure if I mentioned it on ASP's front page, but the S070 is indeed back in stock.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

I ran 3500 rounds through it over saturday and sunday, with no ball collisions that I could see. I just left the battery in it. Definitely need to use the safety. My main problems were detents and running out of air, both at the final battle.

I had to put the lpr up to about 60 psi again. I think my on/off top orings are too tight, because it would not shoot sometimes on the first couple of trigger pulls after sitting for several minutes, something that it used to do before as a plain pneu. I think the teflon oring is creeping tighter while the pin is not in it and stays opened up while it's being used. It's not something you would care about on mechanical, non-pneu mag.

No ball breaks was a wonderful thing. And yes, it flies.

*edit*

I have to admit I will probably put in a power switch somewhere, of some type. A fresh duracell went 39 hours straight for 3500 rounds and was at 7.6 volts when I pulled it out, still working. My original runtime estimate was based on a 900 mAh rechargeable and 5 mA constant draw which is a very different battery, but I need to look into that.

Whoa, I had been looking at emag battery replacements with the 900 mAh. A Duracell 9V is about 310 mAh, so it will go flat after about 50 or 60 hours. Mystery solved. I'll edit the runtime, which appears to be the limiting factor, not really number of shots.

Last edited by Spider!; 04-17-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I ran 3500 rounds through it over saturday and sunday, with no ball collisions that I could see. I just left the battery in it. Definitely need to use the safety. My main problems were detents and running out of air, both at the final battle.

I had to put the lpr up to about 60 psi again. I think my on/off top orings are too tight, because it would not shoot sometimes on the first couple of trigger pulls after sitting for several minutes, something that it used to do before as a plain pneu. I think the teflon oring is creeping tighter while the pin is not in it and stays opened up while it's being used. It's not something you would care about on mechanical, non-pneu mag.

No ball breaks was a wonderful thing. And yes, it flies.
It is a wonderful thing not having ball breaks isn't it! I notices that as soon as I started using my mag with EP. I used to get at least 1 or more chops per hopper. Now I have run 3500-4000 without a single chop! Short stroking/ overshooting the damn thing was the problem.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

I decided I liked this mag, so I added a power disconnect switch so I can store it for while with the battery in it. Since the power is low enough, I used a magnetic reed switch, SPDT capable of 5 watts. I tested it out with some little 'super' magnets I had and then mounted it to the hard 9V battery top I used. It's just spliced into the positive lead and glued and covered at the hard ends with some black RTV. The heat shriink on the right side covers the pointed solder joint where the red wire runs from the center of the battery cap to the normally closed lead of the switch. The left side is the continuation of the power lead.

I have a velcro cable strap that I glued a magnet to that will hold the magnet up against the grip. The magnet has two easy spots (about 3/4 dia.) on the grip to disable the circuit and two smaller ones (about 1/2 dia). The metal case of the battery cuts down the field on the low side. I keep my mags in cheap but padded hard cases, so this should keep the switch open during storage and transport. It's like an emag power pin without the hole.

Last edited by Spider!; 04-17-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
That is just a cool idea. I like it!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
That is just a cool idea. I like it!
Thanks. The switch cost as much as the rest of the electronics, part by part ($5). I missed the local surplus ones, but they were not much cheaper. I was going to put the part tag up on the digikey list up top, but it's more relative down here...

P/N:HE506-ND
Mfg P/N: MDRR-DT 15-25 F
DESC: SWITCH REED SPDT 5W 15-25 A/T

I kept thinking that there should be a cheaper normally closed one somewhere, but I got tired of looking. It lets you avoid mounting anything on the frame and keeps everything sealed up. I kept getting hit in the marker when I played with it. The whole thing still comes out with the two ram screws and the two switch pins (and the supply hose).
Old 06-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

I got to test the magnet switch today. After a month in the closet, the battery was still good.

I put another 3000 rounds through it today. No chuffs, chops, or breaks. Three single failures to fire on the first trigger pull. I think I have a lube problem between the MPA-3 or the on/off. I suspect the on/off, since it works much better after switching back to the quad oring and a shorter pin.

The trigger bounces and I tend to shoot it with a single finger most of the time.

I did have occasion to shoot a whole pod at a guy to get him out though.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

6/14/09 I put another 800 rounds out on the same battery.

I replaced the on/off inside oring with a buna oring, making it much easier to move, but first shot in a half hour or so would hang until the lpr was bumped up. The lpr (a tickler) could be lowered back down after the first shot. Apparently a slow leak in the pneus allows the pressure to bleed down to the point where there is not enough to push the sear and the difference isn't enough to make the reg open up. I changed the lube in the tickler and will see if it will respond. If that doesn't work, I'll get a micro rock.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Five four three two one

Thanks for keeping us informed. This is a really cool mod.
onecaribou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecaribou View Post
Thanks for keeping us informed. This is a really cool mod.
Thanks for the interest!

Owww......owww...

Another 3800+ rounds on the same battery in 100+ degree F temperatures over 6-27 and 6-28. Total on the battery is now around 7600 rounds. I'll probably pull it out and check the voltage. One barrel break, just past the insert. One double feed (skinny paint probably, sub 0.684). No chuffs. Lots of chiggers. I need a Dr.Scholls sponsorship.

I left the tickler turned up to about 70 psi and had only two first shot hesitations. I'm looking for a micro rock now. After swapping orings and cleaning the tickler a couple of times, I could hear it recharging after low pressure attempts to fire. It squeaks for about half a second. I'm hoping the micro rock's larger bore will get me better response at lower pressures.

I would blame the bad recharge on low dwell on the solenoid, but I had this problem with the MSV as well.

***woot!***

I just realized the total paint load so far is over 11,100 rounds.

Last edited by Spider!; 06-29-2009 at 10:38 AM.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions