mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Respring a HPR to LP operation. I resprung my AA vigilante to output 60psi. It will maintain 60psi on the gage with a full on pissing out leak. No problems with drop off ever. I also found that I was getting those random first shot hangups too, taking it from 50 up to 60 psi was the cure. I haven't had a single lockup since.

I'm still going to try this if just to get it in a more mag appropriate grip lol. I get funy looks with a wrath grip on there.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yeah, I should have taken the hint when I tested the output of the tickler in the first place. The cracking pressure was 18 psi and I thought my gauge was sticking. If I need 40 psi to run and it's sticking for 18-20, 60 to 70 psi works as long as the sticking is consistent.

I like the front VA mounting and needed an excuse to get a micro rock anyway. I'm trying to trade off a classic mag valve for a black micro. The whole thing works well enough to gobble up paint as it is, so I'll be happy with complete first shot reliability.

I still need to draw up the little test circuit. It is just a 555 timer with a transistor and a pair of leds, but it helps to show you that it is working and nothing is crossed up, and it's a lot cheaper than an oscilloscope. I can't remember which way I put the transistor in, I keep mixing up the different types. I will just have to do it again. That would be air conditioned at least.

Last edited by Spider!; 06-30-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have a scenario coming up and I couldn't stand the curiosity anymore and had to take the battery out. After over 7600 rounds and more than four days of scenario play, the battery was at 7.93 volts.

Between installing a micro rock and pushing the ram back a tiny bit (I tried at least), the first shot problem seems to be gone.

I jeweled the valve since plan on keeping this one.
The AO keychain is my magnetic battery disconnect.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Very nice. I love the 555 / 556 timers. You can do so much with them.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
OK, I made one....... Does absolutely nothing lol.

Which whay is the chip facing in the diagram? Is that looking up from the bottom or down from the top? Also which is pin one? I assumed it was the one with the molded dot beside it.

It could alos by my lousy soldering, thats an awful pile of parts in a very small space. I have very shaky hands

As you can guess, I know how to stick things together but not neccesarily what the hell I am doing

Which end of the diodes is the line and which is the arrow?? I assumed the line on the diagram matched the line on the end of the diode. I know they won't do what they are supposed to when backwards, but I have no idea which way is the right way lol.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
OK, I made one....... Does absolutely nothing lol.

Which whay is the chip facing in the diagram? Is that looking up from the bottom or down from the top? Also which is pin one? I assumed it was the one with the molded dot beside it.

It could alos by my lousy soldering, thats an awful pile of parts in a very small space. I have very shaky hands

As you can guess, I know how to stick things together but not neccesarily what the hell I am doing

Which end of the diodes is the line and which is the arrow?? I assumed the line on the diagram matched the line on the end of the diode. I know they won't do what they are supposed to when backwards, but I have no idea which way is the right way lol.
Pin one is the upper left pin when you are looking at the top of the chip with the notch facing up. The dot over the corner pin should be the same one. If you are turning the chip over and soldering on the bottom, you have to redraw the diagram or do it in your head. I usually try it in my head and have to redraw anyway. It's easy to mess up when you turn it upside down.

Diodes have a line on them that corresponds to the line side of the diagram. If you have the tiny signal diode (1N4148), the black side is the "line" side, the brown side is the input side. You can see it pointing up in my picture, where it joins the output lead.

Test the chip on a led in series with a 220 to 3xx resistor instead of the solenoid. That makes sure the chip works and keeps the battery voltage off the solenoid for extended time.

Any short in that jumble of wires will short it out, so you have to look closely.

What size of cap did you find for the 47 pf? Your problem shouldn't be in that one, I'm just curious. If that one is too large, you won't get your delay between pulses, but it will pulse.

I think I shorted mine a few times, but nothing ever melted. Just don't leave the solenoid hooked up to 9 volts for a long time (idk how long, but it's not rated for that). A 10 msec pulse at 9 volts seems to be ok for it though, which makes sense. I was sure I put it together right each time I rearranged it, but always put something on the wrong pin.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Pin one is the upper left pin when you are looking at the top of the chip with the notch facing up. The dot over the corner pin should be the same one. If you are turning the chip over and soldering on the bottom, you have to redraw the diagram or do it in your head. I usually try it in my head and have to redraw anyway. It's easy to mess up when you turn it upside down.

Diodes have a line on them that corresponds to the line side of the diagram. If you have the tiny signal diode (1N4148), the black side is the "line" side, the brown side is the input side. You can see it pointing up in my picture, where it joins the output lead.

Test the chip on a led in series with a 220 to 3xx resistor instead of the solenoid. That makes sure the chip works and keeps the battery voltage off the solenoid for extended time.

Any short in that jumble of wires will short it out, so you have to look closely.

What size of cap did you find for the 47 pf? Your problem shouldn't be in that one, I'm just curious. If that one is too large, you won't get your delay between pulses, but it will pulse.

I think I shorted mine a few times, but nothing ever melted. Just don't leave the solenoid hooked up to 9 volts for a long time (idk how long, but it's not rated for that). A 10 msec pulse at 9 volts seems to be ok for it though, which makes sense. I was sure I put it together right each time I rearranged it, but always put something on the wrong pin.
I did it the right way then. I messed myself up a few times trying to visualize it backwards lol.

I think I found some 47 pf to put in there but I'm not entirely sure, I'll have to look lol. I have lots of bits I may just make another.

I think I may breadboard it to get is straight in my head. I may go over the top with some of those parts to make some space, its a lot of crap in a little tiny spot!

Would swapping that little brown and black one with one of the black ones cause a problem? I did do that

Last edited by dukie; 09-06-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
I did it the right way then. I messed myself up a few times trying to visualize it backwards lol.

I think I found some 47 pf to put in there but I'm not entirely sure, I'll have to look lol. I have lots of bits I may just make another.

I think I may breadboard it to get is straight in my head. I may go over the top with some of those parts to make some space, its a lot of crap in a little tiny spot!
I'll start another chip to re-check the diagram, especially now that's been a while. I made that one from my notes. I need to try one cold, without thinking about what each pin does.

I originally thought I would flatten the pins out first and wire both sides like a big bug, but after I cleaned out my intelliframe I found that corner pocket to be a good size.

I wonder if I can mail a finished circuit across the border. I might get put on a list somewhere....

**edit**
12/02/09

Made a chip for dukie with the circuit drawing above and it seemed to work. From games in Sept. and November, shot count is above 13,100.

Last edited by Spider!; 12-02-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Hey spider, Have you tried to make one using the exact directions? I want to try this.
SockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'll start another chip to re-check the diagram, especially now that's been a while. I made that one from my notes. I need to try one cold, without thinking about what each pin does.

I originally thought I would flatten the pins out first and wire both sides like a big bug, but after I cleaned out my intelliframe I found that corner pocket to be a good size.

I wonder if I can mail a finished circuit across the border. I might get put on a list somewhere....

**edit**
12/02/09

Made a chip for dukie with the circuit drawing above and it seemed to work. From games in Sept. and November, shot count is above 13,100.
Ha! I didn't realize you had made another one for me. I just found it agian on the weeked. Now I have a frame coming that I can put it into. Houston we are go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockMonkey View Post
Hey spider, Have you tried to make one using the exact directions? I want to try this.
I tried. I suck. My hands shake too much for a little chip like that.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions