mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Open Source Paintball Gun

I'm heading off to Castle today, but I wanted to throw this out there and get people thinking.

I want to build an open source semi auto paintball gun. For the players by the players. To bring a "spark" back into the paintball world. A medium priced paintball gun that can be built by us, sold to ourselves for basically the cost plus some extra for future projects in this open source company of ours.

When I say open source, I mean we post all the cad drawings, dimensions, etc. This will allow 3rd party companies to create upgrades and new components. Bringing sales to 3rd party companies and new companies that don't exist yet!

This will also bring work to people on the site already who might be interested in doing a run of grip frames, milling a body... etc.

Not wanting to step on any toes, I've been trying to put some thought into this. We have pump guns galore around here. I'm thinking an electro semi. And I'm thinking something along the lines of a Threshold / Ion style. They're simple.

But I want to throw this out there, and see what people think. Is this even feasible? Do we have the resources and connections around here to do this? Would people even be interested?

Innovation has all been killed in this sport with the thought of making millions. But the truth is, there are a lot of companies going out of business. Like the tech bubble of the early 2000 years, it's just not really there.

So why can't we make something that we can enjoy, use, and know that we either had a hand in putting together, or know we're helping our friends.

In the end, we find out where we can make part x. Post how much it will cost. We add up all the costs, and we tack on 25 or 50 dollars and sell the gun for that price.

The extra $50 will be put aside (and we'll keep a tally of it) and that money will be used for further research or seed money for the next project or for paying for the next batch, etc.

Depending on the cost and feasibility, I'll help front the cost. I also have a few local machine shops, but so don't most of us.

Keep this internal or at least very close by. Get it done fast and reasonable.

I think it's possible, and could be very fun, if at the least interesting.

Thoughts?
Sailing Blog - http://www.slightlycrewed.com
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
First, buy some liability insurance...

Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I'm not very talented in this area, but I would open my wallet as far as I could to buy one or more of these things as well as giving my opinions on things.

We've had people on here make whole one off guns, and small batch guns, the talent and resources are here, just a matter of getting people to agree on the basics so that things can build off them. I do agree that some kind of semi (electric or mech) is the best bet.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Good point... Unless we just build parts that we put together? Hmmm... Will have to think on that for sure, as I manufacture stuff here and understand the liability junk.

As for the gun, my mind always goes back to the: Create something as if CCM or PPS built a single tubed semi. What would it look like?
Sailing Blog - http://www.slightlycrewed.com
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
CCI built one of those I believe... and so did PPS. I forget what the CCI semi-Phantom was called but the PPS effort was called the "Tornado".

Why don't we start with a kick-*** open source mask fan?

D
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
I forget what the CCI semi-Phantom was called
D
Revolution, I want to see it some day
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Henchemen Inc!

Send a message via AIM to vf-xx

You're not the only one trying to resurrect PB innovation:

Tom Kay's idea.

Apparently, I really, REALLY, need to get my hands on some CAD software again.

Anybody know where I can get a 'cheap' version of Autodesk: Inventor?
vf-xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Legendary

Ok, but it's got to have lots of room for doohickies and random crap. I want random ports and screws that allow me to add aftermarket mods of questionable performance increase (think hoses, spikes, and 'low pressure chambers').

It also should be mostly unmilled to allow for creativity.
Bonesjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
TANSTAAFL

CCM Fan
How are you going to come up with a system that hasn't already been done? All the popular ones are covered by (multiple) patents, and many of the others are being kept quiet by their creators. As soon as you come up with something, even if it hasn't been done before, someone will come along and patent it themselves.

That being said, I'm good for one.
"WHY is that guy licking Criticals pants?"
My Feedback
Critical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
How are you going to come up with a system that hasn't already been done? All the popular ones are covered by (multiple) patents, and many of the others are being kept quiet by their creators. As soon as you come up with something, even if it hasn't been done before, someone will come along and patent it themselves.

That being said, I'm good for one.
Well, Aardvark closed down and stopped production of their Matrix Slam bolt after DYE's cease and desist in 2004. It was quite unique and offers the lowest kick of any bolt system of any gun, and I'm willing to lay money on it.

The point is, I wonder if we could pick up on the Slam where they left off. Anyone have contact info for Greg Duncan?
Bonesjackson is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions