mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Old School Paintball

So "Old School" is a perspective thing.

What was Old School when you started playing, and what is it now? What was the "State of the art guy" using when you started

For me I started in 1999 with my F4 out here in the middle of nowhere and Old School paintball guns were your basic pumps, Brass Eagles and Kingman mostly because the only shop in the area carried them the average guy was using a Spyder or a Tippman semi and the state of the are guys (we had 3) I remember quite clearly were an Automag RT classic, RT Pro and a Minimag.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.

Last edited by Greenmtnphantom; 12-04-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Greenmtnphantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

Old School when I started was watching Total Greif pwn people with their Phantoms. Angels and shoebox Shockers were the high end guns.

Jay

Best Field in STL
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

I started in December of 2002 with a cheap-o BE Blade 02. My bro (who started the same time as me) upgraded to Spyder clones, which was what most of the local recballers were using at the time. A few of us had 98s as well, but my bro and I couldn't afford those at the time. The local tourney players were using either autocockers or Bushmasters/BKOs back then, with an occasional Intimidator or Angel thrown in the mix.

glaman5266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

My first time out was roughly around ~2000. The rentals were pro carbines or pro lites and I remember seeing an autococker and thought to myself how it would suck having that thing(backblock) keeping blowing back into your face. I just rented for a long time since my parents wouldn't let me buy my own so when I actually got into the game and started learning what different markers were I saw a matrix and an intimidator at the field one day and those 2 talked trash about each others markers. I remember when everybody was obsessed when Angels and how every kid like me thought they were the best.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I started in '92 so old school to me was like SMG's and early non factory fancy pumps, and 68 specials..

My first gun was a WGP Ranger pump, and followed up several years later by a Icon Z1

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hmm..

I may have started back in 2004/5, can't really remember. When I think of the old school days for myself it was those days of finding a area of woods with a group of 6 or 7 kids my age just out to shoot each other. The guns were typically the spyders, STBBs (my own VL triad ) and maybe a tipp98 or two. Those days were really some of the most fun I've had in paintball, just discovering the sport was such a rush for me. I remember the best of the best was anything Angel, all I knew was they were up past $1000 and really fast. Later on I picked up a A-5 which was top of the line as far as the local crowd went. Ahh those were fun times, innocent kids with guns (cranked as far up as possible of course) shooting each other in the woods.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to pbmaniac

I started in 87 with a nelspot 007. old school was a rental splatmaster. Phantoms owned the field there was no defense against all that firepower.
pbmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I started in 1987. I was using a bolt action Nelspot 007 and quickly upgraded to a PVC homemade pump. I think I was using the "old school" stuff at the time.

As to the "state of the art guys"... they were using Sheridans. When 1989/90/91 rolled around, I was the "state of the art" guy with my brand new Automag (CF00230)! I still have and use that wonderful marker. It is stock original with all of its level 5 parts intact.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I started out looking for cattle markers. The big feed store in Austin said there was a pistol and a rifle, but I would have to call a store in El Paso to get one. I called there and was disappointed to find out they were $150-$200. I had to wait until there was a field with rentals in Dallas. I think the first time was the kick-off for my brother in-law's bachelor party.

A couple years later I bought a Piranha LB. I didn't know at the time it was a good marker, but it had a pump handle and a "CA" adapter. There wasn't a lot of choice that I could find. That was 89 iirc.

Three or four of us used to play on my father's farm. It took me a long time to figure out what "outlaw" paintball was, since there was no "law" to be out of.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaniac View Post
I started in 87 with a nelspot 007. old school was a rental splatmaster. Phantoms owned the field there was no defense against all that firepower.
Oh noo's! The autotrigger!

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone