mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Opinion: best starter gun for 14 yr old newphew (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/1035-opinion-best-starter-gun-14-yr-old-newphew.html)

PJ 05-13-2006 10:34 PM

Opinion: best starter gun for 14 yr old newphew

My newphew just finished middle school and is starting to get into paintball (yee-hah!). Well, let me rephrase that - my sister-in-law has decided paintball isn't a bad thing and is letting him play some, and she may even let him hit a scenario game with me sometime soon. I had first thought about finishing the unibody Phantom I have (need a bolt and she's ready to go!), but thought that he may not be ready for stock/pump play yet as his friends have the typical electros and Cockers. So, what gun would ya'll recommend for him? He's a very bright young man (can't call him a kid anymore), but I don't want him to have to spend a lot of time fiddling with it instead of playing. I don't want to spend a whole lot on it, so let's say $100-150 price range. I was initially leaning towards a Tippmann 98C, some sort of Spyder/JABB, or a Mag, but wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks gang!

mike31c 05-13-2006 11:06 PM

98c's are nice, and used mags are cool too. Used a-5's may go slightly higher but they are nearly indestructable and has a wide variety of stuff to put on it should you decide to make it more to your liking.

pecoto 05-14-2006 02:02 AM

Virtually any Tippmann or Spider will do....I have even heard good things about the JABB Pirahnas. I say take him into your local Pro Shop (if you are lucky enough to have one nearby) or WalMart and let him handle a couple and see what fits him the best. Comfort can be a big deal with a marker, especially for a younger player, and a lot of modern markers seem to be designed for bigger hands. I would recommend staying away from anything but jabbs for awhile....a lot of people swear by markers others say are finicky (I'm looking at you Mags and Cockers) but if a jabb goes down it is virtually always just an o-ring away from being fixed. Simple = better for beginners, and it doesn't get much simpler than jabbs.

HurtCow 05-14-2006 04:17 AM

I just picked up a virtually new 'refurbished' camo-finish M98 Custom Pro for $110 from ebay. It comes with an upgraded barrel, double trigger and drop, and accepts an e-trigger kit. My 98s and my Alley Cat are the only blowbacks I ever still use at the field over my 'better' guns. I'm looking forward to trying this one out at next weekend's scenario game with the e-trigger, Cyclone, lightened hammer and Flatline I threw on it.

So yeah, 98. It's a 'beginner' gun that can be upgraded to keep up with the 'good' guns and if you don't mess with it, it'll never let you down.

shartley 05-14-2006 07:24 AM

I have to agree with what has been posted so far. Nothing more to add.

DarkStar 05-14-2006 02:38 PM

Unless you have all the other soft-goods he's going to need, perhaps that budget should be re-adjusted to inlcude a cheaper gun + Mask + Harness + Pods + Loader + Tank...

Going with that Idea, a Brass Eagle Raptor is a great intro gun. You can find one for as little as $25-30 and is a well built JABB. Perhaps even try to find someone on ebay dumping their full kit.

-MR

Flatline's Up! 05-14-2006 07:16 PM

or if you want to teach him to play (non speedball), get him a PGP or other good proven pump.

He will become a better paintball player in the long run IMHO. Esp if he understands why he isn't playing with the 20bps gun that his friend is (yet he still flanks and shoots him out)

He'll learn skills that will easily transfer into faster guns and make him a more well rounded player.

Just my $.02 take it for what it's worth.

mark 05-14-2006 07:17 PM

I didn't really read any of the thread, but tippys, mech spyders and used mags are all really reliable/durable and don't cost too much. I had a mech spyder clone as my first gun. I treated it like crap and beat the crap out of it, and it never gave out on me.

PJ 05-14-2006 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline's Up!
or if you want to teach him to play (non speedball), get him a PGP or other good proven pump.

He will become a better paintball player in the long run IMHO. Esp if he understands why he isn't playing with the 20bps gun that his friend is (yet he still flanks and shoots him out)

He'll learn skills that will easily transfer into faster guns and make him a more well rounded player.

Just my $.02 take it for what it's worth.

The teaching part would work out OK if we were together more (~3.5 hours away) and if I truly knew how to do those things myself. All these years and I STILL "inhale profusely" IMO, but as RamboPreacher is fond of saying, PBIF!! (Paintball is fun!!)
:D

shartley 05-14-2006 08:18 PM

Yeah, pumps are not always the best bet for new players IMHO. They don’t even have down the basics of the game yet, no need to also put them at a huge disadvantage concerning ROF. That can actually drive a player away from the game. It is best to give them something they can at least compete relatively evenly with.

Then when they are hooked and have some basic skills give them a pump marker. :D