mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Making a standard thread for all Paintball Guns... "Autococker". (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/107294-making-standard-thread-all-paintball-guns-autococker.html)

manike 02-03-2010 12:15 PM

Making a standard thread for all Paintball Guns... "Autococker".

I am a believer that the less different barrel threads in paintball the better. Now that I have my website up and running a little better I wanted to make technical resources available to everyone, and this is something that has been bugging me for ages and that I have wanted to publish for a long time.

Autococker, although not a great thread in all honesty (for length of gun reasons, and unthreading reasons), has become pretty much a standard in Paintball.

Unfortunately when Budd Orr made Autococker barrels he never made a technical drawing available to everyone (that I could find) to specify exactly how they should be made, or how the gun's internal receiver for the barrel should be made.

This has led to many different people "having a go" at it with varied success, and unfortunately we have ended up with many different set ups hitting the market such that there has been compatibility issues in the past between what were supposedly "autococker" threaded barrel and "autococker" threaded guns.

We ran into this issue when we made the Invert Mini. The barrel was a beautiful fit to the gun, but unfortunately some aftermarket barrels didn't fit or were crazy tight because of the slip fit dimensions we set up for the inside of the guns breech.

That led us to measure every gun and barrel we could get our hands on, and come up with a set of dimensions that, whilst they annoy the heck out of me from an engineering fit point of view :), ... should allow guns and barrels made to these dimensions to work with almost all aftermarket barrels and in almost all guns.

The PDF file for the Barrel and Gun dimensions are here. http://www.simonized.com/images/simons/SPEC.PDF

Now this isn't set in stone, and I welcome input into this.

Here I have an Excel spreadsheet of barrels and guns that we measured and the dimensions that resulted. http://www.simonized.com/images/simo...rel%20Spec.xls

If you have any barrels or guns that aren't on the list, please add them in a post below. Or in the thread here on my website. Making a standard thread for all Paintball Guns... "Autococker".

Thanks

Simon

desertT1 02-03-2010 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks very good Simon, thanks for making the pdf available to us. I used my new style Kaner that came on my Karnivor as the model for my Ace of Spades project. While I didn't do a complete drawing, the major dimensions line up to what you have.

OD: .857
Collar length: 1.250
Threaded length: ~.250

doc Zox 02-03-2010 12:44 PM

I would think whatever AKALMP used for their "Autococker" threads on the Javelin Barrels
was mechanically set up for consistent usage. My Excal & Viking have yet to meet a barrel that did not mount up.

russc 02-03-2010 12:44 PM

The thread differences are so annoying. I have a LAPCO sizer stuck on my favorite un1tec right now because I went too far and they jammed together.

pillage 02-03-2010 12:55 PM

Nothing like everybody and their brother coming up with their own specs for tolerances. A good constant would be great. Nice job Simon.

HP_Lovecraft 02-03-2010 02:09 PM

UNF 15/16-20, Oversize GH-7 are the official threads

But it doesnt help that it appears some shops were doing just 15/16-20 threads instead, perhaps because the taps were much more common and cheaper. Some might have used similar metric sizes because it worked in there guns. Other shops were machining in threads, resulting in different specs as well.

Cockerpunk 02-03-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft (Post 1153889)
UNF 15/16-20, Oversize GH-7 are the official threads

But it doesnt help that it appears some shops were doing just 15/16-20 threads instead, perhaps because the taps were much more common and cheaper. Some might have used similar metric sizes because it worked in there guns. Other shops were machining in threads, resulting in different specs as well.

the threads themselves are not really the issue simon is bringing up.

he is talking about the socket for the barrel and the shank on the barrel being out of spec.

DFSniper 02-03-2010 02:41 PM

i have that same problem with spyder threads. using a PCS US-5 adapter on my A5, my freak insert seems to catch the bolt, causing it to stock. my ceramic does the same... i should have just gone with a lapco adapter.

Schmitti 02-03-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockerpunk (Post 1153928)
the threads themselves are not really the issue simon is bringing up.

he is talking about the socket for the barrel and the shank on the barrel being out of spec.

I think he was just bringing up another valid issue that is key in fit.. I have seen this with other barrels also. It used to happen with the threads on aftermarket "phantom" threaded barrels too.

I would think the threads would be more of a problem unless the un-threaded portion leading the barrel had so much extra length that the threads wouldn't catch.

E

shadow_772 02-03-2010 02:54 PM

It will be a happy day when all companies make all AC threaded markers (ends dream) :]