mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Getting a bad name (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/1110-getting-bad-name.html)

mrwisker 05-22-2006 05:38 PM

Getting a bad name

Either I never notices before or it doesn't happen that often, but,
in the last week or so, there was an article in the police section of the local paper.
Sombody had their house shot up with paintballs.
And today, passing through town, I noticed an establishment with several unmistakable splats on the front of the building.
I guess that the bigger paintball gets the more this will happen.
Leave it to the nit wits to make a good thing look bad.

Runaway 66 05-22-2006 06:28 PM

Some signs in my neighborhood have splats on them, it's really embarassing to the sprot and contributes to why some people don't "approve" of the sport.

Cleric 05-22-2006 07:52 PM

Yes it is sad to see immature people sully the good name of our sport. I have a street sign near my home that has the unmistakable spats of 3 paintballs on it. They are long since washed away but in the right light they are still splats there from the past.

Brewtt 05-22-2006 08:12 PM

I go on camping/paintball trips in the Sierra Nevada mountains. At least twice I have stopped and cleaned paintball splats from road signs that other groups have left out in the wilderness. :angry:

The people I play with know to never use paintball guns as cheap vandalism tools. I wish everyone felt the same.

Walking_Target 05-22-2006 09:56 PM

heh... i hate when the '1337 ub3r kiddiez' do that crap.

two of my neighbours know i paintball, so when a building in my area got shot up i got a visit from the police.

the police asked questions, and asked to see my gear. when i hauled everything out (and i mean everything) and answered all the questions that were asked they showed me some pictures and asked my opinion on what kind of marker was used, where that kinda thing could be obtained...

the factors that prevented me from getting a quick trip downtown? my paint was the wrong color, and the only 'air' i had was in 12g size. driveby shootings that leave long streaks of paint splats less than 1' apart aren't generally caused by PGPs :P

HurtCow 05-23-2006 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewtt
I go on camping/paintball trips in the Sierra Nevada mountains. At least twice I have stopped and cleaned paintball splats from road signs that other groups have left out in the wilderness. :angry:

I noticed that last summer on a camping trip to Bowman Lake, up off 80 and 20, NW of Truckee. Fresh paint all over the friggin' campground. Looked like some punks walked around shooting everything in sight. :gunsfiring:

Robertsr 05-23-2006 08:12 AM

You know, not to sound like I approve of this kind of thing, but I recall in the dim mists of my youth when kids used to shoot up the area with 22's instead of paintballs.

I'm not approving of the activity by any means... I guess I'm just remembering that stupidity isn't confined to paintball guns.

Brewtt 05-23-2006 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewtt

The people I play with know to never use paintball guns as cheap vandalism tools. I wish everyone felt the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurtCow
I noticed that last summer on a camping trip to Bowman Lake, up off 80 and 20, NW of Truckee. Fresh paint all over the friggin' campground. Looked like some punks walked around shooting everything in sight. :gunsfiring:

That's the exact place we go. Grouse Ridge/Bowman Lake area.
We like Meadow Lake, Lake of the Woods, Catfish Lake, Jackson Lake, etc. GREAT AREA!

I've cleaned paint splats up multiple times from signs/campgrounds up there. Don't get me wrong... it's perfectly legal to play up there... all US Forest Service land and private railroad land managed by the US Forest Service. But you've got to NOT paint up the campground areas and the road signs. :angry:

Firestorm 05-23-2006 10:15 PM

You know, everyone in the town I was in before I moved that knew anything about paintball knew me. Out of all the times stuff got shot up the cops never came to me once.

WilD 05-23-2006 10:38 PM

I brought up paintball at a family event last weekend because I knew my brother-in-law had just purchased his first marker. The conversation immediately turned to vandalism as that was the only exposure some of the older people there had with it. Aparantly, one person present had their house shot up in random drivebys a couple times. I was quite frankly disapointed by this news and it ruined my conversation.

That kind of BS has been going on as long as I have been around the sport. When I started playing in rural SW Michigan in the mid nineties, the only place to get supplies was a tiny shop (open friday after work and Saturday morning) the next town over. I would typically go in and buy a zip-lock baggy with 100 rounds of whatever he had on hand. There was a brief period when the proprietor kept a list of everyone who bought paint and what color it was to cooperate with the local PD who were investigating paintball vandalism in the area. I did not appreciate that...