mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
How is that not a concussion? What energy resulting from impact DOESN'T create a wave that passes through the bone and disrupts brain activity? Or did an EM wave spontaneously form at impact and travel through and cook the brain?

What some of the people here are describing aren't concussions -- they're probably hits to nerve/pressure points as we've tried to indicate. There are such nerve clusters near the back of the jaw (mandibular nerve) and along the temple.

Again, nobody's going to attempt to actually revisit the math, huh?
You're a feisty little guy huh?
Two things. First, what is being discussed can not be considered what we generally know of as a full concussive event. In that sense, accelerating the brain fast enough to cause temporary or even permanent damage. This can happen even in a helmeted or protected head. A helmet is designed, among other considerations, to slow and attenuate acceleration so as to protect the brain. This event involves the brain hitting the inside of the skull.When you ask for mathematical constants to explain concussions, this is what you are referring to.
But another type of event is a strike or impact that does not appreciably move the head enough to incur brain injury from acceleration, but from energy transfer of the object into the brain, the mechanism of which is a waveform. The wave frequency can be so small that it cannot move or accelerate the mass of the brain, but contain enough power to jolt a part of the brain that may induce concussive symptoms. A miniature concussion, if you will. This is what happens when you get hit with a baseball, a small rock, or sometimes with a paintball. There is no math to model to it, because much depends on the angle of impact, where on the head it hits, and maybe the hardness of the paintball itself, as well as other factors. It is an unpredictable event, but it happens frequently. It is not a "pressure point" being hit, as that involves certain nerve centers hit in certain ways, for instance when I left-hook your jaw and you crumple to the ground in a growing pool of your own piss. In that case, you went night-night because of a pressure-point nerve bundle impact that effected your brain, but did not happen because of a concussion.
I hope this helps to explain my position and opinion a little better for some of those that just got up to speed.
Brent.
MassDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
MCB Member

Within the anecdotes and math arguments, there are a couple things of value. While the OP (as far back as it was) was looking at an outright concussion, we know there are detrimental effects from repeated head impacts in other sports (much larger of course). Also, even a simple shot to a pressure point can't be good for you on a regular basis. It is fortunate that none of these anecdotes don't include getting impaled while falling down.

Paintball is relatively safe, but don't take it all for granted.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #33 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

That was a pretty drawn out backpedaling, but I’ll just cut this short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassDriver View Post
A miniature concussion, if you will.
A mini-concussion is still a concussion.

Quote:
This is what happens when you get hit with a baseball, a small rock, or sometimes with a paintball. There is no math to model to it, because much depends on the angle of impact, where on the head it hits, and maybe the hardness of the paintball itself, as well as other factors. It is an unpredictable event, but it happens frequently. It is not a "pressure point" being hit, as that involves certain nerve centers hit in certain ways, for instance when I left-hook your jaw and you crumple to the ground in a growing pool of your own piss. In that case, you went night-night because of a pressure-point nerve bundle impact that effected your brain, but did not happen because of a concussion.
Yes, when the jaw is hit, the disruption is usually due to the nerve center at the back of the jaw, near the ear.

So how about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
I got shot in the head behind my ear one time, so hard I saw stars... AND I wear a full helmet... (jt flex 8).
You can’t say for sure, but based on your knowledge, do you think that was more likely to be a “mini-concussion” or a nerve strike?

Quote:
I hope this helps to explain my position and opinion a little better for some of those that just got up to speed.
Well, it certainly explains... a lot.

So back on topic:

So still no attempt to just fix the math? Ignore the concussion part of it -- just fix the paintball’s own force calculation?

How does one start with a mass (i.e. kg) and velocity (i.e. m/s) and end up with a force (i.e. kg*m/s^2)?

That doesn’t violate anyone else’s obviously finely tuned sense of physics? (Or, you know, just basic math?)
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #34 (permalink)

I like Goatboy. He's just like a real goat. But a goat that can type.
Brent.
MassDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #35 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Physics 111: Fundamental Physics I: Paintball Physics
Laku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Anyone find anything fishy in this calculation?
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #37 (permalink)
Not Banned Kerry

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
Anyone find anything fishy in this calculation?
They didnt carry the one?
The fact that they didnt include air resistance is kinda a big deal with paintballs

Either way all these threads with paintball "physics" just end up with people getting mad.
reminds me of the 4chan thread when somone asked how high you had to drop a steak for it to cook from the friction in the air
lotsa people trying to get e-thug points

http://m.chanarchive.org/4chan/sci/6...09640#p5209833

Black Chrome T8, CCM S5, Invert Mini I, Invert Mini II, Y-framed Minimag
Feedback.
Author of Useful Resources For Tiberius Owners.

Last edited by Mr.Smith; 02-02-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Mr.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #38 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Here's one from automags.org for paintball kinetic energy

And this one goes deeper to the physics of paintball flight, you can basically just skip to the results part and check how much distance affects to paintball speed. THE PHYSICS OF PAINTBALL

So at 50 ft (15.24 meters) distance the velocity is around 200ft/s.

Kinetic Energy = 1/2 (mass)(Velocity^2)

velocity = 200 ft/s = 60.96 m/s
mass = 0.0032 kg
KE = 1/2 * 0.0032 * 60.96^2 = 5.946 Joules or 4.386 foot pounds

So that makes makes it about equal of force required to lift an object that weights 0.6067 kg to height of 1 meter.

Last edited by Laku; 02-03-2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: added calculations
Laku is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone